The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buy Rachel Alexandra stuff

It's almost impossible!! Where is the stuff? I want some gear! I'm getting ready to go on eBay just for a button or a bracelet or something! I've been to horsehats.com and I'm on the fence about a hat- and I just don't like the shirt. Let me know if you find any cool Rachel stuff that I can buy!

Hi Frog,

There is also a good amount of stuff on ebay. I'm looking also! I just love RA!!

Heart Land Horse Rescue has autographed photos of RA in the Oaks. $50 donation.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I've had the hat for a while and a few people stopped me at Saratoga to ask where I got it - that was the second day of the meet. As for wearing it in general in non-horse areas I suspect most people think I'm some kind of crazy soccer dad with a hat made for my daughter

ETA - image of said hat; aside from the left side having the silks color of the stable you wouldn't think it has anything to do with racing
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Sep. 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    I've had the hat for a while and a few people stopped me at Saratoga to ask where I got it - that was the second day of the meet. As for wearing it in general in non-horse areas I suspect most people think I'm some kind of crazy soccer day with a hat made for my daughter
    I got an RA hat from Calvin that I wear everywhere too! And I don't normally wear caps...my vet was soooo jealous!
    Lori T

I agree! I would love to get a great Rachel t-shirt, but the one at horsehats.com is not really doing it for me.

No wonder no one in the US has any interest in horse racing. The NTRA has done a phenomenally miserable job in promoting this horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
    No wonder no one in the US has any interest in horse racing. The NTRA has done a phenomenally miserable job in promoting this horse.
    Beyond the obvious of tee-shirts, caps and stickers I suppose its all a bit of a fine line with marketing and self-promotion. Really only a filly could generate wide marketing opportunities as the days of Seabiscuit selling oranges for Sunkist are long gone.

Jess Jackson's Kendall-Jackson is using her name to sell the limited edition wine and also spurn charity auction sales towards cancer funding.

That said if I was them I'd look to get a company like American Girl to do some sort of tie-in as there is a viable younger female audience interested in her and with it assorted products. Mattel, the parent of AG, however like many other would-be partners could look at the risks and say "no thanks". [The anti-racing groups would likely go after Mattel too. A little heat would all it take to have them drop any partnership]

Think about it - why invest hundreds of thousands if not millions in marketing and packaging when the risk of a sudden career ending injury could happen or she gets defeated and the who euphoria goes away in the blink of an eye.

There is supposedly a childrens book in the works although like Barbaro there will no doubt be several of them made. Not sure how controlling JJ & partner will be in letting anyone do so without giving them some grief. I'm sure Breyer will make an RA model and who knows maybe some plush-toy company will make a stuffed version of her for kids. The fewer the chances for tv coverage (excluding HRTV/TVG) then the smaller the market.

The days of trading cards with horses and jockeys are gone IMHO.

I'm not even looking for anything that fancy. A website, a blog (at least weekly, if not daily) and some decent merchandise. NYRA tried with their Rachel's Sandbox, but there were about 5 blog entries in 2 months and there is no merchandise. There should be some way to take the fans she is creating and keep them engaged at least during her career. Yes it can/will all be over too soon, even if she races through next year. Which is why the NTRA needs to be even more nimble and quick to get this stuff up.

The same should be available for Mine That Bird - website, merchandise and blog. Think what the owners of Funny Cide did.

My WB Cloudy has an autographed picture of RA, but he's suspicious that some human signed it.
    (The piicture also has the jockey's autograph, which looks more authentic.)

Think what the owners of Funny Cide did.
    I couldn't agree more.

The lack of any marketing skills again is astounding. Like the Funny Cide brand if they did make fun RA stuff available it will sell, albeit not millions worth. Still it would keep fans happy and following her moves and racing in general.

Heck I bought a Secretariat candy bar about 10 years ago just for the fun of it via secretariat.com Funny Cide had not only a gift shop store devoted to him but also limited edition beer, ice cream, and a hot-sauce sold elsewhere.

Beyond just buying "stuff" the valid complaint of current information is quite true. NYRA and also the NTRA - actually make that most corporations - talk a good game of using twitter, myspace, youtube, viral videos, blogs, et al to market but as you see and I see the reality is they set it up and never add fresh content to it.

Rachel Alexandra likely needs a loyal group of fans to keep a dedicated website going and fresh. Working with the Asmussen/Jackson to get continued video clips going. The full workouts, unique pictures, et al. I bet if they made it available there would be several thousand viewers willing to just see her loaded on to a plane! NYRA's sandbox was a good concept but even during the white hot days leading up to the Woodward it didn't even reflect her win in the Haskell!

I'll turn my rant function off now.

I heard she has a jersey. Me want!
    "Take off the horses halter and lead rope, and all thats left is the truth." -Pat Parelli

And the Breyer model will be the same mold used for Rags To Riches, Sunday Silence, and every other racehorse model they've issued in the last several years. It's just a matter of changing the paint. To me, that's nothing particularly special.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    And the Breyer model will be the same mold used for Rags To Riches, Sunday Silence, and every other racehorse model they've issued in the last several years. It's just a matter of changing the paint. To me, that's nothing particularly special.
    I agree. The profit margin on those models must be upwards of 70%, there is enough room there for a little imagination in design. What a disservice to the fans. Eventually it will come back to bite them. Sales will drop and they'll be forced to reevaluate their marketing. That's the beauty of Capitalism.
    "Take off the horses halter and lead rope, and all thats left is the truth." -Pat Parelli

How about a Beanie Baby a la Secretariat and Barbaro? I'd buy one of those.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I would love to get a great Rachel t-shirt, but the one at horsehats.com is not really doing it for me.
    I got that shirt. I like it. 'Wore it at Saratoga.

~As an aside: being that I'm also a fan of Macho Again, I also briefly entertained the thought of getting his hat....but quickly squashed the idea at the realisation that the majority of people I come in contact with on a day to day basis have no idea who Macho Again is, and would be wondering why I have the words "Macho Again" emblazoned on my decidedly not macho forehead. 'Especially if I was simultaneously wearing a shirt which says "Rachel Alexandra runs like a girl." ~

It irks me highly that Breyer does not create a new mold for each horse, especially when the duplicates are both racehorses. If they stick a Rachel paint job on the Ruffian model they just came out with a couple years back, you'll all hear my head explode.

That is why I didn't by the Theodore O'Connor model. I already have him, just a different color!
    Lori T

Fred Stone has two gorgeous new prints out, of Rachel Alexandra and of Zenyatta. They are $50 for one, or $75 for both - and proceeds go to benefit breast cancer research!

They really nice - I need another print like a hole-in-the head..... but I may have to get these!

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    I got that shirt. I like it. 'Wore it at Saratoga.
    There's nothing wrong with the shirt! Just not exactly what I would prefer.

I had no idea they even had Sunday Silence or Rags to Riches Breyers! The only racehorse ones I have are Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Cigar, though the Slew one is way bigger proportionally than the Secretariat one.

Looks like Sunday Silence (and Barbaro) is just the Cigar repainted, Rags to Riches looks like a new model.

Rags To Riches & Ruffian are the same model.

Also regarding the Seattle Slew model..... they reused that mold a bunch of times too. I think the original one was Lonesome Glory, and then they reused the mold for Seattle Slew, Afleet Alex & Red Rum.