The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ankle injury and stirrups?

7 weeks ago, I broke my fibula bone in ankle, and am hoping to be able to start riding again in a couple of weeks. Last night I jumped on for a little bit, as was going stir crazy but had to go without stirrups as my ankle doesn't flex at all still (well if I really try it goes about a mm) as is still quite swollen

That being said I would like to order stirrups for when I get back riding, as right now I only have the stirrups which came with my saddle so nothing special.

I am debating on the following four stirrups:

1) MDC Stainless Ultimate Stirrup - http://www.greenhawk.ca/cgi-local/So...7c7+1251827768

2) Royal Riders T3 Stirrup - http://www.greenhawk.ca/cgi-local/So...7c7+1251827768

3) Bow Balance Stirrups - http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/sb-produ...2&category=104

4) Herm Sprenger System 4F Flexi Stirrups with Offset Eye - http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,32.html

I am leaning towards the 4F flexi with offset eye right now as have heard great things about the regular 4F flexi and the offset eye I am hoping will make them even better. The Bow Balance I like what I hear about them...but can't stand how they look, but if I think they will be the best fit for my ankle then will suck up the look as I don't do hunters.

I would really appreciate any feedback from people who have used the above stirrups or who have gone through the process of trying to rehabilitate an ankle injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolie_ View Post
    7 weeks ago, I broke my fibula bone in ankle, and am hoping to be able to start riding again in a couple of weeks. Last night I jumped on for a little bit, as was going stir crazy but had to go without stirrups as my ankle doesn't flex at all still (well if I really try it goes about a mm) as is still quite swollen

I would really appreciate any feedback from people who have used the above stirrups or who have gone through the process of trying to rehabilitate an ankle injury.
    I can't help you with the stirrup suggestions, but if you can ride without stirrups do that. In the dark ages, I have competed without stirrups(hunter/jumper/equitation) when I have been recovering from a badly sprained ankle. I just used a black shoe and black knee socks.

Uh, and I pinned in all divisions as well.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I recommend starting physical therapy as soon as your doctor recommends it. I had to pick up marbles and other objects of various sizes and put them into a cup. That did wonders for my ankle flexibility. In the mean time, I took the flexible irons off of my saddle because they weren't as stable and when they would flex it would really hurt! I had a broken fibula on one leg and a broken navicular on the other.

I'm not sure it's the stirrup itself so much as the road to normalcy that's most important.
    I sprained my ankle very badly a number of years back and rode without stirrups for a few months, because my ankle simply wouldn't flex enough to get into a stirrup. I then rode with very long stirrups and shortened them gradually. I didn't have physio and that was a mistake. I would highly recommend going to someone for a really good exercise regimen to get your ankle to full recovery. Best of luck!

You may find flexible stirrups are worse for your poor ankle. If you are not going straight into the show ring, you might want to try endurance type stirrups from Easy Care. Please don't judge because they are not a normal english style stirrup. They give you a larger platform for support and if you opt for the safety cages you can wear whatever shoes/boots are the most comfy. They may get you back in the saddle sooner and more comfortably.

I have a bad ankle and I am gravitating more toward trail riding and possibly endurance. I have done hunters and dressage and just never got into showing. I'm happier out on the trail with my big, ugly stirrups and my fleece seatsaver, wearing whatever is comfy.

Good luck and happy healing!!

struggling with a sprained ankle myself and can totally relate to the stir-crazy feeling. I had been running regularly and can't stand that I'm losing all that conditioning. To at least keep my legs strong I'm doing leg lifts and any other exercise I can think of that does not require weight bearing or stress on my ankle.

Rode last night, just an easy hack for mental health, and i was an idiot and popped over a couple low jumps. Was amazed how bad my balance was--upper body kept tilting toward my bad ankle no matter how much I mentally focused on using my lower leg.

The others are right, the stirrup is not the problem, it's flexing your ankle. The swelling is telling you the ankle is not healed. Hie thee to a physical therapist who can guide you on what you can and can't do. For the non-horsey PT, maybe bring a picture of a typical leg position in the irons so s/he can visualize that goal and get you there as quickly as possible. Until then, continue the RICE routine to get the swelling down asap.

Thanks guys, I am in PT and have seen great improvement in the last week, gone from only moving the big toe to at least a couple degrees in movement.

I know this is a long shot but really really want to compete in one jumper show this year as I broke my ankle at the beginning of the summer, and in Canada or at least where I live we only have until the end of September really for show season....so want to show at the end of the month but I think I am starting to see that likely won't be happening Went out for a walk in my ski boot through the trails with my horse yesterday and that was fun so am trying to find other ways to not go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolie_ View Post
    Thanks guys, I am in PT and have seen great improvement in the last week, gone from only moving the big toe to at least a couple degrees in movement.

I know this is a long shot but really really want to compete in one jumper show this year as I broke my ankle at the beginning of the summer, and in Canada or at least where I live we only have until the end of September really for show season....so want to show at the end of the month but I think I am starting to see that likely won't be happening Went out for a walk in my ski boot through the trails with my horse yesterday and that was fun so am trying to find other ways to not go crazy.
    Jolie, there will be more shows next year, honest. Don't even attempt competing until you're 100%+ better.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default walking with horsie

I noticed something really funny--while taking my mare for a walk when I was still super-gimpy (and prob should not have been walking), my mare was mimicking me-- despite being completely sound, she was taking the same stutter-steps that I was. BIG left leg step, then tiny half step with right. Big left leg, tiny right leg step. It was really making me smile and feel teary-eyed at the same time. I heart that mare.