The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trainers and advanced riders who support the T3DE?

Someone made a statement yesterday related to the T3DE event series not really working and added that it must not be worthwhile for horses/riders or the BNRs, UL trainers, advanced riders would be more vocal about supporting it. I started to argue, offering names like Stephen Bradley, Ruthie Harbison, Amy Wise-Riddle, Karen O'Connor as counterpoints, but thought there must be more...

Anyone got more names to add to the list?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I fully support the T3D and would love the opportunity to run. Put me down for 2010. I've just got the babies going now, and fully intend to utilize the training three day in their education. The LF was a big part of the education of my advanced horse, and I am outspoken with my students, friends, and fellow competitors about the need to keep it going, even if it is at the T3D level. I of course, would love to see it at the upper levels as well, as I'm not sure that, When my guys are ready, that I would jump around a ***, **** levels at the short format for both personal and safety reasons.

Johanna Dufort
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Bobby Costello, Mark Weisbecker, John Williams, Suzi Gornall, Carol Kozlowski, Denny Emerson, Jim Wofford, to name a few that pop right into my mind...Oooh. Bobby Stevenson too.
    Last edited by RiverBendPol; Sep. 7, 2009 at 04:23 PM.

Add me to the list! The long format, at any level, is what eventing is supposed to be all about.

Lesley Stevenson

http://Lesleystevenson.webs.com

Don't forget breeders! My gelding's breeders were both UL eventers in Germany in the 70's and early 80's... the husband competed through the 3* level--LF, might I add. They are heartbroken with the loss of the LF, as it teaches true horsemanship. They are firm believers (and quite vocal about their beliefs) that the reason there are more accidents in recent years is due to the lack of riders having experience with the LF and learning how to properly ride fences at speed. Didn't Jimmy Wofford just do an article about this in Practical Horsemen?
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

All super names to add to the list! Johanna - so happy to have you IMMEDIATELY include yourself on this list...do hope lots others follow your lead. (You are missed in GA!)

When this thread has run its course, I'll make one list and send it on to Emily Daily at USEA ...perhaps she'll find some way to use it as a resource for riders looking for support/training in planning for the T3DE.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Dorothy Crowell and Ian Stark both supported ours. Melissa Miller (who is running at Intermediate) and Nad Noon also helped out.

Megan Lanzarone brought students and Howard Moore also gave a talk.

Chris Newton, who is a vet at R & R and who has run at Advanced, also supported our T3DE by coming up on Friday night and giving an excellent talk.

I'm a little confused by the OP and the implied premise that the T3DE has not been successful.

All of the T3DE events we've seen and/or participated in have been howling successes, with tons of big grins, happy horses, and enthusiastic support. I've seen many, many people giving their time and knowlege with great seminars, coaching, mentoring including FREE COURSE WALKS. Entries appear to me to be full to over-subscribed, in a season where total entries are down.

So, what's not to like? It's been the success story of the summer, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
    I'm a little confused by the OP and the implied premise that the T3DE has not been successful.

All of the T3DE events we've seen and/or participated in have been howling successes, with tons of big grins, happy horses, and enthusiastic support. I've seen many, many people giving their time and knowlege with great seminars, coaching, mentoring including FREE COURSE WALKS. Entries appear to me to be full to over-subscribed, in a season where total entries are down.

I agree with you--ours was a wonderful success--in much part thanks to our great clinicians, lecturers & the people that attended!

Quote Originally Posted by secretariat View Post

NOOOOOOO, WRONG!!!!!! someone ELSE made the remark and I countered by naming UL riders and trainers who DO publicly support the T3DE. I was not happy at all with this person's insinuation and wished I could've just referred her to an imaginary list on the USEA website ...decided that COTH could help turn my imaginary list into the real thing! Happy to clear up the confusion here....

Talking

Danny Warrington, was Stephen Bradley mentioned?
    Karen O'Connor - Olympic medalist
    Max Corcoran
    Phyllis Dawson - Olympic team member
    Stueart Pittman - Advanced rider and breeder
    Pam Weidemann - Advanced rider and Event Judge
    Steph Butts - Advanced rider
    Melissa Hunsberger - Advanced rider

Many of the above worked for FIVE years so far on the Area II AR one. And there are more, I can't think of them right now.

I would like to mention that Jim Wofford is not just a supporter, he is a HUGE supporter. He has given talks, course walks, advice, emailed competitors, answered questions, told stories, inspired, GAVE STUFF and signed books, etc. etc. etc. Without him I don't think we'd have both the USEA Task Force give it recognition nor the good name the series has gotten. I consider him instrumental in the life of this competition format. And we still ask him how to set our watches for A, B, and C and he is happy to give us answers, he loves to help the riders, always stays longer than he should talking and taking questions. We always make him late!

I would also like to add that NONE of the area professionals, with one exception, has ever turned us down when we asked for help either with giving a course walk or talk, or offering a lesson for the silent auction, etc. In fact we have in the past had an actual waiting list of pros who want to offer assistance, and have to squeeze in the sessions for the Area II AR T3D.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I know my former trainer Caroline Atherholt Dowd is a supporter!

Kim Meier - winner of top placed Owner Rider at Rolex - 10th
    Molly Rosin - advanced rider
    The crew at Full Moon Farm - big supporters, Stephen Fulton

Default Supporters vs. entries?

This list of names....would these riders/trainers/breeders/etc also actually enter or encourage entry into a long format event? (When, OF COURSE, they have the opportunity and/or horse.) Or, do they want to encourage young or up-and-coming horses and riders to enter but don't see it as necessary for themselves?

Would be interesting to look at the actual entries for the last year or so. I know that I have seen trainers with young horses at the TR3 Day.

We in Area II have had pros ride but for the most part the ones I have listed have supported the format by putting their money where their mouth was --- by volunteering time which is money for the pros. Also they have encouraged riders to go and have attended with riders, walking courses and coaching their students during the event, so I would consider that fully on board with the competition's purpose and stated goals.
    No very few of the upper level riders ride in it if any. However all of the riders who are upper level and have supported the T3D have previous upper level, dyed in the wool full format experience, many at the Olympic three day level. In other words, they've done it and know it - don't need to do it at the training level for the experience - but I'm fine with them encouraging students to do it and helping others on the day.
    Karen O'Connor for instance gave a hugely insightful and helpful course walk last year with lots of advice and teaching - it was so worth it to go along and learn from her comments, experience, stories of training and of Teddy, and just general knowledge. You just can't soak up enough from these guys.

There are Advanced level riders that do/plan to do the TR 3 Day as educational activities for their developing horses. Probably smaller numbers than those that just support it, but I know of a few that truly believe the steeplechase and R & T portions are significant to the development of future upper level mounts. You can find them in the results portion of show results.

I would assume they would also value the PR3 Day similarly.

How about LAZ herself?

Mary Fike coached the winner of IEA's T3DE and is organizing a T3DE and classic 1* at Midsouth next month.

Add to your list, of course, Gretchen Butts, LF**** veteran and international official (she'll be at Fontainbleu this month, worked at the Olympics last year).

In terms of money where your mouth is, her daughter Steph was one of the 5 entries at the Virginia LF* this year.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by petit fromage View Post
    This list of names....would these riders/trainers/breeders/etc also actually enter or encourage entry into a long format event? (When, OF COURSE, they have the opportunity and/or horse.) Or, do they want to encourage young or up-and-coming horses and riders to enter but don't see it as necessary for themselves?

The breeders I know no longer ride, but are still involved with the event scene and producing quality UL horses. If my youngster--competing Novice this fall-- is ready and qualified, I'd run him in a T3DE next fall. His brother has been running LF events since he ran his first BN at an unrec. event in Area VII. Now he's competing at the 2* level. He was bred to be the classic LF horse and if it hadn't been for a good R&T and Steeplechase, he would have been unridable on phase D at his first event!

Don't forget that many good horsemen were born from the classic Long Format!
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!