The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think you need to have the vet's phone number close at hand, and a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies for the vet (and his entire office) at Christmas. Congratulations on your new horse!

You can get ready-made horse first-aid kits. That might be a whole lot easier than trying to find everything yourself. Make sure you have a book on first aid, and read it through THOROUGHLY so you know what symptoms are and can recognize tjem. As much fun as horses are, they're AWFULLY accident-prone!!!

I can't really add anything to the list except a caution/admonishment to only use the peroxide one time on a wound, after that don't do it (unless of course your doc tells you specifically to use it more than once) it is a non-preferential tissue destroyer-in other words, it kills whatever cells get in its way, good or bad. Good for cleaning fresh wounds, bad for new healing tissue. I rarely use it, except to clean blood off of the hair coat after a procedure (gets the drips right off of white hair)

oh and

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

ETA: We like fudge. And Cougar Gold cheese. (just in case any of my clients are reading this )
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Congrats on your new horse! How exciting. This is quite a long list that everyone has put together. I don't think you need to get all of it. What I would suggest is to talk with your vet and ask him/her what he/she would like you to have on hand for an emergency so that either you can doctor the horse yourself or do something while you are waiting for the vet.

What *I* would consider essential are a thermometer, vetwrap, sheet cotton, gauze, triple anti-biotic...for wrapping wounds. I like to have some drugs on hand, like bute and SMZ, but again, talk to your vet. My tackroom cabinet if FULL of all sorts of stuff, most of which has been mentioned here. But talk with your vet about what they recommend to get started.

Here's a first aid kit with a whole lotta stuff in it. It's probably a little cheaper than piece-purchasing it out. I was going to post the kit from stateline, but luckily, it won't load. This one is better.

http://www.practikitplus.com/Our_First_Aid_Kit.html

Congratulations on your new horse!!! You'll have a blast.

I keep Benamine and Phenylbutazone Paste in the fridge, cut-heal, betadine wash, corona and swat - and the vet on speed dial. Other than that I buy as I need it otherwise it goes bad and I've wasted my money. If your lucky and your horse isn't accident prone you probably won't even need that. Plus, if your in a boarding stable someone will have what you need and you can replace theirs. Just like you'll be able to help someone else down the line so don't fret. I would keep a vet wrap handy - in your favorite color of course.

Save your money for things you will need immediately. There's always a store/drug store just around the corner.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Congrats on your new boy
    And good for you for looking ahead & stocking a First Aid kit

For around $10 you can get an equine digital thermometer from Stateline or Dover - this is better than using a people-type thermometer as it has a loop to attach a piece of twine to. You can then tie the twine directly into your horse's tail or onto a clip that you then clip onto the tail.
    Trust me you NEED this loop!
    The last thing you want to see is the north end of your thermometer disappearing up the south end of your horse!

If you don't want to inject bute or banamine, both are available in paste form with a script from your vet.
    I'm more comfortable not risking a needle abcess for these NSAIDs that generally don't require emergency dosing.
    They are effective given orally in 15-20min - in most cases this is plenty of time.

I use a powdered/flavored bute available from a company called Wickliffe's in KY. My vet phones or faxes the script to them, then I call for refills.

I go through a lot of 4X4 gauze pads and cotton balls in treating cuts/scrapes, etc.
    Also Gamgee rolled cotton is great for wrapping legs.
    Newborn-size disposable diapers fit a foot nicely and you can hold them in place with that duct-tape.

A hint from another COTHer, MistyBlue: get those stick-on thermal pads for sore muscles. They work wonders for drawing an abcess, staying warm for 8 hours! Beats trying to keep a foot in a tub of warm water for more than 5 minutes
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

As long as everything matches your barn color.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Whaaaat??? No questions about your favorite style/composition for lead rope?

I put my stuff in those freezer proof plastic containers where all 4 edges of the top come off and seal with a rubber o ring type of seal. They won't get damaged in heat/cold/rain and keeps the items in side clean and easily visible.
    I keep my grooming brushes in a small bucket with the fabric sealable top (you can get from Smart Pak - if you board and are worried, you can get your name or horse's name on it). Easy to lug around, easy to keep clean.
    You also need some containers for treats. Just saying.

CONGRATS!!! But now you have to change your screen name!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Ummm, how about a digital camera so we can actually SEE your new boy, hmmmmm?

Congrats!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

What do you need?

EVERYTHING + THE TACK ROOM SINK! And a new leather halter and lead with your new horses name on it

For which you might want to try Quillin's....

Plus the Lettia saddle pads...sure you can get the funky monkey or whales ones, but when you can get the skull and crossbones...maybe you should get them all.
    www.specialhorses.org

I like Alushield for little wounds. I liken it to liquid bandaids.

Put your vet/farrier/barn numbers on your cell phone. Also keep them in your first aid kit.

I have a human sewing kit that I keep at the barn. It's come in really handy when I've ripped my breeches. I've also fixed minor tears in blankets--so much easier than remembering to take it home.

AND KEEP A SPARE CAR KEY IN YOUR TACK TRUNK.

Just saying.
    www.specialhorses.org

I didn't see anyone mention.... Horse treats!!!

Congrats on the new horse!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    AND KEEP A SPARE CAR KEY IN YOUR TACK TRUNK.

Just saying.
    AND USE A COMBO LOCK ON SAID TACK TRUNK!!!!!

Um...not that I am speaking from experience here or anything *looks over shoulder hoping no one who knows her is around* But it could be REALLY embarasing if you happened to lock your keys in your car, remember you have a spare key in you tack trunk and then realize the key for your tack trunk is locked in your car......
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

This is a stupid one, but an extra halter and a couple extra ropes.

A few extra hoofpicks, lots of towels, sponges (sterile ones), pen and paper to write anything down (temp, pulse, etc).
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by blazn View Post
    I think you need to have the vet's phone number close at hand, and a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies for the vet (and his entire office) at Christmas. Congratulations on your new horse!
    Better yet - in your phone contacts. That and your farrier's number. And your trainer's. Mine is on speed dial

ETA - I also keep my various combinations to locks (all are combination so I don't have to mess with keys) in a note in my phone as well.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Animalintex, Hibitane and Betadine are essentials for me. Along with towels, diapers, thermometer, duct tape, vet wrap, syringes...

Congratulations!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."