The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Poor puppy

Took the "dumped in the road" puppy in to get spayed today and she is not very happy right now (understatement of the year). Poor girl was worried about being in the car this morning on the way in. Sleeping on the passenger seat and looking up at me at every slow down/stop as if to say "is this where I have to get out". She was very happy when we arrived at a building (instead of a backroad) and she trotted on in to the office seemingly happy that she didn't have to fend for herself again on the road. Went off to the back with the vet tech, wagging her tail. Picked her up this evening and she looked at me with a "how could you do this to me" look in her eyes. She has been sleeping since we arrived home. She tried to drink a little water but it came back up about as quickley as it went down. She doesn't understand that this is a good thing and she will be much happier and haelthier for it in the end. All she really cares about tonight is the fact that she is hurting and I am the one that put her there. I know she will forgive me (she really already has) and will be out talking to her dwarf horse friend in the backyard in a few days but for now she just doesn't understand.

Why do people have to dump thier unwanted's in the road out in the country for those of us who live out here and love animals can't bring ourselves to just ingnore the poor things waiting to get hit by a car? Needless to say this one got lucky and will hopefully be with us for the next 15 years or so.

Don't worry - she'll be bouncing around in a day or two and you will be trying to quiet her down so she doesn't rip out her stitches! Best of luck with her - she's a lucky girl!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Default Carolina Ditch dog

As a proud re-homer of several, now owner of one very special "Carolina Ditch Dog" I can tell you she will be amazingly better by tomorrow. They are an incredibly resilient "breed". You have given her a great gift of a longer healthier life.

A friend called us one Sunday (~15 weeks ago) and said, "eight puppies were dumped on our church door step and we need help fostering them". After seeing them and waiting two weeks for their eyes to open, we and the vet figured they were 24-48 hours old when dumped.

We took four of them and bottle feed them for about four weeks then transitioned them to solid food. We kept one and were able to find homes for all of them and they're doing great. The one we kept looks like a yellow lab GSD cross.... we know one thing for sure though, she's 100% sweet.

She'll get fixed in a couple of weeks and we will do what we can to end this cycle.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Oh believe me I know she will be fine. Been there done that with several in the past and present (have 4 dogs presently and have had serveral others over the years, all altered). She just looked so pathetic last night it was actually kind of comical. She is already running around more than she should but if I put her e-collar on it calms her down immediatley.

Jingles for the new pup and her mom! I'm sure she'll feel better soon.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Bless you for saving her. Jingling that she'll be back to normal very soon. Pics??

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Take it from me - 14 months it took just to be able to catch the dog that was dumped in my neighborhood, and now she is neutered, and happily living life as a spoiled brat house dog with the rest of my pack (you can read her story sometime if you have a few hours to kill here on COTH).

Bless you for saving her.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Caroling Ditch Dog. That about describes it .... Have had several of these, they can be really, really good dogs!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.