The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default More chicken cruelty

There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

or have your own small laying flock and brood your own chicks... It's called Animal Husbandry.

btw??? what the hilary does this even have to do with life around the farm or horses? sounds more like propaganda to me...
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

You know, I just saw this earlier today. Mentioned it to my BO, as she maintains a herd of beef cows, a herd of sheep, and a flock of laying chickens. She wasn't aware of this either, but she did ask why there were chicks being born? If the purpose of these chickens is to produce eggs for human consumption, then how are they getting fertilized and allowed to become hatched chicks?

I think I will start buying her free range chicken eggs. She charges me the same as what I pay at the "Eagle".

They are being born to lay more eggs.

And that's the reason I have my own chickens. They are spoiled to no end and the eggs they produce are wonderful. They came from a local farm and while I'm sure not all of their practices are good, the hens I got will always have a wonderful home. It's a sad world sometimes.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    btw??? what the hilary does this even have to do with life around the farm or horses? sounds more like propaganda to me...
    Ditto
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    I would not even look at something posted by those rabid animal rights groups.
    You know they are going to take something that may or not be real and give it their own spin to get more donations.
    You may not realize this, but some day they will do the same with what you do with your horses.
    Anyone can find some reason you are abusing them, in ther eyes.
    I would not give such people the time of the day.

Maybe this is not the best use of bandwidth on a horse forum, or leave it for an OT day?

Well I will always eat chicken and eggs. But the idea of new born chicks being crushed alive in a grinder, just does not sit right with me. OTOH I am not familiar with large scale chicken farming here-are there other ways to put down those chicks apart from grinding them alive? What do other big farms do???

If people have a problem with the egg producing industry killing the male chicks there is a solution...stop buying eggs produced by the big factory egg producers. When you buy those cheap, factory raised eggs YOU are supporting the practices of those factories, including the ones that are less than humane.

Buy your eggs from backyard farmers. If there is reduced demand for factory eggs, there will be reduced demand for laying hens and ultimately, fewer males killed.

I raise my own chickens for eggs and meat. We eat the roosters. I have three roosters that are my breeding stock roosters, the males that are hatched are raised to broiler weight and butchered for my freezer.
    Last edited by BramblewoodAcres; Sep. 2, 2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: clarification

I suppose this video doesn't really surprise me.

Since I buy baby chicks, and you can get either straight run or sexed, I always wondered what happened to the males, if these hatcheries sell the females. Now I know.

I watch these videos, and think that they are important. People need to know where and how their food comes to them.
    Today, most people buy a package or a frozen package of their 'food'.

I am not so worried about these groups coming after me, but support their undercover activities to bring testimony to the public, to hopefully put pressure on the industry to be more humane.

Afterall, why do you think Temple Grandin is hired by McD and KFC...to ensure slaughter is as stress free as possible to appease the public.
    If we didn't have this kind of testimony and pressure, we'd all happily be munching on our food, never thinking of the thanks and gratitude to the animal for giving us this food as well as demanding humane methods to slaughter.

I appreciate their work, and the risk they take to expose inhumane conditions.

Oh, and I bet the macerated male chicks are what we see in labels as chicken by product. yum

I disagree...factory laying hens never see a rooster in their life to produce eggs!
    These chicks are purposely produced to sell to the factories(who need hens) as well as to small farmers who want hens to produce eggs.

Back in the day, the males would be raised and slaughtered for their meat. Not today...easier to macerate them as these hatcheries do and sell their meat as a by product.

I do agree with more and more people not producing their own food, we see increased factory farming methods.
    But, hatcheries are in business to sell baby female chicks, not eggs.

I'm sure the notion of chicks being tossed into a machine like that seems horrendous.

But it is a quick death - though I'd support any research or studies that would improve any method of killing an animal.

When the USDA depopulates a flock (due to an outbreak of disease), all the animals are tossed into woodchippers. Alive. Seems odd because I'd think that would result in a lot of spray which might spread disease. But hey - can't argue with the USDA. Killing animals in large numbers is just going to be ugly no matter how humane it is.

Anyway - I'm a hypocrite because I order straight run and eat the males. I raise them free range and then kill them in my backyard. Out of sight of "investigators" or out of reach of any animal welfare controls mandated by government. At least with a large facility there are some controls, some checks and balances. The "backyard" may not be innocent of cruelty either. The public just doesn't see it. So.... hypocrites can't point fingers so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    I disagree...factory laying hens never see a rooster in their life to produce eggs!
    These chicks are purposely produced to sell to the factories(who need hens) as well as to small farmers who want hens to produce eggs.

Back in the day, the males would be raised and slaughtered for their meat. Not today...easier to macerate them as these hatcheries do and sell their meat as a by product.

I do agree with more and more people not producing their own food, we see increased factory farming methods.
    But, hatcheries are in business to sell baby female chicks, not eggs.
    It always cracks me up when I hear people say hens NEED roosters to lay eggs. They are actually much happier without the roosters around and lay better when they aren't constantly harassed by an over-zealous rooster.

You are right, the hatcheries produce hens for egg production, but many of those hatcheries are OWNED by the egg producing factories to produce those hens. People who are disgusted by the way the male chicks become"chicken by-product" would most likely be just as disgusted by the way the chicken they buy at the grocery store goes from animal to neatly packaged meat product. It's not always humane.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I'm sure the notion of chicks being tossed into a machine like that seems horrendous.

But it is a quick death - though I'd support any research or studies that would improve any method of killing an animal.

When the USDA depopulates a flock (due to an outbreak of disease), all the animals are tossed into woodchippers. Alive. Seems odd because I'd think that would result in a lot of spray which might spread disease. But hey - can't argue with the USDA. Killing animals in large numbers is just going to be ugly no matter how humane it is.

Anyway - I'm a hypocrite because I order straight run and eat the males. I raise them free range and then kill them in my backyard. Out of sight of "investigators" or out of reach of any animal welfare controls mandated by government. At least with a large facility there are some controls, some checks and balances. The "backyard" may not be innocent of cruelty either. The public just doesn't see it. So.... hypocrites can't point fingers so I won't.
    That is very true. I know when we had foot and mouth over here, the stories and pictures shown were not nice.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I already buy local eggs. Wow..that is revolting and sickening to see those little chicks just thrown into a grinder alive. Granted they have no idea what fate awaits them and their suffering is short but... My God...what a callous disregard for life and the ending of it and the welfare of those chicks. Surely adding one step in the process to stun them so they don't feel pain/fear before being ground up would not hurt their damn profit margins all that much?

Quote Originally Posted by BramblewoodAcres View Post
    If people have a problem with the egg producing industry killing the male chicks there is a solution...stop buying eggs produced by the big factory egg producers. When you buy those cheap, factory raised eggs YOU are supporting the practices of those factories, including the ones that are less than humane.

Buy your eggs from backyard farmers. If there is reduced demand for factory eggs, there will be reduced demand for laying hens and ultimately, fewer males killed.

I raise my own chickens for eggs and meat. We eat the roosters. I have three roosters that are my breeding stock roosters, the males that are hatched are raised to broiler weight and butchered for my freezer.
    Ok, if we want to continue in this vein, maybe you ought to read this article and understand why we need factory farming, along with smaller farmers as they can produce, all of them, as we really can't feed today's millions without it all.
    This is about our food, but is also food for your brain:

http://www.american.com/archive/2009...-intellectuals

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Ok, if we want to continue in this vein, maybe you ought to read this article and understand why we need factory farming, along with smaller farmers as they can produce, all of them, as we really can't feed today's millions without it all.
    This is about our food, but is also food for your brain:

http://www.american.com/archive/2009...-intellectuals
    What Bluey said This is a very well written article.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Wasn't there a thread on finding LOCAL farmers/produce? Instead of hand wringing about the inevitable cruelty, why not give resources to support those and help sustain those that are making positive changes?

Better to light a single candle than to cry in the dark.
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

Okay I'm gonna clarify while Male chicks are desposed of. They can not be used as meat birds because the egg laying type and the meat bird are of completely different genetics. It would not be worth pumping corn into a laying bird because the do not deposit muscle or fat the way a meat bird would. It is a waste of money.

Secondly they are not used to breed because, the genetics for the laying birds is a completely different industry then that of the egg layers, and is known as the purebred industry. Roosters are specifically bred to pass on certain genes to the birds, these genetics come from years and years and generations and genrations of selecting for specific genes (such as number of eggs layed in a year). They select the best hens and best roosters to produce a top quality roosters. These roosters are bred to everyday hens. So the gene pool of the baby boy chicks is esentailly tainted with regular chicken genes. The females produced are also less that optimum quality but with each generation they get better. Your are going to waste generations of males when you have already developed what you believe quality in the Purebred sector.

In the animal instrusty is believed that the way you change a breed is though changing the genetics of your male. Subpar males are disposed of because they offer nothing to the species.

Straight from the animal science students mouth....

So if you dont disposed of them... what do you do with the millions of male laying chickens?
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

eatwild.com

http://www.buylocalvirginia.org/

But please talk with the individual farmer and even stop by and see what they do. A lot of this stuff sounds all peachy keen, rosy and many folks have visions of happy animals frolicking in verdant pastures.

I kill my chickens more humanely than the guy up the road - he ties them to a chain link fence and kills them right in front of each other. But he kills enough to make the hefty insurance premium worthwhile. I said the heck with that and just slaughter for home use. (perfectly legal - but his operation is perfectly legal too)

Just sayin' -don't be so sure things are rosy on the other end of the spectrum.

Like - the person you buy your eggs from - if she buys female chicks from a hatchery - that hatchery is tossing unwanted males in the same machine.

Also, please understand that a lot of this is driven by consumer demand. The OLD way of doing things was to raise livestock suited to your environment, and with qualities favored by people. A utility breed. Animals raised to do well with what was available locally, produced a hide/hair suited to its environment, etc.

BUT - here's the rub. Those breeds aren't what folks want nowadays. People want big juicy tender chicken breasts. They want dark meat the isn't rubbery.

Basically - we want a pig that is made entirely out of bacon, a steer made entirely out of NY strip, a chicken made entirely out of white meat.

Folks - it doesn't work that way. I've had that conversation with customers. "Why don't I get more (insert name of cut)? Answer - because the animal isn't made out of (insert name of cut). Reply - well - I want more (insert name of cut). Me - can't do it. So they go back to the grocery store - where they can buy all the NY strip they want.

Same with eggs. Everyone wants big gigantic eggs - all the same size and that never look different. same same same.

chickens don't do that. Not naturally. Egg size differs breed to breed, and there are variations in production based on the time of the year. Color and consistency will differ depending upon what the animal eats.

So - commercial production is geared towards - sameness, consistency, reliable product. Only way to get that is from species bred to produce that. Sameness.

Small scale production is geared towards - diversity. Difficult or impossible to get reliable, consistent product and it is much much more expensive.

You get that from using the breeds we used to use. Utility breeds.

So - the choice is yours. Not an easy choice - small scale production is very expensive.