The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! I spilled bleach on my breeches...

Well, my cat did...I was cleaning the bathroom and stupidly hadn't picked the laundry up off the floor. Cat knocked over the bleach onto a bathroom rug and my super comfy schooling breeches. They're tan. Now they have a very noticeable white stain (about the size of 2 hands). I washed them with bleach but it didn't change anything. What do I do?? lol. I was thinking maybe I could just make them white, but I'm very reluctant to just dunk them in straight bleach...I'm scared it'll ruin the fibers or stitching. Any experience with this? I can obviously still ride in them as they are still functional but I would like to do w/e I can to get them one color at least

Thanks in advance guys.
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Horse View Post
    Well, my cat did...I was cleaning the bathroom and stupidly hadn't picked the laundry up off the floor. Cat knocked over the bleach onto a bathroom rug and my super comfy schooling breeches. They're tan. Now they have a very noticeable white stain (about the size of 2 hands). I washed them with bleach but it didn't change anything. What do I do?? lol. I was thinking maybe I could just make them white, but I'm very reluctant to just dunk them in straight bleach...I'm scared it'll ruin the fibers or stitching. Any experience with this? I can obviously still ride in them as they are still functional but I would like to do w/e I can to get them one color at least

Thanks in advance guys.
    Possibly try dyeing them a dark color? I think there was a thread on that recently. Black or midnight blue seemed to work best. I'll see if I can find the thread.

ETA: Here it is:
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...dying+breeches

I doubt bleaching would work, as it won't evenly remove the dye. And also, I think bleaching that heavily would weaken the fibers

Definitely try dying if you just aren't the type to wear them with the bleach stain!

You could try color remover. It's not bleach but it removes the color. There's RIT color remover and there's OxyClean or something else I've forgotten the name of that removes the color.

If you dye them, try navy blue or black or a very dark brown.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Tye-dye them and start a new fashion trend...

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Tye-dye them and start a new fashion trend...
    Glue sparkles on them too...
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Thanks guys! I think I will try that color stripper, then dye them something like navy blue or chocolate brown. I'm kind of excited now, actually. Thanks!
    Katie

I did the same thing to my favorite Trainer's Choice breeches - the only style that really fits my "mature" body well. They were beige and now have pinky-white patches all over them. In the other thread about dyeing stuff, a number of posters mentioned using "dylon" dyes which you can get in craft stores. They also suggested using a very dark color, navy or dark brown, and doubling the amount of dye that is recommended on the package. I'm going to give it a try and hope I can make my breeches look a bit better (although I'm still wearing them, patches and all!)