The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alpha Cat peeing in house

He pees on other people's clothes that they bring into the house. He went downstairs and peed on a peice of plastic covering the lawn mower, he pees on throw rugs on the back porch. Nothing remotely inside the house...... yet!

What is wrong with him? I think he has Terriotorial Anxiety Disorder... or a UTI? He's been with me since a baby, he is 2.5 now and has never done this before.

His 'brother' passed away a few months ago and I rescued another boy cat who is by far just a pansy cat. I don't know where the threat is with the Boy cat and the Alpha cat. I have two girls that have been there before the Alpha got there. He is so mean to them as of late.

He does not seem like he is straining to go to the bathroom in the litter box. *he does use the box consistantly* is just detourinig as of late. I am afraid he is going to start peeing whereever he pleases and I cannot have that! However, he is so friggen cute and what a love he will always live with me but dam kitty what is up with you!!!!!!!!!

Help my kitty someone!

He's upset. Please take him to the vet to rule out a UTI. You may find, like I did, that he's stressed out. My cat had to go on Valium for 10 days because of stress; there was no indication of UTI.

I had recently rescued a barn cat. She is absolutely no threat as far as I can see; she just sleeps all day and is never in his face. But he doesn't like her. He started staying at a neighbor's house (they were feeding him). But when I brought him home and kept him inside, he started peeing horizontal things in the house. That's when I took him to the vet.

Now that he's off Valium, I've got him on catnip as much as possible.

I didn't check with him first about bringing the girl home and, I'd guess, that you didn't check with your boy before bringing a new cat home, either! Cats can more easily deal with a dog than another cat!

Good luck to you.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Twilath- may I ask why catnip? My guy recently did the ten days of kitty antidepressant and was great for a couple of weeks, but just yesterday and this morning peed in the laundry hamper. I'm going to call our vet tomorrow, but would be interested to hear about the catnip.

Ozone- My guy is five years old and nothing really changed in our house, but he was diagnosed as having stress-induced urinary issues and treated as above. I guess it's pretty common, especially if new kitties are introduced, old kitties are lost, etc.

Hope yours gets used to New Kitty and chills out!

I know that my cat (10 yrs.) is susceptible to catnip (dope head!) and that it's easy to get. So far, it seems to be working. I'm letting him out again and he's coming home. So I guess the neighbors aren't feeding him anymore (thankfully). When he's interested in the catnip, he gets dopey and relaxed, although he's a fairly relaxed cat to begin with.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Innnteresting, thanks! My guy is pretty tightly wound by nature-- I've got some catnip in the fridge, though, so I may give it a try and see whether it winds him up more or smooths out the edges.

Glad your guy is doing better

Check for urinary problems as well as behavioral solutions--speaking from experience!
    Tinwhistle Farm

Thanks everyone. Last night he peed on a duffle bag that my husband brought in from his truck... This time I took Alpha Kitty over to it and showed him what he did, he looked unamused and went on with what he originally was doing - stalking his sisters!

I think I will call the vet now, just to rule out the UTI, as far as Anti Depressants go if my vet suggest Alpha goes on it, what is your experience with side effects, did you have to have your cat on it continuosly? And, really did it work? I have a 4 cat household... and kitty needs a fix quick! Thank you!!

Your vet's probably going to make a recommendation for something like Valium and do it for 10 days to see what happens. Always ask about possible side effects and repercussions. Long-term Valium use can cause liver problems.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Is there any other something's I can do other then anti-depressants for him? I lost Leo my kitty in April from Leukemia and even though I know he was going to pass away away I truly feel that Bayrol that I was injecting into him daily is what took his life sooner, or more so, his quality of life sooner. I am anti - drug now when it comes to my kitties.

Baytril is actually a really good drug. It simply may not have been the most appropriate drug for your cat's particular condition.

The most common cause for an alpha cat urinating, IME, is an intruder cat. That doesn't have to be your new cat, but is more likely a feral male outside the house. The fact that he is urinating on things outside that are easily marked (outdoor carpet, plastic on the lawnmower) is a dead giveaway. The objects that were brought in (people's clothes, your husband's duffle bag) likely smell faintly of another cat. He is probably hypersensitive to that smell because of the intruder cat outside.

I'd set a humane trap for the outside cat and see what you catch. You can also set up motion-activated sprinklers that go off when a cat comes up to the windows (of course, as it sounds like your cat is indoor/outdoor, it will likely get him as well!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Feliway. Get diffusers and keep them filled. I would do the feliway before starting antidepressants, as most of them are desigined to be used long term for best results. The 10 days of valium is a new one for me, I've usually heard amitryptlline reccomended.

And add at least one more litterbox to what you already have, have some covered some open.

Rule out a UTI

Katherine
    Vet Tech

My 5 year old male kitty did the same thing. I took him to the vet to rule out a UTI, etc. Vet felt it was territorial marking and urged me to put a little box in every place my cat was spraying. He also said I needed to have 1 box for each cat, plus one extra (I have three cats so put out 5 boxes to be safe). A covered cat box. Also kept everything picked up off the floor that I could. This seemed to help, the cat started "marking" inside the covered cat box.