The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long would it take for something to swell?

This morning when my horse came in, we noticed that his stifle area was very swollen. He is not sound on it and will need a few good days of cold hosing and time off.

I was wondering how long it takes for an injury to swell. On Tuesday, while being shod, my farrier hit my horse very hard with the tool used to file his feet (I think the technical term is rasp, right?) Yes, my horse was being badly behaved as he always is, but I just find it unnecessary to take your bad temper out on my horse. Anyway, he hit him with it very hard. It made me flinch and I really should have said something there, but when I rode my horse directly after and didn't notice anything strange, I decided it was OK and that the farrier probably hadn't hit him that hard.

That was on tuesday and now today he comes in with bad swelling in that area and on the same side, very near to where he was hit. There are no cuts and scrapes on him at all, his stifle is just swollen. I am hoping it is just a coincidence and my horse hurt himself some way in the field, but if not...of course, I would like to know that as well. He had a day off on Wednesday and was ridden yesterday and was sound.

Could this be swollen from being hit, or is the swelling much too late now? I was wondering if it could have swollen after he had been ridden since he worked on it hard. I rode him after he was hit on tuesday, but only at a walk as I was not feeling well, but my trainer worked him hard yesterday.

I just need some advice and need to know if it is typical for swelling to occur two days-three after an injury.

It wouldn't take three days for it to swell, maybe three hours. Why not teach your horse to behave when he is being shod then this wouldn't be an issue? You are lucky you can get a farrier to work on your horse at all.

Quote Originally Posted by winegum View Post
    Yes, my horse was being badly behaved as he always is, but I just find it unnecessary to take your bad temper out on my horse.

, but my trainer worked him hard yesterday.
    Your farrier was trying to protect himself. Working under a badly behaved horse is very dangerous. "Bad temper" would have been royally chewing you out for not training the horse, or leaving in the middle of the job.

It's more likely that the swelling could have been caused by the hard work, or the cause is totally unrelated.

If it's a sore soft tissue swelling on the stifle, and it doesn't resolve in the next two days with cold hosing and a bit of bute, I'd be getting the vet out. Stifle injuries can be tricky.

I totally understand and sympathize with why farriers get after badly behaved horses, and you really need to work on that, but I'd rather hope he didn't hit him on the stifle.

excuse me, but I have worked with my horse on his manners. He is only just 6 and he is very new to being shod. He wasn't exposed to it much as a baby. I know exactly what behaviour my horse should have, so please don't assume I have not worked with him. I have. He doesn't move around, so much as he leans on the farrier. He even does it with sedation. I wasn't asking for a lecture, I was asking for some advice. I don't need you to play 'trainer' and tell me how to treat my horse thank you as this is not the issue at hand at the moment. At least one of these responses were helpful, but if you are just going to reply to tell me that I need to discipline my horse then why even bother at all?
    My horse stands perfectly for everyone else, he just despises the farrier. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    It wouldn't take three days for it to swell, maybe three hours. Why not teach your horse to behave when he is being shod then this wouldn't be an issue? You are lucky you can get a farrier to work on your horse at all.

I agree the horse needs to behave, while being shod.
    Slamming it with a rasp is unacceptable behavior.

I am sorry, but your farrier should not have behave the way he did and used a metal tool to harm your horse. There are many other options any professional horse person would use. One is not adding to the event by physcially harming your animal.

I suspect bruising at he site, but I wonder if your guy might of been a bit tight in this area and perhaps behave (not standing for farrier) because his hips hurt.

The swelling indicates stress from something, perhaps a bruise or something that was wanting to come out that was sore already. Is there heat? Being worked might of aggravated it a bit, thus the swelling...

Yes, Farrier should be safe, but to direct that type of anger and harm a horse is wrong. Walk away for a bit.... let everyone cool off...... Anyway, I would find another shoer.