The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Enable/discourage me: Ariat half chaps

Any experience with the Ariat crown pro half-chaps? I am hovering over the "order" button, because they're my size and on sale and who couldn't use another pair of nice leather half chaps, right?

But my Ariat paddock boots came with a sticky zipper that still only goes halfway up... so I'm a little leery of how well their zippers hold up. Anyone who has a pair, how have your zippers been? Enablers are welcome.

My zipper fell off after about five uses so I took them back and got another pair that I have had for over five years now. I guess its just luck of the draw but they do give a one year warranty.

I had some Ariat close contacts that lasted not quite 2 years. In the end it wasn't the zipper that did them in, but rather the inner seam, I plain 'ol went through the leather. That being said where are they on sale? I need some new half chaps!

I LOVE Ariat half chaps. Refuse to get another kind. They fit me like customs! And they always hold up for years and years...the only reason I had to replace my last pair was b/c my house burned down!
    Katie

Mine have held up extremely well except for the snaps... Those pooped out after a few months, but they're totally unnecessary and it's not that noticeable. But the zippers are still great! (Can't say the same for my Ariat paddock boots though, haha.) I have quite a few friends that also swear by their Ariat half chaps, so if they're on sale, go for it.

Thanks, consider me enabled. (:

Bit of Britain has them in the tent sale for $49. Only a few very small sizes--XXSmall, XS-medium or something like that, and small-extra tall.

I have ariat half chaps- zippers broke in no time... I had a local repair person replace - cost $25-$30....one just broke after 3-4 years of hard use. Will be fixed for $25 (including shipping). The leather is still very nice.

If they are $49 factor in another $40 for new zippers- and you still have a good deal on a chap made from nice leather.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Thanks, consider me enabled. (:

Bit of Britain has them in the tent sale for $49. Only a few very small sizes--XXSmall, XS-medium or something like that, and small-extra tall.
    Why is it always the tiny sizes on sale . You would think that there weren't that many 6 footers around, but apparently there are more of us then I thought and we always sell out of our size.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Why is it always the tiny sizes on sale . You would think that there weren't that many 6 footers around, but apparently there are more of us then I thought and we always sell out of our size.
    Raising hand....my fault. I ordered the one pair of mediums yesterday.

I've had a pair of those for years and love them... those along w/ another pair of Ariat half chaps - can't remember the name off-hand but the ones w/ completely suede and not smooth leather.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I used to be an Ariat fan, but no more.

I had a pair of the old suede ones (all arounds?) hold up for 6+ years, but when I replaced them with a pair of close contacts, I was extremely disappointed. The top snap broke after about 8 months, then the zipper on the other half chap went a few months later. I suppose I could have replaced both the snap and the zipper, but I was so fed up I went and bought a new pair of Tredsteps, which are holding up quite well.

My ariat half chaps have lasted for years, but the snaps went bad early on. the zippers have never been a problem

I'm hoping I'll get the odd duck pair with good zippers and good snaps. It's frustrating to me that of my three current pairs of half chaps, my two cheap pairs have held up perfectly with no problems. My Tredsteps, which I otherwise love, have snaps that stick and I really need to get around to WD-40ing them in hopes that they won't go, because I've heard that Tredstep snaps rip out easily. And from this thread, Ariats seem to constantly have problems with zippers and snaps.

Same thing with my paddock boots; I spent more money on Ariats this year and they came with the bad zipper, whereas I've never had a cheap pair with zipper problems. It's bad when a company makes a name for itself, like Tredstep or Ariat, and then charges more for frequently shoddy work. When they actually do it right, it's worth the money... but it's a crapshoot.

I've had good luck with both Ariat paddocks and half chaps. My first pairs of both lasted about 8 years!! I replaced the old paddock boots with the newer XR's and they aren't holding up as well (been 2 years). I replaced the old classic half chaps with the new classic half chaps and they are holding up well. I don't know about the Crown and close contact, though. Both are full leather. My paddocks are laces, but I haven't had any trouble with the zippers on my half chaps. If they are available in your size, go for it!

I've had good luck with all of my ariat products. I finally gave up on my half chaps this past spring, they are about 5 years old and got almost daily use. Mainly because I'd worn through most of the stitching on the calf and I lost a bunch of weight.. so they were also loose lol. Other than that they were still good. The buttons at the bottom broke at some point along the way but the zippers are still good. I'm currently using Dublin ones from my friend. I got a new pair of Ariat All around II, but they are medium (what my old ones were) and they fit but I know when they stretch they're gonna be a bit big so... yeah really need smalls now. If anyone is looking for mediums let me know lol. They've never been used, except trying them on and are still in the package. I get new ariat paddocks boots about every two years or so.