The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Things that annoy you in Horse Sale Ads...

Other than lacking information!!

As I'm bored and sick and poking around Craigs list I come across about 4 different ads for TB's for sale. The description DROVE ME NUTS!

"Very leval headed for a (insert age here ranging from 4-9) TB"

Am I just overly partial to my TB's that I'm insulted?
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

Title: Grand Prix prospect
    It really bugs me when let's say the horse being advertised is a 10 year old and they say "schooling 4ft with potential for the High's or Grand Prix"... if the horse is 10, chances are it's no longer schooling, it's probably doing what it will do for the rest of it's career.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Oh yes. And they have to give an elaborate background as to WHY the horses isn't showing grand prix yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wingedmare View Post
    Oh yes. And they have to give an elaborate background as to WHY the horses isn't showing grand prix yet.
    I think that annoys me the most: Excuses for all sorts of things (why the horse is at the level it's at, poor pictures, etc.) There was a great post on ewarmbloods posted from someone in the market about what they wanted to see in the potential ad and what they didn't... very useful and straight from the source.

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    It really bugs me when let's say the horse being advertised is a 10 year old and they say "schooling 4ft with potential for the High's or Grand Prix"... if the horse is 10, chances are it's no longer schooling, it's probably doing what it will do for the rest of it's career.
    Sorry, but this I can see this, from someone who didn't go to YJC, and wanted their horse to be SANE and SOUND as a teenager. Not everyone wants their horses minds blown or lame and/or getting major injections by the time the horse is 8...

If the ad is on Craigslist, then YEA RIGHT, if the ad is in a reputable equine magazine or website, maybe.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

"its leg is just floppy."

Sorry, see related ::headdesk:: rant. After that, any ad looks promising. d;

How about ads for Arabians that need an experienced rider and would be a great endurance prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    "its leg is just floppy."

Sorry, see related ::headdesk:: rant. After that, any ad looks promising. d;
    LOL!! Oh, that had me going too.

And as for the pictures...ya, why if you are trying to sell your horse do I want to see a picture of it's muddy butt while it's head is burried in it's hay? Sigh...

My BIGGEST pet peeve (in sales ads or in person):

"[horse] started late so will be sounder than your average horse!"

Yep, I bet your 11yo unbroke horse will hold up to the rigors of jumping [big] jumps better than a 5 or 6yo. Just like your average human athlete is at the top of their game at 40.

No pictures. When I was horse shopping I skipped right over the ones with no pictures. I wasn't going to waste my time emailing 100 people asking for pictures from them when there were PLENTY of other ads with great pics in them.
    Takes like 10 minutes to get some good pictures, people! It doesn't so much annoy me, because like I said there's a lot of other ads with great pics, but it just doesn't make sense if you actually want to sell your horse.
    Katie

not true at all. some grand pix horses are brought up slowly, because owners want to prevent injuries and such. it makes complete sense if you think about it.
    if you rush into a relationship, things dont end good (stupid example)
    you rush a young horse into jumping big jumps when they are still learning...well i am rambling now, but lets hope you get the point

and i hate when the pictures are head shots, or none at all. or what about leaving out the location!?!?! these people drive me insane...

I think that annoys me the most: Excuses for all sorts of things (why the horse is at the level it's at, poor pictures, etc.) There was a great post on ewarmbloods posted from someone in the market about what they wanted to see in the potential ad and what they didn't... very useful and straight from the source.
    when they check or list the following in the ad:

endurance, english, hunter, western, park, driving, reining, working cow, halter, jumper, 3day event, racing, harness prospect.

Ok, I myself have an all-around horse that has been quite successful, and another racing bred endurance Arab...but still, aint no way he's a suitable prospect for endurance AND park AND western pleasure AND trail AND jumpers AND informal combination driving....
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

My biggest pet peeve are ads for "failed" hunters that are touted as being "dressage prospects" or "perfect for dressage" and in the next sentence they are bragged up as having "auto changes".

*whaps forehead*

And they usually have a ridiculous price tag because the owner thinks some dressage dork is going to go ga-ga and buy it.

Most of these horses -- and I say "most" when I really mean ALL that I've looked at over the past four months -- are flat-kneed leg movers with no rear angles to speak of. The horse needs to be able to get its hooves under its belly, okay?

Auto-changes. Shee-yah. You do *not* want a horse that auto-changes for dressage. Auto-changes are almost impossible to train out once a horse starts doing them. Try to teach a horse that auto-changes to counter canter. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Rant off.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

People who can't spell. "Grate horse, broke good, enyone can ride."

People who can't count. "10-year-old, born 2005. Have had him for 15 years, and he taught both me and my children to ride. Beloved family member. Reluctantly must sell."

GONG!!!!!!

No photos or bad photos. Lack of decent photos makes me skip the ad completely.
    Don't want a grazing shot, poorly stood up shot, head shot, shot of horse wearing a santa hat, etc. I figure if the seller isn't serious about photos they aren't serious about selling.

On the horse sales sites where you can choose disciplines...seeing "prospect" under almost every freaking option. NO horse is a good prospect for western pleasure, hunters, jumpers, dressage, driving, vaulting, reining and underwater basketweaving.
    Hell, if the horse has that many prospects, why does it need me?

And this is just a pet peeve but I really dislike the old overused: "buy him now or be beat by him later!" Bullshite, if the horse can win anything no matter who's on it's back....you wouldn't be selling it.

If there's photos, don't take up the ad space telling me all about the horse's coloring. I've got eyes, they work fine. I can already see it's got chrome in whatever places, is a dilute, looks like Black Beauty, whatever. Tell me what the photo doesn't say. And for goodness sake, nobody freaking cares if your gelding is homozygous for anything.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

"Great potential. 16.5hh..."

Uh, if you can't even measure how can you determine it's potential?

No photos or no price, both make me pass that ad without reading it.

"I raised this horse, he is my baby and needs to go to a good home.
    He is ten and not started under saddle yet, but the kids sat on his back as a yearling and would make someone a great xyz horse".

He has been overweight all his life, borderly foundered and walking all over people.

Hahah... these are great, keep them coming!

Price and Location!

I hate tirekickers! And I don't want to be one! When I am looking for a horse I know what I can spend and I only want to look at horses that I can afford. I hate seeing something that I like and seeing...email for price...then finding out the horse is priced 10k more then I can spend. I don't want to waste your time or mine.