The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default UPDATEDCanter Horse Question - for those who have looked at or bought one in the past

Im going to look at a canterhorse tomorrow. From your previous experience dealing with track owners:

Would it be ok for me to pay for the horse and arrange pick-up later or should I take the trailer?

Will I be able to ride him? Or at least see him be ridden by the exercise riders?

Do the trainers mind if you get a vet check?

I've bought OTTBs before this is when I was younger and my trainer would go to the track and come back to tthe barn with, "this is your new horse, hope you like him" lol. glad to be more involved in the process this time.
    Last edited by Keep1Belle; Sep. 7, 2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

If the horse is actually on the backside of a race track you will not be able to ride him. If he is still in training you could come in the morning and watch him gallop. You can get a vet check. Most of these horses are for sale because they can't get the job done therefore they want them out of there as soon as possible to open up the stall for a different horse. You might talk them into holding them a day or two but they won't be happy about it.
    If the horse has already been moved to a farm then it varies. You may be able to ride him, you may be able to leave him there for a while without too much trouble, you can vet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    If the horse is actually on the backside of a race track you will not be able to ride him. If he is still in training you could come in the morning and watch him gallop.
    And if you do this, take your vid and still cameras as you probably will get to see him trot and canter as well as gallop and if you're hoping ot get a trainer [yours] to weigh in that could be helpful to show him/her.

My ottb came off at 6 and has been 'sound' for most of the 18 years I have had him, jumping, Dressage, trail riding, and way too many years on too hard surfaces. I can not say enough good things about a good TB.

Thanks! he's still at the track. not sure if he is in training, Im ASSuming not because I was told to get there between 9a and 10a, wouldnt he be done workouts by then??

I think it will be ok, I'll bring cash and hopefully trainer will hold him for a day or two. I could bring the trailer but, I want to make sure the barn is prepped for him, moving on a holiday is not ideal as owners will be occupied.

Excited!! I will let y'all know how it goes. I have not owned a horse since college, when I had to start footing all the bills my self. now that I have a good nest egg and nice barn to keep him at ( I teach lessons there after work) i'm prepared for horse owneship again.

My experience with going to the track... we take the trailer.. if we liked the horse generally the trainer allowed my trainer (who had bought tons of OTTBs over the years) to do flexion tests up and down the aisle way. Usually we were paying sooo little for them that if they flexed well and we wanted them, we bought them and put them on the trailer lol. Had I been doing it by myself... I'd probably go look and then try and have a vet at least do a basic exam before I bought the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep1Belle View Post
    Thanks! he's still at the track. not sure if he is in training, Im ASSuming not because I was told to get there between 9a and 10a, wouldnt he be done workouts by then??
    Morning workouts vary - I know at Suffolk Downs they go until 10:00 am for workouts and then close it to get the track ready for post time. Like others have said - you won't be able to ride the horse due to liability reasons. You can see the horse workout and see it jogged near the barn but that's about it. As far as vetting goes - no the trainers don't mind and if they do, find another horse to look at . Don't assume a vet can help you right away - if it is race day they have to spend the morning getting horses ready who are racing that day so they are very busy. Trainers do like it when you show up w/ cash and a trailer . Just don't insult them and offer them some ridiculous price that is not even a fraction of their asking price (most trainers don't like that). And don't make any comments that aren't good ones in front of the trainers, etc. That doesn't go over well either .

If you do buy him, find out about his vaccinations and make sure you get his Coggins papers. If he still has his racing plates on make sure you pull them before he gets turned out (and don't turn him out in a huge field right away - he may need time to adjust to farm life).

Other than that - have fun !! OTTB's are the best and I personally love them and love seeing the TB's every weekend when I'm taking listings for CANTER . I'd take them all home if I could !!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

So I went to Charles Town today and bought a canter cutie. (copy the link below in the browser)

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...&directory=282

This is his pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/no+halo3

He is pretty small, 15 hands or so. But I think he will be a good little horse, pretty excited to see him grow and fill out and come along with training.

He's adorable! Good luck with him.

Hooray for you! I saw this guy and thought he was way cool. I have a mare out of a Halo mare and she is small, opinionated, very smart, and will jump anything, although sometimes faster than I want!