The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Horse leaning into the needle

First off I hope this is in the right area. It was either here or Off Course. Let me know if it needs to be moved please.

So, as a lot of you know I took in Rally the bay ASB from the broker page of AC4H's site. I adore him and all of his never ending quirks but there is one thing he does that I have NEVER had a horse do or even seen one do! I'm guessing it's not that uncommon as my vet was used to it, but it bothers the heck out of me for various reasons and I have no clue how to begin stopping it.

From the title you already know he leans into the needle. But this isn't just a slight lean, he just about falls over with how far over he goes and just bares full weight on that side on the needle and onto you. I would be terrified if we used long needles for something! Seeing this, he would probably end up with it going straight through his neck lol.

Seriously though, other than warning my vet prior to needles, is there anything that I can do to stop him or help him with it? He's extremely sensitive to touch and very unsure of himself with everything. What do you guys think?
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Sometimes blocking their eye so they can't see (they usually panic & push towards the needle in response) will lessen it. I've never seen any get really 'better' as if they don't like needles they don't like needles....

I have dutch doors, and for a horse that objects to a needle, I just have their head over the door, and pop it in with no syringe attached. (Actually I never have a syringe attached when I insert the needle). Then I pat, distract a bit until they settle, attach the syringe and proceed with the injection.

Thank you both. Unfortunately no dutch doors though I want them. I will have to try covering his eyes next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time soon) For the most part what I have been trying to do is keep him distracted but he's smart and catches on the second the vet starts walking to his neck lol. Other suggestions are still welcome and I'll let you know how it goes with covering his eyes. He really is a naughty boy but so damn cute so it evens out.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Maybe try giving him the shot in the chest? Personally I would probably try a twitch, because I am mean like that.

Ouch! Lol, just thinking about it in the chest makes me cringe. I have never had to use a twitch but they did try that too but with no improvement. I wish he would just understand my words "If you hold still it won't hurt so bad and will be over with much quicker" Ugh lol.

Most are really easy with injections in the chest muscle. Just make sure to go one side or the other, not the center.

ugh My trainer has a small pony mare and every time she gets an IV shot she leans so bad she about knocks you down. trainer ends up kneeling in the shavings and the mare has her head pinned to her chest and contorted into the needle like a boa constrictor. And she didn't "grow" out of it, she was an AA circuit pony for like 20 years, and I imagine got a LOT of shots.