The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB mare- Syracuse,NY- lovely, sound,& still needs a home!

Home needed ASAP (!) for May, a beautiful, energetic, sound 20 year old bay Thoroughbred mare. She has been a trail horse for the past 17 years, but she's been ridden english recently and goes really well huntseat. However, she is not a horse that will babysit and requires a calm, confident, intermediate rider. She gives a forward, fun ride, and has a lovely, big walk, an adjustable trot (including a nice slow jog), and a comfortable canter. She is a "typical Thoroughbred"-- snuggly and sweet, but with an "off-to-the-races" side that shows itself on occasion! Healthy as can be, and you'd truly never guess she was 20.

Picture here: http://tiny.cc/mR5Wi

So why is she a giveaway? Currently she's in the care of Sunshine Horses, a nonprofit horse adoption organization in Syracuse, NY. Right now she's being boarded at a farm with lots of turnout and space, but at the end of September she will be brought back to the state fairgrounds for the rest of the year, where turnout is very limited. That, combined with limited riding, makes for an unhappy girl. In the spirit of complete disclosure, May does need an experienced handler, as she can be spunky (particularly when she needs to burn off some energy). She gets along really well with some horses, but not so well with others-- just picky about her friends, I suppose.

To be clear, I am not her owner--just her rider. I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can, and you're also encouraged to check out Sunshine's website www.nysunshinehorses.org for more information on the organization and to view an adoption contract. Normally a donation is requested to adopt, but May is free to a good home.
    Last edited by Runinonjoy; Sep. 26, 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: fixed link

Bumping, because this mare is absolutely stunning and definitely needs to be given a good home by someone on this board. Unfortunately, she is too far away for me and I already have two rescues :-(

Thanks for the bump She really is a lovely mare, and she's a lot of fun to ride!

Just another nudge for May... we'd really love for her to find a home with one of you fabulous COTH folks! I should also add that she needs to stay fairly local-- within a few hours or so of Syracuse, preferably.

Think we way have found a home for May... I'll update again if it doesn't work out.

Unfortunately the potential adopters decided they weren't interested in May so she's still in need of a new home. The horses are scheduled to move back to the fairgrounds October 17th, and we'd really like to find her a home before then if possible. Please let me know if you're interested or know someone who might be.

Where on the fairgrounds do they stay? Just wondering, since I grew up near there.

hr- They're in the racehorse barns, at the far corner of the fairgrounds past the grandstand.

Bumping for this lovely mare...
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!

I'm going to risk being annoying and bump this up again. We really need to find May a home in the very near future. Thanks for looking!