The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Strange virus making its way around our barn **Update**

Blood samples have been sent out for testing, but until the results come back, no one knows what it is. I thought maybe someone here may be familiar with the symptoms:

1. Fever
    2. Slight swelling around hind fetlocks

It seems to run its course in a couple of days and the horses don't show any signs of distress and continue to eat and drink normally. A handful of horses in two different locations on the property (Northern Cal) have been affected, but not every horse, so we don't know even know how it's transmitted.

We aren't panicking and there are no really young or really old horses at this facility, all the horses are in good health otherwise. I was just curious to know if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone.

**Update** 9/15: Results from the lab came back inconclusive, it was something innocuous enough to not even show up as anything recognized. I guess it is similar to humans getting a 24 hour bug. The good news is there have been no further cases and it seems to have run its course inside a week. Hopefully this info will be helpful in the future to anyone else who may have a horse with these symptoms.
    Last edited by Twentymetercircle; Sep. 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added updated info

We had something travel through our barn last fall. Same symptoms. Seemed to favour the younger horses (3-5). It would clear up in less than a week and no one seemed any worse for the wear. Can't tell you what it was though.

We had it go through the barn last fall, but add Runny Poop to the mix (ewwwwww). Cleared up in a few days, although the slightly swollen legs stuck around for a bit. One of the babies developed a secondary respiratory infection that was treated with antibiotics.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Thanks Donkey and Ibex for chiming in. There haven't been any new cases reported and the horses that did have it are totally fine now.

Odd.

If we find out what it is/was, I will post the info.

Before moving a little further south, I boarded horses and worked at several barns in the east bay area. What you're describing seems to show up once to twice every year in various locations. Symptoms are usually the same: fever, stocking up (mostly behind, sometimes in front,too), general adr. I've never really seen/heard of it progressing beyond this. Most were given bute/banamine to bring down fever and a few days' rest. Those that had blood run showed mild elevation in white and fibrinogen, but nothing alarming. Never heard of a name for it, but all vets said most likely viral. As I recall, most cases seem to crop up in the fall and/or spring. The good news is that most horses seemed bright and back to normal after a few days. I can only think of a few who needed to progress to antibiotic treatment. Just my $.02.
    One leg on each side and face the ears.

I'd love to hear more about what you find out.

I'm in Santa Rosa, and on Friday my horse looked like he was colicking, but not quite --- hunched up, trembling, white gums, no gut sounds, lethargic, blood in urine, not eating.....but with a 105 fever.

Called vet, etc. The CBC looked good except the horse's red blood cells have been nuked by something. He is severely anemic. Ruled out internal pigeon fever, tick bite fever and a few other things.

48 hours later, the fever is way down, have discontinued banamine, horse is trotting and cantering and feeling perky and hungry again. I'm wondering what this could be. This horse hasn't left my farm in 2 years!

Have seen this in my part of the world (south central Ontario) for about 12 years! ...Fever spike followed by lower than normal temps (97~F sometimes as low as 96F!)...stocking up...slightly loose manure..only a problem if they quit drinking...which can cause colic..
    The spread of the 'infection' seems to be controlled by limiting exposure to the affected horses' manure...picking out paddocks or not sharing paddocks between sick and healthy horses...
    If anyone gets a diagnosis...I'd be very interested to hear what it is
    IF you get a valid diagnosis after this thread dies please PM me
    THX
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

I have heard reports of this here in MD as well. A friend at work said it also seemed to mainly affect the younger horses in the barn.

I hear about something like this every late summer early fall. Slightly off horses with some fever , blahs, usually stocking up and just dull. SOmetimes slight nasal discharges.

Mostly self limiting, the vets seem to think fly borne. Seems to stroll thru a barn rather than race thru.

TLC and time, perhaps a bit of banamine if fever is persistent.
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Cookie Dough is the Sushi of Desserts
    Introverted Since 1957

Same thing went through my barn last year. Stocked up legs, a little blah, but nothing more than that. Vet said it was a virus. My horse had puffy hinds, but a couple of others had all 4 puff up. Cleared up on its own after a few days.

Sounds like whats in NJ right now, that my horse had.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Have a yearling colt that just came in last night like this, eating, drinking normally, pooping normally, just a little fever and stocked up hinds that make it uncomfy for him.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

aspenlucas, we just treated the horses with bute and wrapped their hind legs. They all recovered very quickly. I hope your youngster is already feeling better!

Thanks Twentymetercircle. He's fine other then slight swelling. Not lame at all and eating normally, but it's only been 40 hours.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com