The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink 16.3+ Blind Diamont Hanoverian MSB Mare

Hi. I RECENTLY purchased a 13 yo MSB Hanoverian Mare (Diamont/Trapper lines) from what I believed was a respected breeder. I was told she had an injury to one eye but her other eye was fine. As I was just going to use her as a Broodmare (she is unbroken), I said fine. I bought her based on photographs, discussions with the owner and proof that she had already had 3 foals. Her last foal was about 3 years ago. Now she has arrived and cam ewith all vaccinations, but I called the vet out and got her teeth done. She is not eating more than 1-1/2 pounds per feeding (2x a day). I also recently learned through trial and error (walking in the stall and not stopping at the wall) that she is near the end of her vision in her other eye. I am struggling with the if I breed, how will she know where her foal is, will she step on it. I was given the suggestion of a bell, but if the foal is sleeping how will she hear it. Any thoughts, ideas, options, ANYTHING, etc. I have even had suggestions to get a goat and try her out that way. She is a great mom from what I understand but she could see then. I know I have a great mare (bloodlines) and super disposition very sweet so what now. I do talk to her often and try to remember she is not sighted but it is hard. Thanks for your assistance. Your thoughts are appreciated.

We had a blind mare for years. She raised many foals and never stepped on any of them. She was very good at "knowing" where the foal was. We did bell the foals because once they were older she would worry if the little stinkers "hid" from her. We used harness bells on a breakable strap around their necks. Harness bells are pretty loud so she could keep track of them easily. We did always keep her and her babies by themselves as she was pretty defensive towards the other horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wink Blind Hanoverian Mare

Hi Patty thanks for the information. Should I be concerned that she has not foaled in about 3 years. I hate to ask, but could would she forget? What about handling the foal after it is born, etc.

Thanks.

Not being cheeky. But most horses manage to deal with dark for over half of every day on days were the moon is not out or there is cloud cover. I think we underestimate their other senses. We have had some blind animals (not a horse) that were fine. The biggest thing was to keep their environment consistent. They seem able to hear or feel living things.

She sounds like a really nice mare, and I am glad she has a good home!

My understanding is that blind mares can adapt very well to motherhood when the foals are belled.

Regarding this mare's former owner, to be fair, she may very well have thought the other eye was fine. And depending on the cause of the blindness, it can come on fairly suddenly.

Lucky you getting a Diamont mare...not too many of them around anymore. Wonderful producers...

I agree with the others that she should be able to adapt just fine, but if you are concerned you may want to look into ET. Not the cheapest option but with a nice mare it might be worth it. Good luck with her.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Read the thread on my MATTIE. It should come up in a search. It will tell you a whole lot.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    My understanding is that blind mares can adapt very well to motherhood when the foals are belled.

Regarding this mare's former owner, to be fair, she may very well have thought the other eye was fine. And depending on the cause of the blindness, it can come on fairly suddenly.
    Agree that the previous owner may not have known. A blind animal that knows their environment well may not appear obviously blind until moved into unfamiliar surroundings.

I would be more worried about the fact that she hasn't had a foal in 3 years. Did you biopsy her before you purchased her?
    Liz
    Ainninn House Stud
    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Lucky you to get a Diamont/Trapper mare! FABULOUS combination and should produce very well for you. Like others have said, the blindness issue should be okay after she learns her new environment and you don't change things around on her.

Would love to know what stallion you decide to use and then see photos of the foals.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

A little smaller than a horse , but I had a cat once who apparently had been blind for almost a year before I realized something was wrong. My bad! I called her stupid for 'tripping' me a couple of times. My brother used to tease with, "How do you punish her now if she's bad? Rearrange the furniture???".

Animals adapt in ways we know nothing about.

Lots of horses adapt well, some don't. Sounds like a nice mare. Good luck with her.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

One of my breeders has a blind mare. She used a halter as a harness on the foal, and attached a device that clicked so mama could always know where he was. It worked super.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2001 Kim Wilson colt web.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	26456