The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jodphurs at Ralph Lauren...Who would have thought?

Look what I found: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

Looks like the "equestrian look" might be coming into style! Then, we can wear our riding clothes to work/school and straight to the barn (without the funny looks!).

*Of course it is Ralph Lauren POLO, but still, I have never seen an outfit that was so obviously a riding outfit. Maybe I dont pay attention enough?
    Last edited by spmoonie; Sep. 13, 2009 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spmoonie View Post
    Look what I found: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

Looks like the "equestrian look" might be coming into style! Then, we can wear our riding clothes to work/school and straight to the barn (without the funny looks!).
    'Coming' into style? This is a fashion 'trend' that has been trending for, uh, decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    'Coming' into style? This is a fashion 'trend' that has been trending for, uh, decades.
    Oh, really? I look at the Ralph Lauren website fairly often and I had never seen those before. Dont get me wrong, I've seen some horse inspired outfits, but never really seen anything quite so "obvious."

I've seen boots and such that resembled riding boots, but until now, I havent come across fashion jodphurs.

Yes, I believe it has been around for awhile...
    If I remember correctly, there was a photo essay in the NY Times on women in NYC that wore them...

Riding inspired attire goes in and out of fashion

Hmm, that price isn't bad compared to actual breeches and schooling tights... and they do look comfy. Might have to try a pair on an actual horse. (:

I've also noticed the current Lands End catalog/website has some equestrian influenced styles.
    Cindy

I actually have a pair of white full seat breeches made by Ralph Lauren. They aren't inspired daily wear. They are real. Funny thing is I found them on a clearance rack at Marshells years ago.

Saw a similar pair in black, without the cuff at a J. Crew Outlet. They were more like leggings but with a noticeable "knee patch" like a jodphur.

I agree, this has been a huge major trend in fashion forever. The fall issues of Vogue seem to always feature Ralph Lauren equestrian-centric ads (and other designers, too).
    Vixen Run Farm: Breeding and training ponies for the hunter ring!
    Breeder of the 2008 PAHBF's Best PA Bred Pony!

equestrian wear use to be everyday wear. As such it is the foundation of most mens wear and in womens wear has never been out of style

Ever seen Project Runway?

Several of the cast members across the seasons have worn full-out equestrian looks, complete with tall boots.

I ran into the mall after getting done working horses in my tall boots, breeches and a polo shirt. Now I am not equitation rider size (to short and stocky!) but was pretty fit. I had a bunch of 'mall rats' (young girls dressed like pros if you know what I mean......) come up to me and tell me I did not have the body, makeup, or build to pull of that fashion trend. My only response was I was dressed for and coming from work, and that it looked like they were too!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgie View Post
    Ever seen Project Runway?

Several of the cast members across the seasons have worn full-out equestrian looks, complete with tall boots.
    Oh yea that one contestant Laura ALWAYS ALWAYS wore breeches and tall boots. That was really odd to me. I mean I'd wear em everyday but I just didn't understand why she did. Especially if she never actually rode?

Ralph Lauren has a jodphur/breech type pant out every season. For my entire life.

I find that like 75% of every RL collection is equestrian inspired...nothing new there.

Ralph Lauren always has some items that are equestrian-esque. I think that is what makes Ralph Lauren iconic. People riding around in those clothes on the weekend touring their estate. Haha.

Brooks Brothers had some nice oufits last fall with a gorgeous red quilted blazer. It was fitted, and from far away looked like a hunt coat, but up close was a really pretty fall jacket. It looked awesome with jeans--I couldn't wear it with tan pants and boots, though. That just seemed corny.
    Illinois Equine Attorney - www.zipptocourt.com

I just saw breeches Friday at JCPenny

The ones that are linked are in children's sizes- for us adults Ralph Lauren offers this this season http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search

Quote Originally Posted by spmoonie View Post
    Oh, really? I look at the Ralph Lauren website fairly often and I had never seen those before. Dont get me wrong, I've seen some horse inspired outfits, but never really seen anything quite so "obvious."

I've seen boots and such that resembled riding boots, but until now, I havent come across fashion jodphurs.
    These are in the children's section, so maybe that's why you missed them.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

RL is also taking some looks from saddle seat http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search a cropped day coat of sorts- its might actually make an interesting coat for a side saddle habit.

There is also a hacking jacket for the hunt seat crowd http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search it only costs about what actually getting one custom made does (if not a little more ).

anyone take a look at the cover of the latest Talbot's catalogue?