The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pennfield Feeds- Fibregized?

I know there has been a lot of mention of this feed, but I never paid any attention to it because I was in an area where you couldn't find it.

One of the stores nearby is becoming a dealer for it, and it peaked my attention. We e-mailed the company with a few questions to see what they'd recommend for our boys. Fibregized was recommended for my Arab, the 20 y/o TB, and the 5 y/o we just took off the track.

However, we are slightly confused by the response recommending Fibregized. We stated in the e-mail that the Arab is allergic to wheat, and the rep saw it since he mentioned it in his response, however when I looked at the ingredients list, Wheat Middlings is the first ingredient listed. We e-mailed him back asking about it and are waiting on a response from him.

The 20 y/o and 5 y/o who it was recommended for seem like they would be a good fit for the Fibregized, but we are trying to figure out if it is worth using for us or if it will just be a hassle in the long run (we also have a horse allergic to beet pulp, which is an ingredient). I'm wondering if the results we'll see with 2 horses on this grain will make it worth having in the barn.

Opinions on Fibregized please?! Thanks!

I have never giving it to my horses- but I do have some experience around it.
    One it's really expensive! like $20/40lbs or something.

But to me it seems VERY loaded with molasses, the feed is almost black in color, and that's sugar.
    Also, the feed has a ton of beet pulp in it- I would rather feed beet pulp on the side if I wanted to feed BP.

It should be soaked, I'm pretty sure. A lady I work for feeds it and then she sprays it with water and the horse slobber it all over the place and the flies are gross in her barn. I don't know if that would be a problem for you, but it as annoying working in that barn.

I wouldnt trust asking the rep. I mean they are out there to sell it right? I don't think they would be telling you to feed it to a foundering pony- but I think for the most part they will tell you it's good for your horse. If your horses are having weight problems, better hay, if possible, is probably the best solution.

I feed my horse fibergized. I personally like it a lot. I don't think that there is a lot of molasses in it at all. There is a whole lot less sugar in it than the sweet feed he was eating. Many people feed this type of feed because it has LESS sugar in it. I can't say how much as I have not looked at the label. Both my vet and farrier have recommended this feed for that reason. Just because it is black doesn't mean that it is loaded with molasses.

You do not have to soak this feed at all. None of the horses that eat this feed in our barn get it soaked and they are all just fine. I have noticed that it does indeed attract a lot of flies, but then again I have not watched if they swarm around other feeds.

I love Pennfield Fibregized Omega - all of my horses have been on it at one point or another. It does NOT have to be soaked, and is low in sugar and NSC and high in fat.

I lost the post I started so it must be floating somewhere in outer space. Anyway the point I was trying to make was that we have been feeding the Pennfield Phase feeds for our 6 horses for year now. The feed store owner thought perhaps Pennfield got one great deal on beet pulp so was passing it on in the fibergized feeds and didn't suggest we change from what we have been using, quite successfully.
    I'm not into beet pulp since a horse I had in training came home 400 pounds underweight and looking like the wrath of God, and he was feed beet pulp primarily. Obviously not enough food for his 17-2 body!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I love Pennfield products in general and have been very happy with the results I have had with my horses that get the Fibergized (I also feed the Phase 3 and Cool n Lite). Two of them have a tendency to get chubby over winter vacation, but seem to lose weight instantly as soon as you walk out of the tack room with their saddles. On the Fibergized, instead of struggling to keep weight on them during the busy part of the year and constantly playing catch up, they really blossomed and have maintained their weight really well. Unforunately, one of those horses is MY horse, who is allergic to beet pulp. He's on whole oats now (since he's allergic to a few other things, too). Also have a horse who mysteriously lost weight over the summer, and while I had to really feed him way more than I normally like, when he caught back up, he caught back up REALLY well. He looks great now, though I'd still like to see a few more pounds on him...unfortunately, he likes to crib more than eat his hay, so we might always have a fight for those last few pounds. It is a great product and highly palatable. They really love it, they stay quiet on it, and they absolutely bloom. 3 of our 12 horses get it. I don't mind the expense as it is worth it to me.

I do NOT like this product. Joey choked so severely on it he ended up at Morven, with a foot-long compaction of Fibergized. Of course then, after it was cleared, he ended up with aspiration pneumonia... and I ended up with an almost $4,000 bill. Thank goodness I had insurance at the time.

I thought it was just a one-off, but when i brought him home, and he started to choke again, AND another started to choke on it (Mr. Duchovny) I swore off it.

Nope, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

I've used it for the last 3 years and love it! Horse looks great and feels great (TB mare).
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I fed my horses Fibregized when I had access to it and was very happy with it. As already mentioned, it is beet pulp-based, fairly low sugar, high fat and very consistent in ingredients and nutritional values (I always have my feed independently tested for this). In your case, if you have a beet pulp allergy, it might not be the best option, but it is a very good quality feed and I found it useful for a variety of horses, including an EPSM horse and an elderly retiree.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Default Here's my experience FWIW

I personally like it a lot and so do the horses. Molasses is 8th on the list, but it does have oil which turns the ingredients dark. I pay 19.98 for 50 lbs which is comprable to other high end feeds, (recently they had a sale and I paid 10.00 for 50 lbs). My barn is amazingly free from flys, which my farrier appreciates and so did the 30 or so people who came over yesterday and visited the horses.

So far I give it a thumbs up. I 've also had a horse choke on pellets and one choked on sweet feed, at an endurance ride years ago a horse choked on hay, I do soak all my feed because 3 of the 4 I have are seniors and all are a potential choke waiting.

There's feed for everyone out there, you just have to find the right one and then wait for the next "miracle feed" to hit the market Seriously, I do like this feed. I went to a lecture about it and that's why I started feeding it as well as my instructor feeds Pennfield.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Default Fibergized and choke

You can add us to the list of horses who choke on it. One of our last night bolted his feed a bit and choked. Thankfully, we caught it right away and he's right as rain today, but it was scary. For all we know, he may have choked on anything, but he is newish to the feed (only been on it a week).

Still love the feed, but may drop back and punt with this one. I may considering switching from the Fibergized to the Enduro Event, which is similar, but for now, I'll cut this guy's with the Phase 3 and wet it for awhile.

May I ask, what is the texture of the feed like? I am looking for a crumbly like texture such as TC Senior. No whole oats in it...attracts too many birds and manure gets all chipped up.

The texture of the feed is similar to TC Senior.

OP: If you have horses that are allergic to wheat & beet pulp, check out Pennfields Grand Prix Granola. Basically, the feed is made up of oats, barley & flaked corn. No molasses; they say it's an extremely low sugar formula. They do have pellets in the feed that provide vitamins & minerals (they are apple flavored, making the feed smell like a breakfast cereal).

I fed this for a few years and was very happy with it. It would be worth asking the nutritionist if this would work for you. Cost is similar to Fibregized.

The comparison between Fibregized & Granola:

Granola: Crude Protein (min.) - 10.0%
    Crude Fat (min.) - 10.0%
    Crude Fiber (max.) - 7.0%

Fibregized: Crude Protein (min.) - 12.0%
    Crude Fat (min.) - 11.50%
    Crude Fiber (max.) - 15.50%

Not so in love with it tonight. Second horse in 24 hrs choked. Both boys eat fast but the second one has been on it for months now. I'm nervous with it now. I am calling the feed store tomorrow...maybe it is the batch, but I am also considering the switch to the Granola or the Enduro Event (both of which I've used before and like).

Add me to the list of horses who have choked on it... Twice (Resulting in two vet calls within a week of each other, antibiotics, etc...)
    We tried soaking it, but it just ended up being a pain. Horse has never choked on any other feed and does not bolt her grain.

if you cover the fibergized with water it soaks it up in like 10 minutes to help alleviate the choking issues. I also had 1 out of 47 choke but the only reflux we got was wood shavings. I think he choked picking up what he dropped. I've had horses choke on other feeds-pellets, sweet. some are predisposed anatomically. Feeding out of a floor pan also helps bc its a more natural position.

edhjmh Guest

I'd look at Triple Crown Low Starch. It also contains wheat middlings, but most horse feeds do these days. But one of their reps recommended it for my horse that has a number of different allergies and it works great. Since the germ portion of the wheat is gone, wheat middlings don't seem to have the same effect and wheat itself. It does have some beet pulp so it may not work for your other horse.

Fibregized is what my barn feeds - especially for TBs! (High fat/low carb). Ponies and easy keepers get Cool'N'Lite. I also knew someone who fed the Granola. Not sure what is in it but it looks YUMMY! LOL. Have you checked their website for more detailed information on all the feeds? If you email or call for information the people are also very helpful there. LOVE FIBREGIZED!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

We had one mare boarded with me kept on Fibergize. We fed her a ton of it, and she looked like cr*p compared to the rest of the horses that were on Purina sweet feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    We had one mare boarded with me kept on Fibergize. We fed her a ton of it, and she looked like cr*p compared to the rest of the horses that were on Purina sweet feed.
    Hmmm, perhaps she might have looked even worse on a different feed. Without trying, hard to say. I love the Pennfield feeds...my TB is 20 and looks about 10.