The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shadbelly question

So, in preparation for my first one star this winter, I guess I need to start thinking about getting a shadbelly and tophat (cringe large dollar signs flash through my brain)

Where does everyone purchase their shadbellys and top hats? What brands are popular? I want something that is nice quality so that it doesn't look cheap.

Also, is it okay to wear tan breeches with a shadbelly? I have never much liked white breeches.

Thanks!

I bought mine from here:

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/

The Pikeur shadbellies are really nicely made, and this site sells them for a third the cost. I thought shipping would take a long time, but it arrived about a week after I ordered it. Make sure you know your size, because it's hard to return, but you can get your size by trying on the regular Pikeur jackets at a tack shop.

And I NEVER wear white breeches. I'm in the camp that thinks that white breeches are for men only, mainly because I think that they make ANY woman (no matter how skinny) look bigger when they wear them. Plus, I have had to dressage in the rain (with my shadbelly) and the last thing I would want to worry about is if you can see through my wet, white breeches. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhall View Post
    So, in preparation for my first one star this winter, I guess I need to start thinking about getting a shadbelly and tophat (cringe large dollar signs flash through my brain)

Where does everyone purchase their shadbellys and top hats? What brands are popular? I want something that is nice quality so that it doesn't look cheap.

Also, is it okay to wear tan breeches with a shadbelly? I have never much liked white breeches.

Thanks!

There is no need to cringe over the cost of topper and tails. You don't actually need one. Unless you are sure that you have a horse that is going to continue on to the Intermediate/CIC or CCI ** level, then you could have your money and wear you hunt coat/cap.

If you feel you must wear one, why not borrow one from a friend until you are sure you will need one in future.

On another note, it is best to wear your tails a few times so that your horse gets used to them touching his sides and flapping behind him. Some horses become unglued the first time you wear them.

borrow borrow borrow

Default No Need for top hat and tails at 1* level

As has already been posted, you don't need a top hat or tails at the 1* level... I rode in my normal hunt coat/dressage jacket and hunt cap... actually wore my show jumping helmet at my gelding's first 1* because he's such a neurotic idiot!

As for where and what to buy? Many like the Pikeur jackets... I bought a Borso d'Este which is wool with a little stretch off Ebay. Normally this jacket is around $800-$1000, but I got it for $200... including shipping! It was worn once and in immaculate condition! I also bought my top hat, a Kaminski, off Ebay where I paid $82, including shipping. The original price tag was $399 for the top hat and I got it brand new. I have also always ridden in field boots, so I bought a pair of brand new Maestros for $69... yes, again from Ebay. My friends and I borrow from each other, since we're all close enough in size. One friend will be riding in her first 1* while we're competing in a 2*, and since our ride times are far enough apart, we're swapping clothes around! Before I found my dress boots, I was going to wear hers!

As for colours... I only wear white gloves at the 2* level. I also only wear my white breeches with the tails. You can wear beige, but I think the white makes it a bit more neat looking... especially with the white gloves. Ginny Leng wore beige breeches in '93, when she won Badminton aboard her big grey gelding... There's no reason to spend more money than you need to... especially until you KNOW that's where you and your horse are going!
    Good luck!
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhall View Post

Thanks!

Where are you located and what event will you be running the 1*?
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

Also, I have a beautiful pair of buff gloves and a champagne colored stock tie that I wore with my tan britches. It was all the rage in the early 2000's when Karen dressed that way - along with the navy coat and hat. I think the trend has gone back to white, but I am not as up on the fashion as I used to be.

You can actually rent a Shadbelly from Maryland Tack, $35 for the weekend, just have them cleaned prior to return.
    Check with your local stores they may do it with enough interest. Started due to the Hunters using them.

Shadbelly and top hat aren't considered appropriate at a one star - if you look in the rules, while not strictly forbidden, they are discouraged. I suppose if you must, you must, however, but I would limit it to a CCI. Shad/top hat at a CIC* borders on the silly, unless specifically requested by the organizers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltc4h View Post
    You can actually rent a Shadbelly from Maryland Tack, $35 for the weekend, just have them cleaned prior to return.
    Check with your local stores they may do it with enough interest. Started due to the Hunters using them.
    That is a really smart idea that they are doing that. That is probably your best option. I borrowed one for my first CCI* in the mid 90's simply because a dressage rider in the barn had one that fit me. I purchased one after my 2nd or 3rd CCI, it is a pikeur. If you can't borrow one, just go in your hunt coat, the dressage judges won't care one way or the other.

I wouldn't wear it for a CIC* as someone else said. I was surprised to see the AEC photos for Intermediate dressage riders wearing top hat and tails since that is just a horse trial. I rode Int. at the very first AEC's and no one had tails on, I guess it is getting more common place.

Quote Originally Posted by KSevnter View Post
    That is a really smart idea that they are doing that. That is probably your best option. I borrowed one for my first CCI* in the mid 90's simply because a dressage rider in the barn had one that fit me. I purchased one after my 2nd or 3rd CCI, it is a pikeur. If you can't borrow one, just go in your hunt coat, the dressage judges won't care one way or the other.

I wouldn't wear it for a CIC* as someone else said. I was surprised to see the AEC photos for Intermediate dressage riders wearing top hat and tails since that is just a horse trial. I rode Int. at the very first AEC's and no one had tails on, I guess it is getting more common place.
    I believe they had them on at AEC for intermediate since that is technically a championship which means it would be appropriate again.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    I believe they had them on at AEC for intermediate since that is technically a championship which means it would be appropriate again.
    Sorry I should have clarified, I know it is technically allowed since it is a championship but a few years ago it wasn't typical to see people in tails at a championship horse trial (except at advanced horse trials of course). It is just more commom for people to wear them now than it was in years past.

Boy am I glad I wandered over from the Dressage forum. The web site has pikeur stuff soooo cheap I really dont believe it! I see shopping for me in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    I bought mine from here:

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/

The Pikeur shadbellies are really nicely made, and this site sells them for a third the cost. I thought shipping would take a long time, but it arrived about a week after I ordered it. Make sure you know your size, because it's hard to return, but you can get your size by trying on the regular Pikeur jackets at a tack shop.

And I NEVER wear white breeches. I'm in the camp that thinks that white breeches are for men only, mainly because I think that they make ANY woman (no matter how skinny) look bigger when they wear them. Plus, I have had to dressage in the rain (with my shadbelly) and the last thing I would want to worry about is if you can see through my wet, white breeches. :-)

jredmon Guest

I really don't think you need it for a 1*. Hunt coat and helmet are fine.

I ran two long format CCI*s in my regular jacket and hunt cap and never even considered shadbelly (of course, the dressage on that horse was really bad, so there is no way I was going to dress up for it ).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!