The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default trailering two horses w/o a divider

i have a stock type 2 horse trailer. the person who owned it before me did not have the center divider installed b/c she hauled her two WB's in it together loose. i've only hauled my mare in it since i got it.

does anyone here haul multiple horses in a trailer w/o a divider? do these horses know each other v. well? what is the risk that they will kick each other? any other considerations?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

When the BLM loads up a herd of mustangs to transport they are loaded 'en masse' in a stock trailer. They may or may not have 'known' each other from the herd - they may be horses from different herds. Because its a new situation they will depend upon each other for security and comfort even if they've never 'met' before.

I think you'll be fine. Especially when the trailer starts moving. They'll be too focused on keeping steady on their legs.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

I trailer my draft team without a divider. They are mother and daughter, and have never been apart.

With other horses, I guess it would depend if you've got a really nasty kicker in the bunch. Members of one of the horse clubs I belong to often trailer pool to trail rides, and put mixed groups of 'stranger' horses in the trailer. I've only ever seen one injury come out of this -- and I'm not sure whether it was a kick which caused it. It might have been incurred while loading, or even a self-inflicted tread injury. The mare was rather accident-prone in the first place.

a friend of mine hauls 6 horses in a stock type trailer- no divider. can take some thought of who to put next to who- but there are never any problems.

We had a stock two horse slant. Neither of my two OTTBs could fit in the slant stall. So the 17 hand gelding got the long wall, and the 15.3 hand mare got the short wall (with the divider snapped in place along the long wall. They were both tied to prevent nipping, so it was like a straight load with no divider. They each also had their own haynets. We never had a problem with them during shipping. These two were not stalled or turned out together. We did haul them in standing wraps 100% of the time.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Wel, I hate to say this, but. . . I was just at a clinic where another one of the participants arrived very late the night before it started because she and her friend put their two horses in the small stock trailer, apparently no divider. The mare and gelding had a fight and the loser had to be returned home. So I'd want to be careful who was put in it together. And yes, lots of people ship horses loose together all the time, or just tied next to each other. I don't know if those two horses knew each other well or not. I know both women are neighbors and had their respective horses for a long time, but I don't know if they ever tried hauling together before.

I have a four horse stock, that has a center divider for front and back, but not for the two in each section. The majority of horses I've hauled together travel just fine. If you have one that is known to be a problem hauler, though, I'd figure out a way to get center dividers. There are currently two horses that I regularly haul that we have to haul alone in a compartment because they are bad. My friend's thoroughbred has always hauled in slants and doesn't get straight loads - the first trip we took him on he actually managed to trade places with the horse next to him while going down the road. We luckily pulled over to stop and see what all the commotion was because he had the other horse's trailer tie up against his neck and was choking.

A good friend of mine has a stock trailer which she often hauls 4 horses with no divider. The horses live together in a field, and to the best of my knowledge, she never had a problem with them fighting in the trailer.

The local polo club regularely hauls 8 to 10 ponies together in a stock trailer, no dividers, just tied next to each other, mares, geldings, whoever happens to be there, and I've never seen them have a problem. I've trailered my own mares loose (usually just 2 at a time) together without any issues.

Our trailer is like Tif Ann's. We generally only haul horses that have been together before or are together at that time, but if I put a new one in there, that one would go in the back alone and all are tied except foals and younger weanlings. I've also tied four side by side slant ways leaving the divider open. I can do this w/ my stallion, too. He lives w/ his mares so trailering next to them is no big deal.

I have hauled two strange mares (same breed/size) together before, side by side and they became the bestest of friends during the ride and almost inseperable. Both are alpha mares so I was surprised how quickly they bonded. It was an hour trailer ride.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Unless you have a real nasty SOB, you should be fine.

Back in Florida the barn owner had a big stock trailer that had two dividers to make three box stalls. It took some planning to figure out what order to load them in so that known problem children could be separated, but other than that it was fine.

One very early morning when I was helping load the hunt horses, we got ten packed in there, leaving the dividers open, nine horses nose to tail tied on opposite sides, and one pony tucked in the very back as we swung the back gate shut!

--
    Wendy
    http://pbase.com/wendysmoak/patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I would only try this if it was a BIG trailer, and you had plenty of room to walk the horses in and tie them up. If you have to self-load them due to space constraints, then reach in through the side and tie their heads - BAD news.

Two of my mares were loaded in a 2-horse stock with no divider, and lets just say it ended very badly with both of them free and running down the county highway.

The 2 of them live together, are best buddies, neither kick or are nasty at all.

Loaded mare 1, tied her up. Had to self-load mare 2 because there wasn't room to walk her in safely. Friend was not able to reach through the window and grab her lead in time. She ducked her head/neck under the neck of mare 1, and tried to squeeze between mare 1 and the front wall. Mare 1 flew backwards, broke her halter, both mares lept out of the trailer and took off.

The only way I'd ever haul multiple horses without a divider is if the trailer was large enough that you could lead the horses in and tie them up. If you have to self-load the horse, then reach through the window, or go in front to an escape door to grab the rope, you are setting yourself up for major trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Yep. And even then a lot of horses will form a "truce" in the trailer.

Point in fact: my pony mare is a weenie. She stomped on my Mom's foot just recently when my BF's bully mare swished her tail and looked backwards at her. Said BF's mare is a freakin' bully, and goes after whomever just because. The two in a stock trailer, no divider, no issue. My mare turned around and went partially under the other mare.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have hauled 8-12 polo horses at a time with no dividers more times than I can count. Usually everything is fine, however we always load in the same order and are careful when a new horse is added. I have also had a badly injured horse (arthroscopic surgery and a year off) when hauling just 3 horses in a 3 horse trailer with no dividers. Most of the problems that I have had stem from the horses having too much room and being able to wiggle into kicking/biting position easier. One polo horse that I used to haul was a genius at untying herself (or removing her halter completely) and squeezing under the other horses necks until she made her way to the back of the trailer. Terrifying but she never injured herself or caused an injury.