The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1068

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Since you say your are located at the North Pole, just WTF kind of gators do you have? The mechanized ones don't count.
    Gators are COLD blooded! So lots in the arctic. Snow snakes too!

Bumping this up for St Patty's Day with an article about snakes in Ireland...but wait...Ireland doesn't have snakes! Well, apparently they do now...thanks to the pet trade, fashion sense, and a tanked economy! (Sound familiar?)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/wo...?emc=eta1&_r=0

I did find it interesting that, towards the end of teh article, it was noted that a "few" random vipers, rattlesnakes and cobras had been found loose ...we can't even claim that here in Miami! If the tone of the article is representative of the feelings about the loose snakes, it would seem that the Irish are far more casual about the whole deal than folks here would be.

Oh, and for anyone who still remembers SWAMP WARS...we have five new episodes starting April 11, running until May 2, THURSDAY 10PM time slot on ANIMAL PLANET. I have no idea what will be on these other than "Chuck and Ernie's Snakation in Costa Rica" which should be fun to watch. Hoping lots of people will watch the show...and let me know what happens! (I don't watch it.)

1 members found this post helpful.

Argh, I'll have brief TV access the week after it ends! We just got a system upgrade that doesn't count the megabytes, so I'll have to see if I can watch episodes on the internet now.

I was in Miami a couple weekends ago but running too nonstop to try and get hold of you. Hoover says hi!
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Time to reset the DVR!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Default Is that 2jakes in the news with the big albino snake?

OMG! We warmbloods were reading the tabloids (yes we read both the NYTimes and the tabloids in the city) and saw where 2jakes had caught a huge albino snake that was eating a dead kitty. Do snakes hoard/bury their food and come back to it later? Kitty was long dead, but snake was eating it.

And we cannot get the new york daily news link to work to put it here. Pictures and all of 2jakes and her snake capture.

Default video of 2jakes and albino snake

video at www.telegraph.co.uk

Warmbloods could jump that snake easily!

LOL! The story made it across the pond! Not quite accurate though...we don't even have five members on our whole team! Also...the cat (?) skull had nothing to do with the snake! I told them that when I handed it out to the cops who were helping empty out the shed. There was a shed skin in there so the snake had been taking refuge in there for a while, but she wasn't eating anything when we found her. SE is a nice snake, obviously someone's pet, however, no microchip so whoever owned her was non-compliant with the law on chipping. I would imagine they don't have a permit either so no one will come forward to claim her. We will keep her with our other big snakes and she will be used for education...or she will be placed in an appropriate facility.

Very sad incident in New Brunswick... I don't like snakes and this gives me nightmares
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...eir_scent.html

Why on earth would you want such an animal?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Very sad incident in New Brunswick... I don't like snakes and this gives me nightmares
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...eir_scent.html

Why on earth would you want such an animal?
    I came on COTH today specifically to post on this thread re: the same thing. Been reading multiple articles including some where experts say it's abnormal snake behaviour to the ones that indicate perhaps it was just "clinging" after falling.

I am no fan of snakes, I will admit, but I kind of respect them (moreso due to this thread) and....well... I don't understand why a) someone would own such a snake as this (like, Corn snakes and ball pythons I understand, don't want one, but understand....but a shy, aggressive, massive snake? WHAT IS THE POINT???) and b) am curious as to what about the African Rock Python makes it so much more "agressive" than, say, a Burmese? What defines aggression in a snake, anyways? Do snakes such as Burmese and Rock and reticulated pythons belong ANYWHERE other than the wild, and zoos/educational facilities????

I don't understand a lot about this situation, not the least of which includes why the guy had this snake in an enclosure with an obviously weak escape point, especially if some of the things I read was true and this creature has escaped before. I don't understand how he heard nothing (but perhaps the snake only partially fell and slithered the rest of the way down), and... yeah.

2Jakes, any insight?
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

there was no roof on the enclosure which was located right under a vent.... he must have had a big tree to get up that high too. Nightmare i tell you... the poor kids had spent a wonderful day at a farm and played with all kinds of animals, which experts think is what attracted the snake... the smell of animals, but he did not eat... were they too big? were the kids that close together that he wrapped himself around both at the same time? very strange! and sad.

Thanks for posting FI. I'm not sure what to tell you on *why* people keep these big snakes...if the animal is not for education I'm not sure there is a valid argument for keeping them. To say they are a conversation piece doesn't really cut it but I do think that attention seeking is part of it. They are a "collector's item" and an adrenaline rush (as are the "hots" or venomous snakes) and sometimes (it seems) some sort of affirmation of an identity for some people. This is certainly not the case for everyone who keeps potentially dangerous exotic "pets" but (*in my opinion*) it applies to many.

The large constrictors are not "fun" to own from a husbandry perspective...they are eating machines, expensive to feed, and they need a big habitat which can be difficult to clean because they are super messy (and snake crap is gag-worthy smelly)! African Rock Pythons are generally very high-strung and are almost always nasty tempered. Even if you get one as a baby and handle it regularly and gently, they just do not "tame down" like some of the other pythons such as the Burmese. Like Africanized Bees, I think that the environment of Africa is so hostile that the animals must be equally hostile in order to survive...so they evolve to bite/sting first and ask questions later.

I hope that the investigation in this case will shed some light on exactly how A) a 100 lb snake can "fall" thru a ceiling without anyone hearing it, and B) how it could strangle two children, with a third in the same room, and never make (or allow) a sound that awakened anyone. C) why did it kill two and eat zero? and D) how is it that the adult thought the kids were "just asleep" when he discovered the bodies?! Surely they were not on the bed lying in normal positions after being squeezed to death by a 15' snake. No blood? No bite marks or bruising? How could that be?

My heart goes out to the family of the boys and for the small town where this occurred. I'm sure it was an accident (albeit one that was preventable, no matter what the situation!) and I'm sure the snake owner feels horrible...BUT...here we have yet another case that the animal is blamed for the bad behavior (irresponsible stewardship) of the owner. Mr Snake Owner should face charges for this. He doesn't have to go to jail (no amount of punishment will bring the kids back) but he should have to do an extraordinary amount of community service and pay some sort of restitution to the mother of the boys. Of course, if she knowingly let her kids be exposed to these large constrictors, which it appears that she did...well...very tough lesson lady but you bear part of the blame on this too.

Common sense just isn't. (Common.)

I hope that the investigation in this case will shed some light on exactly how A) a 100 lb snake can "fall" thru a ceiling without anyone hearing it, and B) how it could strangle two children, with a third in the same room, and never make (or allow) a sound that awakened anyone. C) why did it kill two and eat zero? and D) how is it that the adult thought the kids were "just asleep" when he discovered the bodies?! Surely they were not on the bed lying in normal positions after being squeezed to death by a 15' snake. No blood? No bite marks or bruising? How could that be?
    Thanks for your post, 2Jakes. I've been calling BS on that story since it aired. No part of it makes any sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Thanks for your post, 2Jakes. I've been calling BS on that story since it aired. No part of it makes any sense at all.

The snake has conveniently disappeared, I understand. I realize, being from the state that spawned Susan Smith, that I may be a little cynical. But I don't think the snake had anything to do with those two poor little boys ending up dead.
    I read that the snake was euthanized and a necropsy was being done...why I don't know...I'm not sure what they think they might find.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Jakes View Post
    I read that the snake was euthanized and a necropsy was being done...why I don't know...I'm not sure what they think they might find.
    Sorry, 2Jakes, I looked at the link after I posted and then edited. When the story was first reported on TV, the snake was nowhere to be found. At least according to the TV journalists.

But yeah, I can't figure out why they're doing a necropsy. It's not like the little Kintner boy will spill out on the dock, is it?

I still think something else happened to those kids. I'll be interested to read what their autopsies reveal.

Autopsy revealed they died from asphyxiation
    http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/20...boys_died.html

I truly don't believe anything else happened to the boys. The snake owner is devastated. He caught the snake and gave it to police. All the other snakes will be rehomed to accredited zoos and sanctuaries.

Tonight there was a vigil in the small town to remember the two boys.

I will never understand why people keep snakes like that, but people do. It is up to the different municipalities in Ontario to set the rules for exotic pets, but there will always be people who break the rules. thanks 2Jakes for giving your input on this.

The story changes with each news report -- more will come to light. If the parents had ANY inkling that a snake was being kept upstairs, you can bet they would not have left a 4 yo and a 6 yo there.

The African Rock python is illegal in all of New Brunswick, so he would not have been able to get a permit...and he could not legally have sold it in his pet store below.

Devastating all around.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

The mother knew there were snakes downstairs as per the pictures of the kids helping clean the cages, all smiles and having fun (no snake in the enclosure then). As far as I understand, he owned the store below! Don't know what reports you are reading Foxtrot...
    Also, the necropsy was to ascertain that the snake was not starving. He actually was in very good condition.
    oh, and the latest is that the SO got the snake from a government of Canada dept.

As I understand it, the owner had a reptile type pet store downstairs - and lived upstairs where he kept the African Rock Python, that escaped and went into the ceiling, falling down onto the kids. And how he got an illegal snake from a Government dept, is also weird. The real story will emerge, eventually.

An ex-employee says the python was rescued from a private home and resettled in the zoo - which the pet store was once, before it became a pet store. He said the irony was that is why it was moved, to stop such an accident happening.

But asphyxia just means they died from lack of oxygen. No reports of other injuries, like bites or bruises or broken bones or any other injury consistent with being constricted.

Normally, a large snake will grab hold of prey with a sudden firm bite; flinging its coils around the prey and squeezing hard. Then it unwraps slowly and eats its prey. So I just don't understand how the boys looked as if they were still sleeping and presumably didn't have a mark on them. Or how both of them could've been killed at one time by one snake.

It may be that the authorities just aren't releasing all the information yet.

The information released so far makes one think of cases where children were suffocated with a pillow or similar.