5yo Grey OTTB Gelding in SE PA *added pics* SOUND!
YAY! Vet came out today and dug out a wicked bad abscess that popped out his cornet band He feels SO much better and besides the fact that it is wrapped is walking well again. Vet said it was def. the abscess not his stifle as we orginally thought and he should be fine to go back to riding!
Wound has healed well since photos were taken (3 or 4 days ago) but his feet do bother him. Farrier is coming out this weekend. He's ouchy and footsore but has no qualms trotting and cantering in the field with his buddies.
I was told he has ossolets in his left front (the same one with the wound on it) but I don't have x-rays to back that up.
None of his joints or tendons are soft or hot.
I also did get his papers and current coggins.
He's a sweet boy and takes any task I ask of him with stride.
My sister has been working with him a lot and he's a great horse to be around. His front end is sound but he seems to have slipped his stifle which is causing him some discomfort behind. Owner was shown this and said he just needed to walk it off which hasn't been the case yet so we're doing our best to make him comfortable.
His feet are actually in good shape after his trim and he's slowly putting on weight.
I was hoping for a local home (just so I have some idea that he'll end up in a good place) but if anyone thinks they might be able to home him i'd be willing. He's super calm and would make a great babysitter and once sound he's not spooky or scared of anything on trails (my sister was able to walk him around the trails before he slipped his stifle and she is a very timid rider and was totally confidant.)
Last edited by 2LaZ2race; Sep. 22, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
Hey Guys... I've been doing my very bestest to find this horse a home. My sister was trying to keep him but he just isn't sound enough for what she wants to do right now. Obviously being so fresh off the track he could just need time but she doesn't really want to risk that
He seems to have slipped his stifle and is a bit sore on it. I am doing a round of antibiotics (for the wound even though it's healing very nicely) and bute and his feet are being taken care of and we're doing our best to put weight on him.
If anyone knows of someone in need of a companion horse or is looking for a big project he's kind, willing and a pleasure to be around.
in response to your other reply (though it'd be better to reply here, since the other one was about supps lol
Originally Posted by 2LaZ2race
We're doing our best... I posted an update on the Giveaway forum cause he is just still really sticky on that stifle. I'm not sure if he's going to be sound enough for what my sister wants and I feel bad saddling her with an unsound horse.
I already have a horse who can't be ridden that I'm going to provide a forever home for and she'd really like something she can actually ride.
Hopefully he'll either come sound-er or I can find someon who can give him more time or needs a companion horse.
I'm between a rock and a hard place for sure
that really does suck my ottb is still not quite up to 100% health. and its hard because i love jumping, and so does he. it's just i can rarely do it with him because i'm worried about putting him in pain. so i understand about wanting a sound-er horse. i wish i could take him. but that'd be my problem, too--wanting a sound horse lol. i've already decided my next horse will be a bit younger and un-raced. my boy's only 11, but he has a history with racing and HJ lol so his joints aren't the best. i really hope this boy finds a loving home that can give him all the time he needs. he's so gorgeous <3