The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The truth about dog brushing... does it *really* help with shedding?

Ok, so my adorable century-old house and soon to become a fur pile thanks for my GSD/Doberman cross female.

I have never brushed her, for some reason, before I moved here, I didn't realize how much hair she lost!

My neighbor, an elderly lady who used to board and groom dogs, says I should brush her.

Really. Does it REALLY help? I love my dog dearly but for some reason, while grooming a horse is pure pleasure, a dog? Not so much. No appeal, what can I say!

But if it works, I'll do it!!

Thanks
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

It catches the hair on the brush instead of letting it fall all over the house. How could that not work? You need the right brush and the right way to brush to get that undercoat, but the hair have to go somewhere. I prefer into the brush and then into the trash.

Yes, the hair is going to fall off one way or another- your choice if you want to brush the dog once a day or every other day and catch much of it at once or if you want to vaccum your house more often and have kind of a scraggly looking dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Yes, the hair is going to fall off one way or another- your choice if you want to brush the dog once a day or every other day and catch much of it at once or if you want to vaccum your house more often and have kind of a scraggly looking dog.
    Although her coat is gorgeous, always has been. My house though lately... not so much!

I'll give it a try for sure regardless... a week and I'll see if I have managed to vacuum only once during it!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

You could train the dog to enjoy vacuuming - like with a horse-vacuum. My horses enjoy it, and it makes grooming so much nicer in shedding season (though I've never ever been able to groom enough in any given session to catch up to the falling hair!)

My dogs (German Shepherds) love to be brushed and compete for it! I also pluck out the hairs that offend me. Well, the tufts that are about to come out anyway. And vacuum too. Had to empty the canister twice the other day.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Furminator.

Spend the money, get the "real" Furminator, and you'll be amazed.

I get a sandwich sized ziploc baggie stuffed completely full of hair off of my two cats once a week. It's amazing- no cat hair anywhere around my house or on me.

I use the vacuum ... on the dogs.

There are attachments that work just like for horse vacuums.
    You can also first brush and then vacuum with the regular upholstery brush.
    All my dogs have loved the vacuum, even my little one now, that I have to go easy with, as the vacuum is rather strong.

The best way to keep a dog super clean, as we had to for therapy dogs, is to brush, bathe and brush dry with a hair drier.
    I recommend most brushing be done outside.

If you don't want to use the vacuum, brush and then use a damp rug to finish after brushing, it will pick up the loosened dirt and hair up.

For long hair dogs, the Furminator brush is said to be the best out there today.
    For rotties, dobies, labs and such, a regular horse curry comb does a great job of losening the hair.

As mentioned, if you stay after it, you won't have much fur floating around in the house.

You will be amazed at the amount of fur that will come out with either a Furminator or stripping tool. When I first saw the pictures/videos I figured they must be staged. They're not.

Depending on the coat, a stripping tool can work even better than a Furminator. For example I use a Furminator on my short-haired cat, and a stripping tool on my Ragdoll and my brother's Golden Retriever.

They are spendy, but they are worth every penny!

http://www.groomersmall.com/coat_kings.htm

http://www.furminator.com/

I have a Maine Coon cat, with that dense undercoat that sheds a lot. I looked at the Furminator, but decided, gosh the teeth looked JUST like a $2 flea comb. So I bought a flea comb and use that to 'comb' my cat several times a week. It is absolutely amazing the amount of hair that comes off of him! Enough to make a whole 'nother cat, it seems! And he actually loves the process.

I vacuum my shepherd and labs and they love it. It does help cut down on the flying fur and dust in our old house. Regardless, you will still see huge piles of hair behind the doors and in the corners if you have hardwoods. Vacuuming will help cut it down, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    Furminator.

Spend the money, get the "real" Furminator, and you'll be amazed.

I get a sandwich sized ziploc baggie stuffed completely full of hair off of my two cats once a week. It's amazing- no cat hair anywhere around my house or on me.
    Ditto the Furminator! I brush my dog outside so the hair stays outside. I've brushed her in the barn but somehow I manage to get hair all over that way.

I bought the large Furminator and love it for the horse's as well. I showed my Vet how it worked on the horses and she started to recommend it to everyone!

It is worth every cent. I do believe there are several knockoffs that are a lot cheaper as well so see if you can google and find them. Check out the dog supply places, like Foster and Smith or whatever they are called.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I need that stripping tool for my Ragdoll .

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    You will be amazed at the amount of fur that will come out with either a Furminator or stripping tool. When I first saw the pictures/videos I figured they must be staged. They're not.

Depending on the coat, a stripping tool can work even better than a Furminator. For example I use a Furminator on my short-haired cat, and a stripping tool on my Ragdoll and my brother's Golden Retriever.

They are spendy, but they are worth every penny!

http://www.groomersmall.com/coat_kings.htm

http://www.furminator.com/
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

ditto the furminator. it pulls out undercoat that needs to come out as well. i saw a Basset get groomed from bath to dry to looking ready to go home, then they did the furminator, and there was enough hair to make a Cat. then the groomer wiped some special oil on her hand, and slicked him down and he was ready to go home. of course brushing helps the dog. it keeps the skin healthy.

Another huge fan of the Furminator. I have had mine almost 3 years now and use it on the GSD's and the cats. Worth every penny that I spent for it and then some
    ~~Some things are true whether you believe them or not~~

*Member of the "I hate the crest release" clique*

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    All my dogs have loved the vacuum, even my little one now, that I have to go easy with, as the vacuum is rather strong.
    This sounds like a bad movie...

VVVRRROOOM....HHHHUUUUMMMM...yelp....oops.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    This sounds like a bad movie...

VVVRRROOOM....HHHHUUUUMMMM...yelp....oops.
    When she was a puppy, she used to walk right thru the 2" square chain link fence like it was not there.

I second the stripping tool (mars coat king). I LOVE it! I've actually had to make my mom stop using it occasionally because my dogs were going bald!

I've used it on a lab and two border collies. Both the dogs and I seem to prefer it to the furminator. They find it more comfortable and I find that it does a better job.

I use the 6 blade version of the coat king, fwiw.

LOL Epona...I pluck my GSD like a chicken too! Whenever I see loose tufts sticking out, I walk over and start plucking.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Hmm... I have a plain old dog brush with metal thines... Works incredibly well though!

How long do you brush? In 2 minutes I can remove three full brushes of hair or about 6 handfuls! I can do it longer though... She is terrified of the vacuum but loves to be brushed! Any attention is good attention...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca