The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

She's a pretty girl. Lovely condition too.

You can always move to England; we have three native snakes and they're all pretty small.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post
    I love New England I love New England I love New England I love New England..................
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    2 Jakes, is that you holding the snake? If so, you get Woman of The Year, hands down.

Even though my first reaction is yikes, you have to admire such an strong, beautiful creature. If it was a spider, on the other hand, I'd be doing a 'it's on me!' dance right now.

I hope the snake was moved to a safe place.
    She cut off her own head for the picture, lol, but 2Jakes has some great pix of the 2 horses standing around while she "rassles" the snake. She does that every day, well some of the snakes are a bit smaller, but some smaller ones are more dangerous. She and her fellow venom people are still hunting the green mamba that someone let loose, and it bit the cable repair guy.

Gorgeous snake!

I have two red tail boas, but they're just babies and only about 2' long right now, it's crazy how big they can get.
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Right now, the Oldenmare is in her nice, snakeless paddock, justified in her belief that trails are paths of pure evil... smugly smirking "I TOLD YOU SO" at me as I type.

And after these pictures, I am inclined to agree with her!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Snake question: Do those big snakes just keep growing as long as they live, or do they stop once they reach a certain size?

Personally, I don't ever need to see a snake outside of a zoo, and certainly not one more than maybe 6 inches, never mind 6 feet or more.

Pretty snake, what idiots who release their exotics to the wild. Of any species.

Now, the pressing question, did the Cable Repair guy who was bit by the Green Mamba live?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Jakes View Post
    We have been dealing with plenty of snakes 6-15 feet long lately so this one was average length but she is BIG around. (No wonder we haven't seen as many bunnies in the park as we used to!) These snakes can be dangerous although they don't usually view humans as a menu item...but if a toddler happened to find and play with/around/on a snake like this anything is possible. And it's probably not a good idea to mess with a snake this big unless you really know what you are doing, they have many sharp teeth and a grip that is to die for...pun intended.
    OH MY GOSH!!!
    More than fifty years ago my family and I were driving through the everglades when we stopped and got out of the car to look at some plant and our little cocker started pitching a fit. I turned and looked and a snake was crossing the road (colored like the picture shown) and it covered the WHOLE road!! Fortunately the dog was on lead as she struggled against it to go and chase away the danger to her family. I've never forgotten that but I thought it a fluke and probably the only snake in FLA. that size running loose
    YIKES.

Don't know which would be worse, our copperheads or them.....
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    Pretty snake, what idiots who release their exotics to the wild. Of any species.

Now, the pressing question, did the Cable Repair guy who was bit by the Green Mamba live?
    Last report from 2Jakes was that he was recovering in hospital.
    Don't ask comcast guy to go on call while the green mamba is still loose.

So ssssssssnakes go to Florida in the Fall (the "season") just like people from up north do?

Wait till you seel the albino coral snake they caught down there. Beautiful but dangerous, smaller than the big boa, but.............

Several years ago, one of our neighbors got bit by his pet King Cobra. He kept quite a few illegal snakes there, as was discovered after he was bitten. His home was probably 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies, (or as the snake crawls ) from my house/barn. I was quite relieved that year once winter arrived, as you never know what someone like that may have let loose to avoid arrest, or by accident, and ya know they sure wouldn't be calling animal control to report their lost/missing pet.

Chai....yep, that's me. I like handling the really big snakes, it can get sporty of they are really trying to bite but...it's still fun!

The boas that we catch are probably dumped animals, the only "known" breeding populations are in Deering Estate in Miami...we find them more and more though so maybe they are establishing.

The Burmese Pythons are the ones in the Glades and yes, they are an apex predator, equal to the alligators, he who gets the best first bite wins. They grow fast (8-9 feet at two years old) and have to disperse to find food, many end up in deep SW Dade because food items are commensal with humans (rats, mice, chickens, and eventually larger animals). We have also found some evidence that African Rock Pythons are reproducing in a certain area of SW Dade...we have caught several adults (one of which laid 37 eggs that would have been incubated in the wild had she made it across the street!) and recently I recovered a 28" baby...they hatch at 22" so this year's baby. Af Rocks are as big as Burmese but more aggressive.

As far as shoes, boots, purses...if there was a market for the burmese skins it would make their capture worthwhile and populations might be somewhat controlled...we will never be rid of them...like most introduced invasives they are here to stay.

Oh yes...the albino Coral Snake...here is a picture...she was found in Deltona, finders couldn't ID so they took her to a fire station, no ID there, they called animal control, no ID, trapper was called who took snakey to a serpentarium where they said "Holy $#it!"...she is the only albino CS ever found that anyone knows of...and she is huge! Very unusual for her to be able to survive in the wild, no camo! Thankfully, with all the passing around she never bit anyone.

Oh...and the cable guy is fine. He was able to provide a good description, so we had a good idea of what to watch for as far as signs and symptoms (which he did get) and he responded well to the antivenom. It's still hard to believe there *sure seems to be* a Green Mamba on the loose...and we can't confirm until we find the animal...another "legend" snake until we catch it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlbECS.JPG 
Views:	400 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	26534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlbECSface.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	26535  

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Several years ago, one of our neighbors got bit by his pet King Cobra. He kept quite a few illegal snakes there, as was discovered after he was bitten. His home was probably 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies, (or as the snake crawls ) from my house/barn. I was quite relieved that year once winter arrived, as you never know what someone like that may have let loose to avoid arrest, or by accident, and ya know they sure wouldn't be calling animal control to report their lost/missing pet.
    Our unit probably sent antivenom up for that bite...we get a couple a year from VA...

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Snake question: Do those big snakes just keep growing as long as they live, or do they stop once they reach a certain size?
    There are estimates of how big they *can* get (ie "the biggest ever seen") but they are usually rare specimens that are giant for the species...I think they slow down once they get as big as the log-snake but they probably do continue to grow to some degree. The better the food supply the bigger they are going to get. The park was obviously providing well for this animal!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Jakes View Post
    I think they slow down once they get as big as the log-snake but they probably do continue to grow to some degree.
    Eeee. Thanks. I guess.

The coral snake is beautiful.....poor thing, wonder if she had problems with sunburn. The only albino breed that I've ever seen is a python.

I love Montana... I love Montana... I love Montana....

Here we just have grizzlies, wolves, moose, and elk to worry with. Them I can handle. Snakes not so much...
    Fire Girl Photography
    www.FireGirlPhotography.com

Well, 2Jakes, you certainly started an interesting thread. What a job you have, never a dull moment.
    I love BC, I love BC, I love BC.....

Jakes,

I glanced at the topic of this thread and passed over it more than a few times. Imagine my morbid fascination when I decided to read it. Holy crap!!

I've never been quiet about my snake phobia, matter not whether it is poisonous, big, small, pretty, plain...I'm skeeered of 'em. Have posted in the past about "snake issues" and have come to the conclusion that I have to seriously reconsider my intent to relocate to a warmer climate in my golden years!

I have spent some time in the Bahamas...my family owns two properties in the Abacos...and I have been blissfully confident that there are no snakes there. I was chagrined when I learned that there are native vipers there. WTF? Is that true? I don't know if someone was yanking my chain or if there are native species that have not been decimated by a succession of hurricanes.

I've also been following the news about BIG snakes invading Florida with the attendant problems they've created. Serious question: Is the snake problem enough of a red flag to redirect phobics from relocating there? (Never mind the piss-poor economy issues that is tanking Fla. in general...)

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    I've also been following the news about BIG snakes invading Florida with the attendant problems they've created. Serious question: Is the snake problem enough of a red flag to redirect phobics from relocating there? (Never mind the piss-poor economy issues that is tanking Fla. in general...)
    It depends on where in Florida. So far the big snakes are in South Florida, I have not read any reports of them in this part of the state.

And for those of you loving New England, don't forget you have copperheads, water moccasins, and timber rattlers. Granted, they don't get all that big, but still dangerous!

Last week I was working late and watching the Late Show with Conan O'Brien, and they had a 20 foot python on the show. It took 7 people to hold it up.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I am a confirmed snake-a-phob, and my initial reaction to her pics were wanting to squirm and toes curling up.

But as I was looking at the last pic, she really is gorgeous. Is it crazy that I think her head looks really feminine?

2Jakes, I don't know how you do what you do, but thankfully you are out there doing it. Certainly not a job that I could ever do. And not one for the faint of heart.