The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default shipping horse long distance

I have the basics, but for those of you who have shipped horses long distances what did you do to make it easier on the horse, before, during, and after arrival? I am using a commercial hauler with regular stops and water.

I went through this too. What I learned is just pick a good company because honestly there isn't a whole lot you can do once your horse loads up and leaves.
    Try to make sure that your horse is comfortable loading/unloading and traveling in a trailer. And make sure you use a company that you trust because they will be doing everything.
    I put fuzzies on my guy's halter, but its just because both of us are wusses!

Some people wean off of grain and then wean back on once the horse gets there. I had to have my horse just quit cold turkey because he's such a hard keeper he needed all of the calories he could get before shipping (they tend to loose weight on long trips). I'm now building him back up so I don't shock his system twice.
    Good luck! And don't worry, your horse will be fine as long as you pick a reputable company

Will your horse be on the trailer for the duration, or will he be stabled overnight?
    Depending on how long is "long", probably the best thing you can do is make sure your horse gets a box stall for the trip. It costs more, but it's worth it.

Another possibility is something like Zylexis.
    Given in a series of three injections - two before and one after the trip - it's supposed to stimulate the horse's immune system.

http://www.pfizerah.com/Product_Over...=EN&species=EQ

I haven't tried it, but it might be something to discuss with your vet.