The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Skin Condition

I've got a horse that has 1/2 inch bumps all over his head, neck and chest and the front part of his body. Nothing on the back or flanks or hips. On his head and chest, he's balding. He itches. He's had it all summer. Had the same thing last year, and the vet came out and gave him a cortisone shot, which worked miracles. Bumps went right down, and he grew hair.

Now I'm puzzled. If it was a reaction to insect bites wouldn't it also be on his rear half? If it was an allergy wouldn't it be all over his body? I suppose it could be a contact dermatitis from something that grows in the pasture in the summer. There is no change in feed or hay. Could it be fire ants? All summer long? The pasture is right next to a bean field which is sprayed with chemicals during the summer, and there is a black walnut right outside the fence next to the bean field.

Just in case it's sweet itch, I started the treatment on the first of this month and have seen no improvement at all.

Any thoughts? He doesn't seem uncomfortable except for the itching, but he does look very odd. Because he hasn't seemed unhappy at all, even when sweaty, I haven't gotten the vet out for it this year. And I was also doing a test to see if the skin cleared up after a frost.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Could he be brushing against a plant that is irritating him while grazing? That would explain why he is breaking out on the head, neck and chest areas. Just a thought.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My horse has bumps that sound similar to what you are describing. Most of the bumps have a hard center on them. The bumps are only in areas that she cannot reach with her tail so I am inclined to think they are bug bites.

It is an interesting suggestion to consider that your horse may be grazing in some kind of irritating plant.

Read the majority of This Thread

Then go buy four tubes of Equimax
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Is it something that he is smelling; mold, shavings (which in their processing, they can have different smells, oils used) or as you mention the bean field. Ask them about the development of the beans during this timeline your horse has issues. Are the beans more or less X during the timeline...

My gelding gets the same thing all summer long. He also gets crusties on the fronts of his hind legs and around his sheath. He would get crusties on his front legs too, but he wears fly boots.

For my boy, it's gnat and mosquito allergies. The only thing that has worked for him is a fly sheet with hood, fly mask, and fly boots. Coating the hind legs and sheath with a thick hand cream helps keep the gnats away from those exposed areas.

Dex every other day helped some too, but was pricey and stopped working within a week of finishing the treatment. So he just lives in a fly sheet, mask, and boots.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Read the majority of This Thread

Then go buy four tubes of Equimax
    I bought six and gave the first two on September 1st. No change yet.

As to the bean field, the time line right. The farmers spray many chemicals to keep the field weed and pest free, and the time line is right for that also. In fact, the part of the pasture (not currently open to the horses) that is closest to the field looks like it also got sprayed with Roundup when the beans did. They must have sprayed with a wind and the drift must have been dreadful because the parts of the pasture that are either protected by buildings, bushes or down a hill are all lush and green while rest is sere and dry. It looks as if we'd had a frost already, and you know we haven't in Mississippi. Not a lot that I can complain too much about, since the farmers are MY farm tenants and I really would hate to lose them. When they irrigate the fields, they also irrigate the pasture.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Sep. 10, 2009 at 01:07 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

How about a zebra?

Blush was SO reactive to bugs and god knows what else when her neuropathic pain was not controlled. She hived up so bad and I was giving her dex weekly.

Putting her on gabapentin resolved the hives. And the neuropathic pain. Left her on it for 6-9 months? and now she's off and happy...and hive-free.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I bought six and gave the first two on September 1st. No change yet.

As to the bean field, the time line right. The farmers spray many chemicals to keep the field weed and pest free, and the time line is right for that also. In fact, the part of the pasture (not currently open to the horses) that is closest to the field looks like it also got sprayed with Roundup when the beans did. They must have sprayed with a wind and the drift must have been dreadful because the parts of the pasture that are either protected by buildings, bushes or down a hill are all lush and green while rest is sere and dry. It looks as if we'd had a frost already, and you know we haven't in Mississippi. Not a lot that I can complain too much about, since the farmers are MY farm tenants and I really would hate to lose them. When they irrigate the fields, they also irrigate the pasture.
    Gotcha... at least you know what you're not dealing with.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

An interesting thing for me is that my horse has not experienced any of the midline symptoms of an allergic reaction to gnats/midges/no-see ums at all this year. I had attributed that to the dry conditions we have had throughout August. We have had a number of those huge black horse flies in the area lately so maybe it is them. I will have my vet look at the bumps if they do not go away within the next few days.