The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    breederalter Guest

Default Are folks really serious?

This will probably not go over well with the masses but some of the threads on this forum are downright embarrassing. Are some "breeders" really as ignorant as they come across? Breeding a Jazz mare to Riverman? Wanting to quiet down a mare yet thinking of putting said mare to Quinar? Asking about black stallions because their mare "has a thing" for black stallions? Stating that a newly born foal has FEI ability because of who it's sire is. Better yet, stating the same foal will be able to do both FEI dressage and GP jumping. The answers to various posts are just as bad. Telling someone that an unproven stallion will guarantee the OP that they will get what they want. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm old and crotchety but really, it makes my head spin to read some of this.

I sit here and wonder just how many eyes fall upon various threads and what they must think of the US breeder. Oh and yes, there are some rather impressive breeders that read these forums. Totilas' breeder has recently stumbled across COTH land. Yeah, how is that for a surprise. I cannot imagine what they would think if they were read some of the threads on this forum. This forum reaches across continents so has anyone thought of what type of picture we are painting of ourselves?

There are some very, very, insightful threads and posts on this forum. They usually come from the same handful of folks and are occuring less and less. Perhaps they are busy with real life. Or, perhaps they are seeing where the forum is going and want no part of it.

Food for thought.

Whilst I see your point, if no one asked any questions for fear of being thought stupid, then a) it would be very boring and b) no one would learn anything at all.

What is more the point is that experienced breeders rather than tearing each other and everyone else down, could be encouraging more thoughtfulness by discussing exactly the points you raise without the tendency for this board to either go into 'oooooo shiny stallion is the best' or 'you're a moron' mode.

There will always people pushing their agenda/stallion at every opportunity. Sad but true. But why not just reply politely 'The OP would be better to think about x y and z as Shiny Stallion is not known to help in this area'

Quote Originally Posted by breederalter View Post
    Wanting to quiet down a mare yet thinking of putting said mare to Quinar? .
    I can only assume this was in reference to my thread.

Thank you for the kind welcome to the board.

Given how my mare did at her inspection, I became curious about stallion selection for her down the road.

I'm not planning on breeding now, or even next year, but I do plan on researching the snot out of a stallion before hand. When said mare is bred, the foal will be for me.

I posted looking for insight and opinions. Quinar is a lovely stallion who produces lovely foals. He was suggested to me by individuals who have a long and high standing reputation in the WB breeding world. I have had others tell me he would be too hot for my mare.

Wouldn't you rather see people ask for advice/opinions rather than go ahead and breed some POS?
    Last edited by Burgie; Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

So, OP, start a post just to attack others who are asking for insight?
    Your post is mean, arrogant and very condesending. Who do you think you are?

I am not interested in sport horse breeding, but as an experienced equestrian of several sports I find your attitude what makes beginner equestrians turned off to the fasade (sp) that you have to be a certain "way" to own horses.

I do not know any of the people, or stallions you are referring to, but it sure sounds like you think you know more and are better than others. Why not take a minute to try to educate people instead of attack them.

When I was the 4-H Agent, obviously the new families didn't know a lot about horses. I created a program for Beginner Horse Ownership. People learned in a welcoming environment instead of being made fun of for not knowing.

Congratulations, you belittled people who are sincerely asking for help. Oh, I am sure your "alterego" is one of the "greats" on here that know everything.

So who thinks they have this figured out? I think I might.

Welcome, Burgie. And don't worry. Not everyone can be a genius.

No dog in this fight. I really posted just so I could watch it implode.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Welcome, Burgie. And don't worry. Not everyone can be a genius.
    Good to know.

Apparently, and previously unbeknownst to me, I am one step away from dragging my knuckles on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgie View Post
    Good to know.

Apparently, and previously unbeknownst to me, I am one step away from dragging my knuckles on the ground.
    You want a banana? I've got a big old bunch right here with me.

Only if you can sprinkle it with brain cells.
    Oh - and will I be expected to keep my mouth closed as I chew?

You may be one step away from knuckle dragging, but I'm a confirmed knuckle dragger who goes waaaaay back to the original knuckle draggers. 'Got the calluses to prove it! At least us knuckle draggers tend to look out for our own, apparently very unlike sport horse breeders.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Good to know.

I think I'm in love with both of you! I can't stop laughing! You guys rock!

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    At least us knuckle draggers tend to look out for our own, apparently very unlike sport horse breeders.
    I have difficulty looking at anything from underneath my heavy brow-ridge.

I dunno. I've never actually eaten one. I can't figure out how to get past that yellow part on the outside.

Asking about black stallions because their mare "has a thing" for black stallions?
    Did you even read that thread fully? Did you even read that the OP said that yes, it was really just a fun thread?

If you don't like the threads, why read them?

And for your information, yes, some folks who want to breed ARE ignorant, which is the *entire* purpose for them asking those questions. Jazz and Riverman - I've been reading this forum for 10 years, I'm not a breeder, I don't know what's wrong with that. Obviously something VERY wrong in your eyes

Do you really expect everyone who is asking, and everyone who is replying, to be all-knowing? If that were the case, there'd be no "who should I breed to" threads!

I must be a real Neanderthal as I don't even breed warmbloods!

I will say that the endless posts asking how big people's babies will grow or if they will make 17 hands are tedious. Some of us Neanderthal's actually LIKE small horses!

I hope this doesn't turn into too big a trainwreck but really...isn't this forum for "fun" as well as being serious? The only stupid question is one that you are too embarrassed to ask.

I am not sure the OP's post merits any response, but I will point out that, ironically, it contains some fairly ignorant statements. For example, OP, why are you so astonished at the notion that the same horse might be able to do GP jumpers *and* dressage? It happens that many of the top international level dressage horses have hard core jumper pedigrees, and in fact some horses have competed in both (e.g.., Abdullah and Roemer, off the top of my head).

Regarding breeding hot to hot - which is what I *think* you are getting at with your hypothetical Jazz x Riverman pairing, well, first, I would not pay attention to what many COTHers think about a particular stallion as most have never seen or ridden the offspring in question and are just parroting stuff they have heard, often from sources that are less than reliable. Second, even assuming both bloodlines are hot, there is nothing to suggest that breeding hot to hot yields "more" hot (or double hot, if you will).

Regarding recognizing FEI potential in a foal, if you have been breeding, riding, and competing for decades as a number of breeders here have been doing, you should be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Obviously, much will depend on how the horse is trained and developed, but whether it has the natural aptitude to be among the top athletes out there *should* be readily apparent to an educated eye. As someone who has had great success with horses purchased as weanlings, I am quite certain the stars *can* be identified rather early.

Regarding "what people must think" of COTHers - any experienced breeder who looks down on someone else for asking an honest question really is not worth worrying about. The point of these forums is to provide a place to exchange ideas and information. Not everyone is an expert and in fact imo no one is an expert as everyone can always improve and learn new things. So instead of judging other people in order to inflate one's own ego, perhaps do something positive such as offer an educated answer to some of the other posters' questions.

This will probably not go over well with the masses but some of the threads on this forum are downright embarrassing. Are some "breeders" really as ignorant as they come across? Breeding a Jazz mare to Riverman? Wanting to quiet down a mare yet thinking of putting said mare to Quinar? Asking about black stallions because their mare "has a thing" for black stallions? Stating that a newly born foal has FEI ability because of who it's sire is. Better yet, stating the same foal will be able to do both FEI dressage and GP jumping. The answers to various posts are just as bad. Telling someone that an unproven stallion will guarantee the OP that they will get what they want. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm old and crotchety but really, it makes my head spin to read some of this.

I sit here and wonder just how many eyes fall upon various threads and what they must think of the US breeder. Oh and yes, there are some rather impressive breeders that read these forums. Totilas' breeder has recently stumbled across COTH land. Yeah, how is that for a surprise. I cannot imagine what they would think if they were read some of the threads on this forum. This forum reaches across continents so has anyone thought of what type of picture we are painting of ourselves?

There are some very, very, insightful threads and posts on this forum. They usually come from the same handful of folks and are occuring less and less. Perhaps they are busy with real life. Or, perhaps they are seeing where the forum is going and want no part of it.

Food for thought.
    I don't know if any of this is directed at me (funny I thought no one read my threads or posts since I got the smack down for asking about lines known for soundness) or if I am just jumping to conclusions.

Hi, my name is Adriane, I am 26 years old and have been riding when I had the time and money for the last 15 years. I have never ridden at a HITS show or in Wellington or any big indoor. I do not own any mares. And I don't plan on breeding anything in the near future.

But you know what? I want to learn. I feel like I have a good eye for horses and I have ridden some nice horses in my day even though I haven't shown in big venues. I go to inspections whenever I can get to one and I have met some people who are breeding awesome horses. All I am trying to do is learn about bloodlines and selecting breeding stock and raising healthy, talented youngsters. I might ask an ignorant question occasionally. If you don't like people trying to learn new things by asking questions maybe you should just go ahead and block me.

Pass me a banana yall!

*The majority of posters on here are wonderful, generous, people who have made SHB a very educational place. Thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge with those of us who are still learning!!!!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Oh, I see I got an honorable mention!

Anyway, to answer your question, no.

Actually right now at the top of my list is Furst Impression, and I dislike chestnuts...