The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Owner of Horse Rescue Severely injured by drunk driver; needs your help

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=316759

The summary is, Marlyss Barnick is a surgical nurse at a local suburban hospital northwest of Chicago. She was driving to work at about 6:00 am, and was hit head on by a drunk driver. The drunk driver was uninjured, and uninsured. Marlyss suffered extensive severe injuries, and ultimately had a foot amputated this week.

Her paycheck had primarily been used to pay for the feed for the animals they take into their rescue. They already had to hire a couple to help feed the animals as needed - her husband has been trying to stay with Marlyss, go to work, and take care of the animals. They have 12 horses and a donkey, aged 16 to 36, and a host of dogs, cats, and other animals on 35 acres in Harvard, IL.

I've contacted the feed store they have been using for years. They have agreed to accept donations - monetary or specifically feed - for the Bartnicks. Their number is:

Woodstock Farm & Yard Supply
    815-338-4200

If you are local, they also have a donation box.

I believe people can also donate via paypal using an email - which is:

marlyss.bartnick.fund@gmail.com

This is all in the initial stages of trying to help her - so if something doesn't work, or the feedstore is a little confused, or if you have other ideas that you think may help - please IM or reply to this post.

Thanks so much.

Kelly (Pokey)

Thank you for posting this. I missed this news. I board in Woodstock, will stop by and drop some funds in the box at Woodstock Farm & Garden.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

thank you johnnysauntie.

Good grief! I hope she recovers, luckily she is a surgical nurse and must have medical insurance.

Some states, such as GA, have a provision for some $ for people who are injured by uninsured motorists. Someone needs to check with the Illinois state insurance commissioner.

Also the nurse needs to make sure that the drunk driver is prosecuted (too many drunk driving cases are "fixed") and that the drunk driver is ordered to pay restitution to the victim thru the court system/probation department. Yes they can get the money from him if he works.

I was hit by a drunk driver at 7am one morning on my way to work. The student scored .22 on his blood test. And the judge in traffic court and the solicitor there told me that they "take care" of all GA Tech students' DUIs there. Not that one they didn't. Fortunately neither I nor my boyfriend were hurt, and I ran down the drunk with the help of an Atlanta cop.

I'll send a donation, does she have a rescue paypal account?

And, if Illinois is like GA, she needs to get a civil judgment against the drunk, because in some states it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, and therefore if the drunk every inherits or wins the lotto, she can levy on everything.

Isn't that nice that they take care of the students but don't take care of the residents?

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Good grief! I hope she recovers, luckily she is a surgical nurse and must have medical insurance.

Some states, such as GA, have a provision for some $ for people who are injured by uninsured motorists. Someone needs to check with the Illinois state insurance commissioner.

Also the nurse needs to make sure that the drunk driver is prosecuted (too many drunk driving cases are "fixed") and that the drunk driver is ordered to pay restitution to the victim thru the court system/probation department. Yes they can get the money from him if he works.

I was hit by a drunk driver at 7am one morning on my way to work. The student scored .22 on his blood test. And the judge in traffic court and the solicitor there told me that they "take care" of all GA Tech students' DUIs there. Not that one they didn't. Fortunately neither I nor my boyfriend were hurt, and I ran down the drunk with the help of an Atlanta cop.

I'll send a donation, does she have a rescue paypal account?

And, if Illinois is like GA, she needs to get a civil judgment against the drunk, because in some states it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, and therefore if the drunk every inherits or wins the lotto, she can levy on everything.

cloudyandcallie - I would like to set up a paypal account for her - went I looked at it, it seemed like all that was needed was an email account. No? Is there more?

If I remember correctly, the coworker that informed us of the accident said the blood alcohol was 0.7 - pretty unreal.

Regarding the insurance - I haven't gotten the details as to the whys of it - but there are fundraisers for her medical bills. I'm not sure why insurance isn't kicking in - but I may have more info later.

I'm not sure if they'll try and keep all the horses or not, long term. I'm sure her and her husband aren't ready to think that far ahead, and will come to it when they need to. Right now, we aren't expecting her to return to work, so the finances may not be there to support it.

It's all just awful. And I really hope folks can chip in to help out.

How sad and horrible.

Jingles to her and her family, I hope we can all help them out.

Default Any Illinois folks able to help out?

I've seen this COTH board do so much before...although I suppose it's generally been for babies and horses...

Illinois folks, I know everyone is always asking for something - but if you can manage a drop in the bucket at the feedstore, it would be so appreciated.