The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Exclamation *This* is why they spook at logs...Watch Animal Planet! see top of post 1

Hi everybody! Its been a while but spring is here and with it...ssssnakes! and sssspiders...and other critters. We have been busy with calls...and filming...so, here we are...

Animal Planet will be airing a show about our team! It is called Swamp Wars and the preview is on Sunday 5/29 at 11PM EST. The actual premiere is Sunday June 12 at 9PM. Here is a link to a teaser clip about the show
    http://2cmedia.com/watch-swampwars#/0.
    I am the only girl on the team so I'm easy to pick out . Hope y'all like it!

You know those silly horses...they are going down the trail and they see a new log and...! Because late at night...when it's dark and quiet...they tell ghost stories about the big scary logs...and here is the basis in fact for their lore...

1st picture is the trail that the "log" left behind
    2nd picture is the "log", after it was wrestled out of its hiding place
    3rd is self explanatory, ithe "log's" head was almost as big as my hand

Backstory: For years there were stories of a big snake living in this park but no one could ever find it or get a picture of it...until now! We ride this park 4-5 times a week, been riding there 10 years, amazingly have never seen this girl. (I guess I should say we *hope* this is the legendary animal...and there isn't another one out there!)

BTW...this is a Red-tailed Boa Constrictor, female. She is between 9-10 feet long, 18 inches in girth and weighs 70-80 pounds. It is the second one in two shifts for me, the other one (from Dade County, not the park this one came out of) was 8-9 feet and maybe 50-60 pounds. Gotta' love South Florida!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTPSnake090309_001.jpg 
Views:	2062 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	26524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTPSnake_090309_007.jpg 
Views:	2566 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	26525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TTPSnake_090309_023.jpg 
Views:	2720 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	26526  
    Last edited by 2Jakes; May. 27, 2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: New TV show coming on

1 members found this post helpful.

golly day! That is crazy! I don't think I'm ever moving to southern fl!

OMG!

I would have died! That third photo of the face was - well, I couldn't get it off my screen fast enough. I don't do big snakes!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Never mind the horses spooking--I'm going to start!!

LOL, the lead horse (well, pony...Haflinger) stepped right over it ...she doesn't believe those awful stories...her world is sunshine and daisies...second horse was like "whaaaat the...?! "

Wow, very neat! (Yeah I like snakes ) But poor horse, I'm sure they're not thrilled when the 'logs' are mobile.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

My horse would have sat down on his back legs and had a nervous breakdown.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Now what did you go and post that for? My horse is saying "YOU SEE I WAS RIGHT !!! "

Imagine my surprise that they offer a bounty on these snakes. We just had those big bad copperheads in KY and an occassional turykey vulture to deal with there.

What do they do with these snakes once they are caught?
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I love New England I love New England I love New England I love New England..................

Did you find it out there - or take the pictures. Tell us the whole story.... are they pretty harmless? I have a 3' garden snake in our yard, lives by the pond. That is the extent of our excitement up here!

Those snakes go to petting zoos, audoban societies and even as private pets to approved homes.
    She's a lovely girl, looks to be in good health too. Only in that weather could they do so well. Around here they'd never live through the season changes. Problems with having them loose in populated areas though is that they will snack on smaller pets.
    Good job by the handler, handling a snake her size solo can be rough if they don't want to be handled or aren't used to being handled, they're extremely strong.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The boas went to the nature center where we keep our big constrictors...if they are nice we use them for education. If they are not nice we use them for training ("Safe Capture of Big Mean Snakes"), or we try to place them for display.

The wild-born Burmese Pythons (those are the "bounty" snakes from out in the Everglades, but nobody gets paid for them) are mostly sent for (legitimate, humane) research projects (life studies, diet studies, genetics, DNA). Ultimately they are euthanized...unfortunately there are not many options for these animals. We have recovered ~15-20 big constrictors in the past 6 weeks...and its not even "the season" yet .

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Did you find it out there - or take the pictures. Tell us the whole story.... are they pretty harmless? I have a 3' garden snake in our yard, lives by the pond. That is the extent of our excitement up here!
    Friends of mine saw it out on the trail, in a place that we go by probably every other ride...they called me in a panic (I was at work. I am on the Venom Response Team of Miami Dade Fire Rescue, in addition to snakebites we recover large snakes like this one, they don't belong in the wild.) and said I had to come right away. My OIC was off that day and he lives not so far away so I called him to go look, I was pretty far away. He found it and brought it out, then I got there and we got it contained.

We have been dealing with plenty of snakes 6-15 feet long lately so this one was average length but she is BIG around. (No wonder we haven't seen as many bunnies in the park as we used to!) These snakes can be dangerous although they don't usually view humans as a menu item...but if a toddler happened to find and play with/around/on a snake like this anything is possible. And it's probably not a good idea to mess with a snake this big unless you really know what you are doing, they have many sharp teeth and a grip that is to die for...pun intended.

OMG

My husband asks me all the time what I think about living in Florida. There's my answer.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post
    I love New England I love New England I love New England I love New England..................
    I love New Zealand, I love New Zealand, I love New Zealand, I love New Zealand - we don't have any snakes AT ALL!!

Wow! Amazing creatures ... from a distance.

Kindly refrain from informing my horse of this thread. I've spent years convincing him his instincts are wrong.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    OMG

My husband asks me all the time what I think about living in Florida. There's my answer.
    We don't have the same problem in northern FL, because of the occasional freeze, and colder winters. At least not that I have heard of here in Ocala, just the normal native snakes. The big non-native snakes have been big news since the poor little girl was killed by the family pet snake this year.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2Jakes View Post
    ...We have recovered ~15-20 big constrictors in the past 6 weeks...and its not even "the season" yet ....
    The season? Okay, this is an education, I've never really been to Florida. Somehow I thought there were maybe 2 big scary snakes loose in Florida.

Those can't survive here, no need to ride outside with eyes glued to the ground. Should I ever ride in Florida I will try to be on a horse that does spook and run from slithering creatures on the ground. goooood boy!!