The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunt Bridle

Could this possibly be real leather? I'm thinking yes, but from what animal?

I guess for $40 you could trash it if it were too horrible.

http://www.vrtack.com/catalog/flat-h...dle-p-456.html

Well, there are stirrup leathers on that page with it that says it's buffalo.
    I have a few pieces of tack that are buffalo and you are going to get what you pay for.
    They look and feel like cardboard.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Pedro Guest

Default Hunt Bridle

I have been using tack made of Buffalo leather for several years and never found any item like Card Board.Of course, buffalo leather has tough texture and needs little more Oil to soak.But with use and oiling,the leather becomes soft and supple.Most of the buffalo leather is as useful as Cow leather except the cost of Cow leather being much higher.

When they say buffalo they mean water buffalo. We're talking Asia here. It does feel like cardboard. I had a girth made from it when I lived in the Philippines.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Hmmm. I bought a $20 flat bridle from Gayer's Saddlery on Fairfax Circle (VA) in oh, late 70s (so adjusted for inflation, what, $60 now?). Stiff, yeah. But it outlasted my real good leather by decades. Cheap leather is like cheap horses- indestructible. Has something to do with Murphy's Law, maybe.

Thumbs up Likes it!

As long as it looks good and is serviceable, why not!?? Cheaper tack has it's place IMHO. On a hot, slimy, sweaty, buggy cubbing morning; I feel good knowing I haven't gummed up or flysprayed my best bridle. Or a rainy morning? It just needs to be well oiled as the pores in cheaper leather are usually larger. This one looks fine to me....I'd buy it! So what if it only lasts a coupla years! I like new stuff!! For this price you could have a new bridle every year! Yup! works for me!