The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5yo Grey OTTB Gelding in SE PA *added pics* SOUND!

9/22

YAY! Vet came out today and dug out a wicked bad abscess that popped out his cornet band He feels SO much better and besides the fact that it is wrapped is walking well again. Vet said it was def. the abscess not his stifle as we orginally thought and he should be fine to go back to riding!

He's waiting for a great home!

--------------------------------------------------

I will be posting more information and pictures as soon as I can.

5 Year Old
    Gelding
    Reg TB

Came off the track about a month ago and has been turned out in 25+ acre mixed herd

Ran around a bit when he was first turned out and was a bit sore but seems sound now.

Owner is leaving barn at end of the month and can not take him with... I said I'd try to spread the word but everyone's barn seems to be full and I'd hate for something bad to happen to him.

Please PM me if you have any questions and I will try my very best to answer

and thank you to those who even opened this thread and considered.. I know this is a horrible economy to be an unwanted horse

Pics:
    http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz344/2laz2race/

Wound has healed well since photos were taken (3 or 4 days ago) but his feet do bother him. Farrier is coming out this weekend. He's ouchy and footsore but has no qualms trotting and cantering in the field with his buddies.

I was told he has ossolets in his left front (the same one with the wound on it) but I don't have x-rays to back that up.

None of his joints or tendons are soft or hot.

I also did get his papers and current coggins.

He's a sweet boy and takes any task I ask of him with stride.
    -----------------------------------
    Update 9/20

My sister has been working with him a lot and he's a great horse to be around. His front end is sound but he seems to have slipped his stifle which is causing him some discomfort behind. Owner was shown this and said he just needed to walk it off which hasn't been the case yet so we're doing our best to make him comfortable.

His feet are actually in good shape after his trim and he's slowly putting on weight.

I was hoping for a local home (just so I have some idea that he'll end up in a good place) but if anyone thinks they might be able to home him i'd be willing. He's super calm and would make a great babysitter and once sound he's not spooky or scared of anything on trails (my sister was able to walk him around the trails before he slipped his stifle and she is a very timid rider and was totally confidant.)
    Last edited by 2LaZ2race; Sep. 22, 2009 at 09:58 PM.

I am interested in some pictures please
    (]~~[) Amy (]~~[)

* I hope I never get too old to ride, despite the injuries and pain, because I cannot imagine not doing the thing I most enjoy in my life.*

Please contact Mapleshade about this horse -

PM her.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Im sending a PM.
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Thanks for all the interest!

I'm so happy to see that even in this economy people are willing to open up their hearts (and wallets) to horses in need!
    Last edited by 2LaZ2race; Sep. 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

BUMP!

He still needs a home

Also in advance.. I'm sorry if i'm not super quick with e-mails this weekend.. I'm throwing a baby shower

Hey Guys... I've been doing my very bestest to find this horse a home. My sister was trying to keep him but he just isn't sound enough for what she wants to do right now. Obviously being so fresh off the track he could just need time but she doesn't really want to risk that

He seems to have slipped his stifle and is a bit sore on it. I am doing a round of antibiotics (for the wound even though it's healing very nicely) and bute and his feet are being taken care of and we're doing our best to put weight on him.

If anyone knows of someone in need of a companion horse or is looking for a big project he's kind, willing and a pleasure to be around.

He looks quite a bit like my boy (rescued from New Holland last fall). I can't take another but I'm curious, what is his breeding?

Quote Originally Posted by tikidoc View Post
    He looks quite a bit like my boy (rescued from New Holland last fall). I can't take another but I'm curious, what is his breeding?
    I'll send you a PM

in response to your other reply (though it'd be better to reply here, since the other one was about supps lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaZ2race View Post
    We're doing our best... I posted an update on the Giveaway forum cause he is just still really sticky on that stifle. I'm not sure if he's going to be sound enough for what my sister wants and I feel bad saddling her with an unsound horse.

I already have a horse who can't be ridden that I'm going to provide a forever home for and she'd really like something she can actually ride.

Hopefully he'll either come sound-er or I can find someon who can give him more time or needs a companion horse.

I'm between a rock and a hard place for sure
    that really does suck my ottb is still not quite up to 100% health. and its hard because i love jumping, and so does he. it's just i can rarely do it with him because i'm worried about putting him in pain. so i understand about wanting a sound-er horse. i wish i could take him. but that'd be my problem, too--wanting a sound horse lol. i've already decided my next horse will be a bit younger and un-raced. my boy's only 11, but he has a history with racing and HJ lol so his joints aren't the best. i really hope this boy finds a loving home that can give him all the time he needs. he's so gorgeous <3

bump... vet made him better!

really? how did it go? what did they say was the problem?

oh my bad, didn't see the edit in the original post. that's so great to hear i want him sooo bad! i just can't afford it haha. you should post more pics since he seems to be a bit more comfy now

What is his deadline? Can you pm me if you haven't found a home for him? I may be able to help spread the word about him.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsealaurenmurphy View Post
    oh my bad, didn't see the edit in the original post. that's so great to hear i want him sooo bad! i just can't afford it haha. you should post more pics since he seems to be a bit more comfy now
    I can't believe it.. I've had some bad luck with horses and I was sure he had broken something or ripped something.. talk about best case scenario!

His cornet band is still being wrapped from where the abscess blew out so as soon as that looks better I post some better pics.

Deadline: I think the BO has convinced the old owner to just leave him alone and specifically told her not to take him to NH.

Everyone at the barn is chipping in for his care but obviously board will be due soon and none of us can really afford to keep him so i'm trying to place him as soon as possible.

Where in SEPA is this boy located? Where did he last race?
    "Don't make me go all chestnut mare on you"!

sent you a pm
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

how much does it cost to board him there? and how tall is he and whats his name?

Mr Grey Horse currently has an adoption pending with a wonderful family!

thanks again COTH!