The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone here use Keratex products?

Any feed back would be great.

I took the time to scroll through all 46 pages of the Dover clearance items yesterday and came across Keratex hoof putty.

So I googled.

The Dover clearance price is actually the same price that the direct company sells it for.
    Nice Dover, way to stay on top of things. (rolling eyes)

What do you say guys? Good stuff?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I have used their hoof hardener and Mud Shield Powder. The hoof stuff is good and I really like the Mud Shield. It's for horses susceptible to scratches, and it (purportedly) forms a barrier between the horse's skin and external yukkies. It really does help, even if I do look like a goon "powdering" my horse's ankles. At least it's not his bum!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

I use Keretex hoof hardener liquid on my draft mare's hooves with good success as well as the Keretex hoof putty in the nooks and crannies and it has been working well too. The only draw back to the putty is it says to take some and roll it around in your hand to get it pliable and warm...uh not going to happen as that stuff is STICKY!! So I grab a gob of it on my finger that I need then go to work forming it into the hole or crack or whatever it is I am using it for.

Ya shoulda just done a search. I've used the hoof hardener with good success, never even heard of the putty, though.

Default Love it

I've had great success on both shod and barefoot horses. Know quite a few farriers who swear it is the only thing that really works.

I've been using the Hoof Gel for many years now.
    I love it much better then the Hoof Hardener.
    My horse's feet are hard as rock year round. I'd feel lost without it .

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysauntie View Post
    I have used their hoof hardener and Mud Shield Powder. The hoof stuff is good and I really like the Mud Shield. It's for horses susceptible to scratches, and it (purportedly) forms a barrier between the horse's skin and external yukkies. It really does help, even if I do look like a goon "powdering" my horse's ankles. At least it's not his bum!
    We use desitin... or gold bond medicated powder on legs to help "stuff" from growing lol. Luckily my current horse doesn't seem to get it... miracle as far as I'm concerned. But usually they get powdered up to their knees. Have had a "special" horse freak out at his legs when he noticed them powdered... sadly he already had white socks. I didn't get to witness but seemingly he flew backwards looking down lol. I use the Hoof hardener.. also have the gel. Works well for us here in the swamp.

Don't know about the hoof putty, but the gel is my friend....my farrier even waits 'til I put it on before he lets me turn my horse out...

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

keratex is a great line of products. they have their own website and i have found that buying direct from Keratex is the best price.

I have to put in a vote for the Hardener over the Gel. I thought the gel was tougher to apply and it smelled really strong...

I use the Hardener on Taco. I buy it directly from the company website.

Great brand, love the stuff! The hoof putty is sticky and messy and kind of a pain to use, but worth the aggravation if you have a horse with a condition that benefits from continuing exposure to "medication." i.e. nasty thrush will respond to it better, imo, than a once daily squirt of liquid.

I've had years of outstanding results using the hardener. Definitely buy direct from the manufacturer; you will get the best price that way.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus