The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arrow Clothes clutter - how do you keep your room neat? Very HR!

For those of you who have horses at home especially, how do you keep it all organized?
    I have "feeding/mucking clothes" that I usually wear in the am when it is still chilly, then I might change into riding clothes and ride a couple of horses. If it gets hot, I switch to shorts and tank top to do a few barn chores, I might go work another horse later - another change of clothes...
    All those clothes don't usually get dirty enough to warrant immediate washing, yet they are no longer nice and fresh, so I would not put them back in the closet. What happens is that they usually end up on the floor of the bedroom in a messy pile and I want to try to fix that. Any ideas?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

In my room is a set of plastic sliding drawers one on top of another like a chest of drawers. I use mine for paperwork. You could find something like it and put riding clothes in one drawer, shorts/tops in another, warm clothes in a 3rd. You could keep it at the barn or in your room. Walmart has them but I dunno if their out your way or not.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I fold mine and leave them on my blanket box.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I need to live at the barn so I can learn how to keep my living space neat.

If you figure it out, please let me know.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

Well, we do have a little of the same problem. There are clothes hooks in the laundry/mud room as well as a chair to drape things on, and more clothes hooks (one of those over the door jobs) in the master bath. We also have a "garden tub" which gets a fair amount of stuff hanging over the edge of it, and during chigger season is where we change out of anything that might be infested. If you have room a ladderback chair with the knobs will serve nicely as an interim storage spot, rather than the floor.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I keep a whole passle of baskets in my room(s). Obviously dirty non horsey laundry goes in one, horse and vehicle dirty clothes in another, re wearable but used items in a third, and there is usually at LEAST one basket of clean clothes too. Actually got one of those big rubber buckets - the semi soft ones, for the re wearable clothes. Works as well as a laundry basket IMO.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I keep a milk crate/box in closet for outdoor clothes that are still wearable but not shiny clean anymore.... keeps everything in its place.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

What is this neatness concept of which you speak??????

I have one of those under the bed "tupperware" type storage containers for barn clothes. I really try to keep barn clothes separate from clothes for the rest of my life. I have resigned myself to the fact that, between the 3 cats and the horses, my clothes will never be free of furry animal hair. Even the special occasion clothes kept in my walk-in closet, where no cats are allowed, somehow manage to pick up hair.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Neat? NEAT?? Horsepeople are supposed to be neat?

Who'd a thunk it?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Frank

Shhhhh! Its a secret....

OM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

You could utilize a closet in the house. A dresser or make one by stacking large plastic stack able drawers on top of one another.

Or get some plastic under bed storage boxes to put clothes in as well.

Well, I don't mind the piles of clothes so much as my husband does...
    I think extra hooks in the bathroom (or over the door) might help...

I have a closet for non-horse clothes and a tack closet where all my horse clothes are. I change in the tack closet. It has wire shelving in it and a row of hooks. Things that can be worn again, like breeches or a layer shirt, get put back on the wire shelves; if they're sweaty or really dirty I take them with me down to my regular closet and throw them in my laundry hampers.

Just buy some hooks and slap them on the wall.

I second the plastic "chests of drawers". I got mine at Target. Bought the biggest ones and stacked one on top of the other. I also bought a cloth laundry bin on a wooden rack that's foldable--got that at Walmart. The really dirty stuff goes in that till I find time to throw them in the washer. Shoes go in the closet in hanging shoe racks--they Velcro over the hanger rail. My boots have a special place in one corner of the closet.

I also bought really, really cute stackable bookshelves at Cost Plus World Market and put my books and other things on them. My room's now so tidy I hardly recognize it!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

The way our house is set up, I go to/from the barn via the garage, which means I pass the laundry room. I neatly fold the "OK for another round" barn clothes on a shelf in there. When they reach "filthy" status, they are tossed into the laundry basket.

During our hot & humid summers here, I am often tossing several changes of barn/riding/yardwork clothes directly into the basket every day and the shelf for the still-wearable stuff goes largely unused!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Mine go on hooks in the bathroom or in a plastic bin. I have the nice over-the-door rack with six hooks on the outside of the door and a smaller one on the inside with three hooks, re-wearable clothes outside and anything else on the inside.

For storage of off season clothes I love Space Bags. I can still see whats in them and put stuff for fall where its easy to grab the hoodies when it starts to get chilly.

I have a cedar chest in the bedroom, and all the still wearable stuff gets tossed on top of that. Of course, you could be neater than me and actually fold them or something...
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/