The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reselling used fence boards and posts

I have a HUGE inventory of used 16' fence boards, stained black as well as half-round fence posts that I had removed when I built a new house and had to remove my old existing pasture.

All in good shape, BUT one would have to cut the ends of the boards off for the old nails, which would make the final board about 15'.

The posts are also stained and were the length for 4 board fencing and were pulled out of the ground (not cut).

Any market for me to resell them? If so, what would you ask for the boards and the posts?

Thought about putting them on craigslist, but I don't have a clue what to ask per board or per post.

Price out new lumber that is the same as what you have, and try to sell it for half the price of new.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I wish you weren't so far away, we're in the process of putting in new fences and would love to make a deal!! New 12' - 2"x6" 's are $6/each in NH - if that's any help...
    If you destroy the land, you destroy the animals;
    if you destroy the animals, you destroy the people.

Craigslist. We needed our barn demolished and most especially the tin roof gone to reduce the amount the excavator had to haul off. I put an ad on Craigslist, free barn siding and tin, and a guy (local fireman) came and removed the roof saving us probably $800-$1000 in expense. One he got the roof off he caved in what was left of the barn.

As always, use common sense w/ Craigslist. Many folks wanted good exterior barn wood. Ours was composite siding so not of any interest but I bet your farm fencing would draw a lot of interest.

Good luck!

For the going price in your area, search your CL to see if anybody else has done it and what they charged. DH buys used lumber all the time and we watch CL for any used farm stuff, lumber etc. Lots of other people do too - we've called too late on a couple things.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

sid -

You might call the WoodCrafts in your area.

Those oak fence boards are really terrific for woodworking projects. Woodworkers like the worm holes and spalting and whatnot for making reproduction furniture or other items.

Even painted - they might be worth more money than if you tried to sell them as fencing.

It's just a thought. Oak is expensive and though the boards are red oak, not white, and from pretty young trees.... well.... wood for projects is VERY expensive. Woodworkers covet old wood from barns and such.

the fencing is deffinatly sellable. We have purchased used posts in the past, and it was a good deal for both us and the seller.
    If you decide to sell, please contact me. We are looking to fence another pasture and have been on the lookout for affordable fence posts.

J

I have seen them any where from $1 - $3 per board/post as is must take all usually.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I bought a whole slew of fencing and two run in's off craigslist. Man bought a house with facilities he didn't need or want, and took the time to carefully dismantle them. We took about 10 trips in our wee 78 toyota truck over the course of 2 weeks. Of course now it's all in a pile in MY Backyard until we put it in... But anyway I highly reccomend selling it or buying it, if the wood is in good shape and can be deconstructed properly.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.