The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fat leg theories needed; RF Fetlock Update post # 8 suspensory and chip

Horse came out of his stall this evening with a swollen RF fetlock. (is stalled during day and t/o at night so swelling noticed before the eve. t/o) Was lame at trot both directions. grade 4/5. Swelling starts about 4 inches above the fetlock joint on both sides of the leg, continues down to the pastern to the coronet band. Walking reduced swelling, so I cold hosed, applied topical steroid and t/o for evening thinking movement would be benificial to reduce swelling. Temp taken and was normal. 2g bute was given in pm feed, and tomorrow will get 2g for am and then scale back to 1g for Fri pm and Sat am. Will recheck in the am and reevaluate. If worse will stall rest, wrap and call vet.

So what could it be??

Last ridden on Tues, was sound. Wed was a day off and I wasn't at barn, but think folks would have noticed a fat leg. So I presume it was done Wed pm in turnout.
    Last edited by NRB; Sep. 14, 2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: new info from the vet

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

I've seen this with abscesses. Did you check to see if he was sore to hoof testers?
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

NRB...
    here's a link to my thread on the same concern:
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=222654 (unfortunately, it didn't get any takers/responses)
    My guy has now seen the vet a second time, and has had a steroid/banamine injection and cool clay polticing added to the treatment, and extending antibiotic two more days.
    What is so odd to me, is that this is effecting different legs on different days. As in, began in the hinds....next day, noted the left front swollen/hot, and the next day, the right front! Hinds seem to be almost back to normal yesterday. The left front really felt inflamed and sore to touch....above fetlock, to below knee on the outside.
    Vet still feels this was a reaction to 'nettles'....yet, I see no other horses in his pasture with this concern, and I've also read/researched other concerns of late in our area...some nettles, some chiggers, some seed ticks----- In my guy's case, the reaction to WHATEVER seemed to be allergic enough that it proceeds to bacterial and is then topically inflamed and fighting infection.

I hope you'll get some other input on this thread, as I'm still baffled myself!!

best of luck,
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    I've seen this with abscesses. Did you check to see if he was sore to hoof testers?
    Sorry forgot to add negative to hoof testers on both front hooves. He does have leather pads fwiw

Arabz am on my phone now will ck your thread later. But was you horse lame? I thought allergic reaction was a possibility untill I saw the horse was lame at trot. I wouldn't think they would go lame with either allergic reaction or cellulitis

off to the barn soon. Fingers crossed

Default update fwiw

At 8am the RF Fetlock was same as last night, also same degree lameness on longe. So no changes at all. Vet apt made for Monday am. Fed 2g bute in am feed, cold hose and poltice and standing wraps in the stall for daytime. Will pull wraps and re-evaluate in pm.

I did recall early last week feeling he was a titch NQR on RF. So when vets came out for fall shots last Thurs I asked for a Legend inj as well (have been on it in past for vague NQR issues with success) Next day, Friday RF fetlock swollen a little (like windpuffs) and 100% sound. Shown on Sat (D only) and sound, no swelling. Day off Sun. Shod and jumped Monday and sound with no swelling. Flatted Tues and sound with no swelling. Wed another day off. Thurs had the fat ankle.

What would show up as swelling on Friday, disappear for a week and then show up again with heat and increased swelling and lameness??

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    At 8am the RF Fetlock was same as last night, also same degree lameness on longe. So no changes at all. Vet apt made for Monday am. Fed 2g bute in am feed, cold hose and poltice and standing wraps in the stall for daytime. Will pull wraps and re-evaluate in pm.

I did recall early last week feeling he was a titch NQR on RF. So when vets came out for fall shots last Thurs I asked for a Legend inj as well (have been on it in past for vague NQR issues with success) Next day, Friday RF fetlock swollen a little (like windpuffs) and 100% sound. Shown on Sat (D only) and sound, no swelling. Day off Sun. Shod and jumped Monday and sound with no swelling. Flatted Tues and sound with no swelling. Wed another day off. Thurs had the fat ankle.

What would show up as swelling on Friday, disappear for a week and then show up again with heat and increased swelling and lameness??
    I don't know how fast cellulitis typically manifests, but what if he banged his fetlock the week prior (minor cut/scrape), which caused minor swelling and a touch of soreness (causing the NQR feeling). Then he quickly got over initial ouchiness, swelling went down as normal and was sound. Then minor nick/cut turned into cellulitis (which is caused from bacteria entering the skin layers right??) which is explaining the heat, increased swelling and lameness. They do go lame with cellulitis if allowed to progress enough without treatment.

If the swelling is warm, I think that would be a sign of infection or cellulitis - definitly time for a vet. Tx for cellulitis would be antibiotics, dex and sweating the swollen leg. Sounds like you have a good plan with the bute, wrapping, etc. Could vary well be a million other things though -

Default Update suspensory and chip....puke

Vet out this am. Turn out it was the suspensory. Inside branch. Which accounts for why the RF fetlock was swollen but he was more off to the left than to the right on the longe. Just got a call after they had a chance to read the x-rays and they found a small bone chip in front of the fetlock. Vet is unsure if that is new or old, but for now says that treatment remains the same. Stall rest, wraps with DMSO, cold hose 2x a day, wraps off for few hours, handwalk 15 min and check in w/ vet mid week and re ultrasound in a week.

YUCK. Never dealt with this type of injury ever. Had the horse 8 years. All we can figure is that he did something in the pasture Weds night.

I'll run another thread on asking about suspensory injuries with more info.....