The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breastplates and No Slip Saddle Pads

I know this question has been much debated before but I'm hoping for a bit of clarity from the hunting community. I have an Appendix QH that is currently ridden in a regular breastplate (with elastic inserts) and a neoprene no-slip pad under his normal saddle pad. He has large shoulders and high withers so his saddle tends to slide back. I've been playing musical tack for some time now trying to establish the right balance of breast plate and no-slip saddle pad and no-slip girth. My system is much improved but he still gets sore occasionally from the breastplate being pulled too tight after a day of riding and the saddle sliding back (even with a no-slip girth and pad).

Once we begin hunting (our first season together) I am envisioning a sliding saddle that results in a too tight/pulling breastplate that makes him sore.

What type of breastplates, girths, or no-slip pads do you use on your hunt horses?

I use a standard hunting breastplate, with no ill effects, but my saddle doesn't slip around as much as yours seems to!

Maybe try one of the new-ish 5-point breastplates? They're attached to the saddle at 5 different spots, thus, in theory, spreading the load between all 5 points, which may be more comfortable and effective for you and your horse. You can find them fairly cheaply if you shop around, otherwise they're around $200.

Just a thought - have you had your saddle on your horse checked by a decent saddle-fitter? They might be able to help pinpoint the problem and fix it.

I hunt a high-withered quarter horse and use a breastplate with elastic. I am replacing it because the elastic has stretched and is yucky. We use a diamond wool fleece half pad under a regular pad and have no problems with it slipping or tightening over his withers. I also use a Fritz Theideman (sp?) pad with little grippies nubs under it and like it a lot - it has a felt center and distributes the heat well. It's felt or fleece all the way with me. The worst thing to slip are those huge fake fleece things.

I use a fleeceworks field hunter pad and a Bit of britain breast collar with no elastic. But I haven't had a problem with saddle slippage. Even with fat paint horses. Saddle is a Barnsby with real wool flocking.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I'm guessing if you look at your saddle, placed where you want it on your horse, the cantle is a good bit lower than the pommel. I think you and your horse would benefit from a riser pad or a saddle fitting/reflocking, depending on how bad it is.

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I should clarify that yes we have seen a saddle fitter and both my dressage and jumping saddles are deemed well fitting and balanced for our current stage of muscle and fitness. I'm sure that at some point in the not too distant future we will need to explore new jumping saddle territory but not right now.

Would a full sheepskin pad be more or less likely to slide than a fleece? Also, the five point breastplates are expensive--any sources that might have discounts or do you know of anyone looking to sell one?

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Fox View Post
    Thanks for the replies and ideas. I should clarify that yes we have seen a saddle fitter and both my dressage and jumping saddles are deemed well fitting and balanced for our current stage of muscle and fitness. I'm sure that at some point in the not too distant future we will need to explore new jumping saddle territory but not right now.

Would a full sheepskin pad be more or less likely to slide than a fleece? Also, the five point breastplates are expensive--any sources that might have discounts or do you know of anyone looking to sell one?

Did your saddle fitter assess you/horse/saddle together with the pads as well as just the saddle on the horse with no pads? Just a thought, as often a fitter fits the saddle with little or no pads, then the rider adds pads later, which would naturally alter the fit.

Secondly, search Ebay UK; as always, tack is often cheaper there. 5-point breastplates for +/-$50 plus p&p.