The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse eating shavings-alot

My mare is in the same pen she's been in for 3 years, same neighbor horse, same food, same workload. Shes on about 1/4 acre with a 3 sided stall, the stall has 1 mat where her hay is thrown (fed 3x daily) and I keep shavings around the mat to keep her from eating off the dirt when she pushes the hay around. A month ago it seemed like the shavings went down pretty quickly, so I've been keeping an eye on it and not letting anyone add to what's in there. She has eaten 3 full bales of shavings completely gone in 2 weeks. Down to the dirt-not a shaving to be found. She is not colickly (she's pooping a TON!!). Her attitude in work hasn't changed, and it's the same brand of shavings I have always used. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop??? This is definately new behavior-she could have always been eating them, but not enough to notice. She also has a pile of shavings out in the field where she likes to sleep (and pee), and she is not eating those.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

bump
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

You could try spraying the shavings with soapy water. That got my guy from eating his straw. But beware, she'll find shavings that aren't sprayed. Maybe the shavings have changed in someway that she finds tasty?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

just stop putting shavings on the mat? eating a little dirt wont hurt her but she could get sick from eating shavings.

Don't use shavings...I don't any longer and its not been a problem...but then I have open stalls and they go out to pee and poo.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"