The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation I Rode Benny Today!!!

I am SO excited!! I rode Benny for the first time this morning!!

He stood quietly to get tacked up with lots of squishy pads and full cheeck snaffle (I need to get a smaller bridle for him; he has a lil' nugget for his size!). I took him to the round pen and free lunged him for a few minuets expecting some wahoo and bucks, but no, just his normal behavior! So, I get a leg up into the tack and he just stands quietly.

So, I ask him to walk on; that took a few bumps to his sides and finaly he started moving out but very tenativly. After deciding I don't want to keep wacking at his sides I grabbed a stick and after a few taps he was walking forward!! Then it came time to ask him to trot a few strides. Tapa-tapa (that is our crop sound) tapa-tapa and off he trotted. It took a few minuets but he finaly began to relax and trot out, but when he did it was so nice! He is absolutly equitation material!

From this first ride I can see that he has had recent riders who hung on his face and it is going to take us a little while to get him to accept the bit and contact, but he moves out so soft and quiet and has a very good halt when you sit and breath I don't think it will take long since he will be able to have a nice break from anyone touching his face!

After this ride I am THAT much more curious about his past. But REALLY excited about his future!
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

Congradulations!! I don't recall the story behind this horse but it's great that you had a happy ride!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I'm so glad you had a great ride. Please tell us the story behind your horse!

These three threads are in Chornological order. They are the threads about Benny from start to now! Tnx for your interest. I am going to post new pictures of him soon.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=219561

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=220229

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=220664

What a great story--Benny is a beautiful boy and very lucky that you rescued him! I think you picked a winner!! I look forward to hearing about your progress with him!

Congrats! Hope you continue to have fun with him!
    Fire Girl Photography
    www.FireGirlPhotography.com

I think I am going to hop on him again this afternoon before supper! I will probably take him out of the round pen to the actual arena! We just can't work very long in there as the footing is deeper and I want to be very careful bringing him back.