The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Leaving the Horses Alone on the Farm

So, we moved our two mares home . We have about a 1/4 acre, so they have a nice big paddock thingy, and we were fortunate enough to have some good-sized shade trees in and around the paddock.
    I just love having them at home, being able to control every aspect of their care, and being able to see them whenever I want [I'm homeschooled, so I'm always one of two places: barn or home]
    They're both total sweethearts who love being adored, so they seem happier too. I don't have anywhere to ride, but since I ride dressage and both of them are retired/pleasure, it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, when do you get brave enough to leave them by themselves? We brought them home on Saturday, and I don't know when they're going to be totally settled in and comfortable.
    Right now I've been staying at home and Mum's been going out to the barn to take care of our lease horse.
    I think about leaving and I start freaking out about everything that could happen to them
    Rebel Without Cash!

2 horses on a 1/4 acre?

To answer your question, there's no bravery about it. People have to go to work. They'll be fine. Hide the matches, tell them not to talk to strangers, and not to drink anything they might find under the sink.

You can do it. All they'll be doing while you're gone is eating, sleeping, or pooping.

I got brave enough the day after we moved in when I had to go work.
    And no one is watching them all night while you sleep.
    Most people that have horses at home have lives. They work, go to school, go to the grocery store, go out to dinner, go to the movies, go to the feed store etc.
    God forbid you should trailer off to ride or go to a horse show.
    Make your place as safe as you can, and that's all you can do. If it will happen while you're gone it will happen while you're there. It is what it is.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

You leave them alone when you have to go to work. Our paddock is on the road. I have electric with signs posted over the 2" X 4" non-climb. Keeps the horses in, and others out.

Congrats on moving them home!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    2 horses on a 1/4 acre?

That's what I was thinking. Seems awfully tight.

As others have said they'll be just fine. They won't even know you're gone and will go about their usual business.

Mine are home alone most of the time, and even when we are home we're not constantly watching them. I prefer not to leave them unattended for more than 12 hrs at a time, just in case someone escapes or something. I have no problems bringing a new horse home, putting him in a stall, pasture or paddock and leaving for several hours.

A 1/4 of an acre? My riding ring is bigger. On that small an acreage I think you know every time the horse farts!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubies and Pearls View Post
    We have about a 1/4 acre, so they have a nice big paddock thingy
    I would not consider 1/4 acre a "nice big paddock thingy" by any stretch of the imagination. Are you sure that's the correct acreage? Do they have a barn, stalls, shelter, etc.? I would be a little more worried with that small of an area.

Took me a week before I left the farm and went out to do errands, leaving the horses home alone. Did my errands in record time and broke a land-speed record coming home, LOL! Screeched into the driveway to find both horses munching hay and looking up at me as if I were insane. (they were pobably right about that)
    It took a little time of leaving on short trips and coming back to find everything fine before my brain accepted the fact that my horses were okay if I wasn't there staring at them 24/7. (took me 3 nights before I stopped making middle of the night trips into the barn to check on them, LOL)
    I think it was a combo of being nervous they'd get into something in the new location and the fact that now they were home I *could* go stare at them whenever I wanted to. Even at 3 am in pajamas.
    That wore off. It will for you too. Just remember when they were boarded most likely they were left solo from time to time too. And they're "alone" overnight every night.
    Mine are turned out in the main paddock, it's 75 x 220 or so...maybe 240'. So not huge and they're fine. They get the wind up their butts and fly around it at will. But...with smaller set ups and turnouts the fencing has to be serious fencing. Smaller turnout fencing gets tested by the horses a lot more than large acreage turnouts do.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We brought ours home on a Friday so WE had all weekend to settle in - the hardest part was HRH trying to figure out what the run in part of the barn was for. He figured if he was standing at his stall door, someone should be opening it so he could go in!

Our barn is in front of the house so I spent a lot of time checking out the window during the weekend, but we to work on Monday and everyone was fine when I got home!

The best part was DD's horse calling to her and then trotting over to the fence so he could walk along side of her as she came down the driveway from the bus - she was grinning ear to ear when she came in the door!

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    I would not consider 1/4 acre a "nice big paddock thingy" by any stretch of the imagination. Are you sure that's the correct acreage? Do they have a barn, stalls, shelter, etc.? I would be a little more worried with that small of an area.
    Agreed.

Well, the whole property is supposedly 1 acre, but 1/2 of it has the landlord's stuff on it, so we have 1/2 an acre total. The front property line is about 50' from a busy highway, which didn't exactly please me, but we have a front fence to keep them contained to our property, and the horses are on the back half, so people can't just walk up to them and feed them. Also, we have to keep out of the leach field, and safely away from the well, so we're limited.

Their paddock is probably 80' x 60', give or take, with electric fencing that they respect. One is a medium pony and the other is a large pony. It's big enough for them to canter around easily, as they were demonstrating this morning. They're used to living in a stall or pipe pen with only a few hours of turnout a day, when we could get it.
    We're in the process of expanding the paddock and making them run in shelters. Since we live in Southern California, the main concern right now is shade, which they have plenty of. We don't have the money or the room to have a barn, and we're only going to be living here for another 8 months before we get transferred.
    Rebel Without Cash!

I've always heard it's fairly common to keep horses on very small acreages in S. California. There's really no grass anyway, they just get a lot of hay... just sayin'
    BDC

In my area, I am lucky to have my paddock, about 130' X 120". I have one now, he is fine. I am considering adding another. It will still be larger than some of the paddocks with 2 or more at boarding barns in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by mybeau1999 View Post
    I've always heard it's fairly common to keep horses on very small acreages in S. California. There's really no grass anyway, they just get a lot of hay... just sayin'
    It is. They pack them in like sardines down here
    And yes, no grass, unless you have a ton of money and can afford to irrigate.
    Rebel Without Cash!

Ponies will be fine in that space.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Be ready for them to kill all of the trees in that small of a space in very short order. When they get bored or hungry they will start stripping the bark.

There's only one tree they can reach, and so far they've just been rubbing on it, but I was worried about that. I think I'm going to get them some Likits so that they'll have something else to do.
    Rebel Without Cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    2 horses on a 1/4 acre?

To answer your question, there's no bravery about it. People have to go to work. They'll be fine. Hide the matches, tell them not to talk to strangers, and not to drink anything they might find under the sink.

You can do it. All they'll be doing while you're gone is eating, sleeping, or pooping.
    That is FUNNY!

I close and lock the gates, turn on the electric fence. I make sure the troughs are full ad there is plenty to eat - no reason to look elsewhere and go.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Well, they know it's bad to play with matches, and not to talk to strangers or accept candy from said strangers, but I'll have to have another talk with them about drinking the stuff that's under the sink
    Rebel Without Cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubies and Pearls View Post
    There's only one tree they can reach, and so far they've just been rubbing on it, but I was worried about that. I think I'm going to get them some Likits so that they'll have something else to do.
    You'll need more than Likits. Get some chicken wire and wrap it tightly around the tree. If not, I can guarantee the ponies will strip the bark and kill it. Your landlord will not be pleased.