The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to soften rough hands

I work outside with horses 6 days a week and my hands are getting all calloused & rough. I'm looking for any tricks on how to soften them up! Any advice?

Bag balm.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Bag balm.
    I second this suggestion!! it works great! and is fairly inexpensive!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Olive Oil, the cheap kind...Pomace. I have been using it for years, it is also my face moisturizer. I have not a single wrinkle and my hands are as smooth as silk. If your hands are cracked and bleeding you can slather it on at night, throw on some cotton gloves and your hands will be so happy in the morning.

My DH is a concrete mason and right now he is working with a chemically dyed specialty cement for a commercial project. Even with gloves the stuff eats through and just kills his hands. He keeps a plastic bottle with olive oil that I simmer some chamomile and lavender in and he uses it throughout the day.

I avoid anything that has mineral oil in it (like bag balm), it smothers my skin horribly and I end up with a nasty rash.

To do some quick softening, you can add sugar to the oil to make a paste and then rub your hands briskly. Instant spa at home!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I like this stuff: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp87813_33...otion_aloe.htm

Available in most drug stores and many grocery stores

Buy a pair of cotton gloves at the local pharmacy and a tub of petroleum jelly. After you are fully dressed for bed and have brushed your teeth, dip your hands in the jelly and schmear on a thick coat. Pull on the gloves with your teeth. Peel off the next morning and your hands will be nice and soft - repeat each night. Works great with feet, too (socks! you have to put socks on or it will ruin your sheets ).

'Course you can spend a lot of money on nice creams that have a lovely smell and nicer packaging then petroleum jelly, but I've always been rather a cheap sort and am happy to save money over the nicer scent.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoZo View Post
    I work outside with horses 6 days a week and my hands are getting all calloused & rough. I'm looking for any tricks on how to soften them up! Any advice?
    Something you can get at the drugstore in the foot care section, it's called Kerasal, although I buy the CVS generic brand. Has lactic acid or something in it to dissolve dry skin, all I know is that since I've started using it neither my heels or my fingers have split in the cold weather, soft as a baby's bum.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Burts Bees Hand Salve. A bit on the expensive side, but works really really well.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Pumice stone.

Quote Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post
    Something you can get at the drugstore in the foot care section, it's called Kerasal, although I buy the CVS generic brand. Has lactic acid or something in it to dissolve dry skin, all I know is that since I've started using it neither my heels or my fingers have split in the cold weather, soft as a baby's bum.
    I sent off for a free sample once and was amazed at what it did for my calloused, never soft heels!! It really does work..and I , too, am the cheap petroleum jelly sort...This stuff has something different for sure!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Smile Thank you!

Thank you all so much for the remedies! I have a lot to try now :-)

I wear deerskin gloves as much as I can and keep the gloves well conditioned, that definatly helps.

The parafin wax dip thing they do when you get a manicure (or you can get a home machine to do it) is wonderful!

For daily use I use the Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme.

Avon's Skin So Soft winter*soft hand cream!

Jim's Crack Cream. Miraculous.

Wear gloves to work in.

Bag Balm.
    OOPS! Didn't read the beginning posts. But Bag Balm is wonderful stuff for man or beast. Works well on dry hooves, too.
    Last edited by CB/TB; Sep. 7, 2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: adding comments

I like Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. A little dab goes a long way. Put it on before you go to bed and by morning you'll see a big difference.