The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default On quitting smoking and horses.

Yup, its horse related. Its not the first time I have quit but its the first time I meant to stay quit. I always cheated or looked forward to the next time I would smoke or whatever. I never stood by my decision but............................................... .

smoking was getting old, it was getting me sick and it was making me weak. for someone who takes such pride in my level of physical fitness inspite of smoking. I was slowly killing myself and instead of enjoying the cigarettes, I was ashamed. 40 years of this nasty habit.

And so, I am smoke free today. I am smoke free tomorrow and every day after that. I cant stand the smell of my house, my car smells like and ashtray inspite of the fact I never used the ashtray and the windows are always open. My clothes and bedding all needed to be washed as well as curtains and what have you. I will probably have to paint the walls and take the vehicles for detailing.

But, here is the very best part. I love the smell of my horses. They smell ummmmm horsey right. But this morning, as I was kissing the kids goodbye for the day after they ate there breaky, I actually smelled them. They smelled like, chewed hay, dirt, pond water now dried, rain drops, and they smelled like laundry dried on the line. My horses smelled like a million things today I have never smelled on them cause I couldnt smell properly anyhow.

Who would have ever thunk that horses could smell any better than they do. From a smoker to a nonsmoker, you bet they can.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Don't quit quitting! YAY YOU!

And even if you fall off the wagon...don't quit quitting!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Good for one! I know one thing that helped my Mum immensely was an inhalator thingy so she had something to do with her hands.

Good luck- you can do it!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Good for one! I know one thing that helped my Mum immensely was an inhalator thingy so she had something to do with her hands.

Good luck- you can do it!
    Those inhalers also contain 4mg of nicotine, but you are right, it is also a big help to think you are holding a cigarette too. unfortunately Im not having a lot of success as yet.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It's not easy but it can be done! I'm glad you rediscovered your love of the equine smells. I love the smell of a barn early in the morning when you can just detect a hint of it. Enough to get you motivated to hit those stalls and spend time with the beasties.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I am going to be SO happy next time I come to visit! And when you come here for KR's wedding, you won't have to be bundled out onto the deck for a smoke!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Go you!!
    I gave a neighbor a ride up to the store and when she got in looked appalled I thought it was a nice smell, but I guess not, a 'used' saddled pad assorted tack. It smelled like the trail ride we had been on.
    The smell and sound of a barn last thing at night in the winter when they are all tucked in and relaxed.

Go you! You can do this, and you have the best reason in the world to do it, the horses. When I quit smoking, over 20 years ago, it was because of the horses. The darn cigarettes cost so much that I felt that I couldn't do all I wanted to do with horses. So, every time I wanted to smoke, I just thought of the horses, and the desire died down to a manageable level.

So, just think of all of those lovely critters of yours, that you care for so well, and think of all that you can do for them with the money you save on cigarettes.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

So happy for you! It's the best thing you can do for you! Just wait when you wake up and you don't feel that hot burning feeling in your chest and you stop that little cough thing that interrupts you. YAY!!!!!

I smoked FOREVER and after reading and reading and reading all the physiology of nicotine addiction (thanks whyquit.com) I finally felt like I understood it all and it was easy to quit. Of course I gained about 15 pounds that I'm just now, 6 years later, getting rid of.

When I ride now, I don't get winded like I used to.

Hell, I used to light one up while cooling out a horse. CRAZY. <barf>

Congratulations on kicking the big nasty habit! As a fellow former smoker from April, I can completely relate. Once my sense of smell recovered, going to the barn smelled like it did when I was a kid.

Bonus: The horses think I smell better too

Keep up the good work!

Keep a sports bottle of water handy--it gives your mouth something to do without adding pounds. Gaining weight used to be my #1 reason to start smoking again, but last time was it. It's been 16 years since my last puff.

You can do it!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

One word......

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS LORI!!

Another YOU GO GIRL! Glad you are already reaping the rewards for doing such a difficult thing. Best wishes for continued success.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

My mom has severe PTSD after being in a tornado while driving home in college. Her car was picked up and thrown in a ditch, scary stuff!

So, she picked up smoking and hated every minute of it. She recently started Chalix (sp?) the pill that is supposed to make you stop smoking. It made her sick for about a week and after that she hasn't smoked since. It works!

Best of luck with everything!

You rock! Don't worry about tomorrow, just get through today (or getting in your car, or getting home, whatever) without smoking.

You might want to cut down on coffee for a bit-- it will add to the wigginess you'll feel when you quit nicotine.

But later you will have more, and consistent energy without smokes and you can have your coffee back.

Sorry to completely divert from the horses..... uh.... It's an empirical fact that they smell good. There.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh Lori!! That's wonderful. I'm so VERRRRRY Proud of you!!!!

Like others said: You never stop quitting. You quit every day.

So babe, if I can lose 80 pounds (and only 65 more to go! ) YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Ach, and if you think my spaetzle tastes good now, just wait until the smoke clears from your tastebuds!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sickofcollege View Post

So, she picked up smoking and hated every minute of it. She recently started Chalix (sp?) the pill that is supposed to make you stop smoking. It made her sick for about a week and after that she hasn't smoked since. It works!

Best of luck with everything!
    Chantix. I used it for a month or so when I quit almost exactly a year ago.

Just a little warning for the OP. About 2-3 months after I quit I was really feeling lousy. Had a full work-up, nothing was wrong. I really think that it was just my body finally getting rid of the last of the crap I had put into it for so many years. I missed that little boost I got from the nicotine and the mental break I got from work when I went outside for a smoke.

But I hung in there and at about 4 months post quitting I really started to feel better. Now I don't get winded so easily, the walk to get the horse is more pleasure than chore (and he's always way out back), my clothes don't have little burn holes, and I'm saving a boat load of money (or more accurately my smoking funds are now diverted to horse funds). Just happier all around.

Stick to it. It's worth it.

First, CONGRATS!

My BF used Chantix after the Nicotrol patches didn't work. Chantix was the key for him; helped him quit after he smoked about 2 packs a day for 30 years. He's been smoke-free for at least two years now.

Funny story: I am very sensitive to smoke (asthma)& BF (who is a farrier) came home with a picture of a cat curled up in the body of his truck. With a pack of cigs right next to the cat when he supposedly quit the first time...BUSTED!

Oh Lori, I cannot tell you how proud I am of you (((hugs))) I quit on DH's 40th birthday. That was my gift to him, he hated smoking...his dad died of lung cancer from smoking. I had just sold the restaurant and was not working and the last thing I could do was to make the man who hated cigarettes more than anything pay for them.

It sucked, I was miserable, I was evil to be around...for about 3 weeks. Then I was happy, I could breath! I could taste! I could smell! and I absolutely positively LOATHE anything having to do with smoking now. I am one of those rabid non-smokers that give people the evil eye and tell them "thanks, now I have to go home and shower because you had to smoke in front of the store door. Do you work here? Let me make sure I talk to the manager too.." yes, that's right...I wont shop at stores that allow the employees to smoke outside.

And yes, horses smell AMAZING. I love to bury my face in their necks and breathe them in. You can tell when things are "off" too.

Oh I am just so happy, happy, happy for you!!!!!!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.