The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Speak to me of mixing boys and girls in turnout

I have 4 geldings. One was raised with a filly and lived 4 years with her with no problems.

I know people mix herds but I thought it is usually 1 gelding to more mares.

Is it possible, to mix a filly with 4 geldings?

Or is that just insane.

yeap-- i have done it serveral times at mo i have 3 mares and 7 geldings they all out together

Should be fine - just as usual introduce the filly to first one than another of the geldings til they're a herd.
    Sandy in Fla.

i have never had a problem with it. but the Filly being young, might not be able to hold her ground if the boys get rammy. just keep an eye out.

My gelding (now deceased) was with mostly mares most of his life...

There are certainly variations between horses as far as their herd adaptability, but in general, I have never seen cause to separate based on gender alone.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My TB mare Callie was so happy when it was she and 10 geldings.
    She always in herds paired off with a chestnut "bad boy" for protection.

My male horse, he hates the "G" word, always has a domineering mare take care of him, a 18.2 hand mare at one barn (who beat up all other geldings) and now a nice little 14.3 mare who bosses him around and protects him. Cloudy refused to buddy up with a nice buckskin gelding and a nice arab gelding at 2 different barns.

Depends on the horses. Some are just mean and cannot get along with any horses, geldings or mares. Herd dynamics are so different. My mare and gelding got along with each other, but in herds split up, well my mare dumped him, always for chestnuts.

Ahh good

She is little (if I got her) so she would grow up a bit with my mini donks.

I would pick one boy at a time and make sure it works...then do 2 with her and so on?

It has been YEARS since I even considered a girl but this one is REALLY tugging at me.

I owned her mama and traded her for my now 5yo. So I would be getting one of mama's girls.

She is SOoooooooooo girlie....

I can't even BELIEVE I am considering a girl.

Every time you add or subtract a horse, you change the herd dynamic and everyone starts over with the establishing of rank.

IMHO, if you have sufficient space, do it all at once and let them have one adjustment period.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My mares have been out with the following mixes:

1 gelding 3 mares
    1 gelding 1 mare (3 different combos)
    1 gelding 2 mares

Never done more than one gelding with the mares, but how they get along seems to depend a lot more on individual personalities than on gender.

L,
    I'd be more concerned about the age differences. Sometimes older horses will beat up younger ones. I saw that happen at one barn, and the filly first was nearly killed by a young but very mean gelding, and later the filly turned very mean also. (I had to go rescue the filly and get her out of the fencing she had run into while the BO cursed Then i had to catch the offending gelding)
    So if your boys are well behaved, all will be well, but if they start bullying her, separate them.

I do have 2 mini donks that have raised my other babies until they were old enough to be clever...that I am not worried about.

It is after the fact.

I can create 2 herds but the beauty of things now is I have a HUGE 'dry field' where the horses live by day and pastured by night.

If i can't mix, it would really change things up-not that change is bad-just thinking here.

My mare lived in a big mixed herd the first year I owned her. It was about 10 mares and 10 geldings, and all ages, yearling and up. As long as there is enough space, it usually works out just fine.

And with a filly, they seem to stand up for themselves better than colts do. My filly has been out with her mom, my gelding, and a friend's mare since she was 8 months old. Even with mom in a different pasture, the filly still stands up for herself. The gelding and other mare have just finally started to discipline her a bit, and she is 17 months.

I love my girls. I've always said people who don't like mares as much just haven't met the right mare.

My mare has always preferred geldings. She lives now with 2 geldings. She's the only mare, and loooooves all the attention she gets.

She totally runs the show and the 2 boys don't move unless she says go, and can't live if she's out of eyesight. They worship her like the queen she is.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

My gelding lives out 24/7 with 3 other geldings and a Haflinger mare. I'm satisfied with the arrangement. The boys are pretty easy-going and the little mare is boss. I often feel like I should be saying "mother may I" when I take my guy away from the herd.

My 3-horse herd is 2 geldings 1 mare.

The mare is the alpha, but one gelding a bossy boss He's always had an issue with "protecting" mares, and he will get that way sometimes. But for the most part, there are no issues, and when there are it's short-lived and not vicious.

It allllll depends on the individual horses.

When Rio was a yearling, he was out with a mare, a gelding, and a stud donkey. All was fine. From 2-5 1/2, he was with a mixed herd as well, and all was fine.

i've never had luck turning out just 1 mare or 1 gelding with a herd of the opposite sex..they become too attached/obcessed....but could just be the wacky horses at our farm

Default reitsport HA-100

i was able to get a bag 1/2 price so i thought i would give it a try... anyone here use it? how long before results, if any, are seen? thanks!

I tried doing 3 geldings with 1 mare and it was a mess

It didn't help that there were 2 very dominate geldings in the herd, one that was just an @ss in general.

My 2 geldings are in a mixed herd right now. It's them and 4 other mares so they each get two if they wanted but surprisingly they often go off on their own ( they're very open minded and progressive geldings )

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I do have 2 mini donks that have raised my other babies until they were old enough to be clever...that I am not worried about.

It is after the fact.

I can create 2 herds but the beauty of things now is I have a HUGE 'dry field' where the horses live by day and pastured by night.

If i can't mix, it would really change things up-not that change is bad-just thinking here.
    What does that mean.. that sentence in bold and italics? Does that mean you have a Girlie Horse to show us pictures of?!!!!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Ummm...whoa. My fingers went a little wrong there.

I *think* I meant to say I would be mixing the heard after 'that?'

Not a clue!