The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bug bite that left a "hole" in the skin

My horse, who seems to be very sensitive to summer bugs and generally gets a few lumps and scabs in the summer no matter what I do (unless I treat her with steroids which I prefer not to do) came in the other day with one of these sores on her face/cheek. I just assumed it was the same as all the rest, open sore with slight puss and then in a day or two would scab over and dry up and within a week the scab would fall off and her hair would start to grow back...this bump got worse, started as an open sore that weeped, then it did scab over a little but was still red and losing hair. After about 5 days I cleaned off the scab really well and saw that it looked like she had a hole on her cheek. I cleaned at it some more trying to get anything out of the hole, but nothing appear but clear fluid. Anyone have any recomendations on how to treat this? I have been using warm compresses and then just alcohol to clean it and icthamol when she goes out. I don't know if there is still something in the hole or not.

thanks

My horse gets tick bites like this, and I washed with hydrogen peroxide to clean it well, then use Animax for a day or two.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
    My horse, who seems to be very sensitive to summer bugs and generally gets a few lumps and scabs in the summer no matter what I do (unless I treat her with steroids which I prefer not to do) came in the other day with one of these sores on her face/cheek. I just assumed it was the same as all the rest, open sore with slight puss and then in a day or two would scab over and dry up and within a week the scab would fall off and her hair would start to grow back...this bump got worse, started as an open sore that weeped, then it did scab over a little but was still red and losing hair. After about 5 days I cleaned off the scab really well and saw that it looked like she had a hole on her cheek. I cleaned at it some more trying to get anything out of the hole, but nothing appear but clear fluid. Anyone have any recomendations on how to treat this? I have been using warm compresses and then just alcohol to clean it and icthamol when she goes out. I don't know if there is still something in the hole or not.

thanks
    Sounds like a spider bite. Ya might want to have the vet look at it.
    Brian Purrington, Farrier
    443-564-0231 wellshodhorses@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Purrington View Post
    Sounds like a spider bite. Ya might want to have the vet look at it.

That's what I was thinking too. I've seen some brown recluse bites that got HUGE and left huge holes/dents where the skin went necrotic.

I have seen a few this year as well. None that I can remember last year.
    Might have something to do with the amount of moisture the east has had this year.
    I don't know if the recluse is a NJ "native" but other spiders can cause a 'simliar' wound.

Do warbler flies infect horses?

Quote Originally Posted by matryoshka View Post
    Do warbler flies infect horses?
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/dise...ble/warblefly/

Seems as if they can be affected.

yes warbles can affect horses,although they normally come out along the backbone,they can emerge anywhere.

Nasty little buggers they are.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Sounds like a spider bite to me. Had a horse get one on his neck once.. took awhile for it to clear up and he lost all the hair around the bite (it did grow back). It looked nasty for awhile though. Oddly I had a spider bite around the same time that I had to get antibiotics for lol.

Default Hay

Just a thought, do you think by her applying the icthymol, she's not allowing it to dry up? Maybe it's drawing too much?

Maybe just use a tiny amount of Swat to keep the bugs off, then wash at night and dab on a light amount of Listerine. Light enough that if she throws her head, it won't go in her eyes. Just as an antiseptic wipe but let the wound dry out over night.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

FWIT, I got the same kind of bite on MY leg, have no idea what got me because I certainly would have squished it good. My leg swelled, and the tissue around the bite blistered and sloughed off (none too pleasant).
    I was on Keflex and used Silvadene twice daily. Took two weeks for the bite to go away. YIKES.
    I second the vet recommendation on this one!

Spider bites are basically the catch-all for anything "unknown" -- in humans and animals. I would really hesitate to diagnose it as such just based on those symptoms (even staph infections such as MRSA are misdiagnosed as spider bites, more frequently than people should be comfortable with!) . I would be more concerned that there was some sort of deeper bacterial infection, foreign matter in the wound, abcess, or parasite. Is the skin around the bite necrotic, or still alive (even if red and irritated)? Is it hot to the touch? Does she have a temperature?

thanks for the input. The tissue seems to just be red and irritated not necrotic. I will check her temperature in the morning, she seems lively and like herself. It doesn't really seem to be hot either.

The reason I wondered about a warbler fly is that they excrete a substance that inhibits healing. It requires veterinary attention. Sounds like a call to the vet is in order anyway.

I also think it sounds like a warble (actually a type of bot fly). My dog had one a few weeks ago. I ended up popping a macaroni-noodle sized worm out of the hole!

I would also be thinking possible cuterebra (from fly).
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by hopashore1 View Post
    Does she have a temperature?
    Pet peeve of mine: Is the temperature *abnormal* or doe he/she have a *fever*? Pretty much every living thing has a temperature of some sort.

strangles can leave holes in the faces cheek and neck areas bastard strangles attack the insides of a horse

i would cal a vet rather than guess

kayolin poutice is one you can use on facial infected sores ie abcesses as facial abcesses do leave holes with pus as you cant bandaged the face kayolin poutice is applied hot and directly on to the area

http://www.equine-strangles.co.uk/About_Strangles.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
    I also think it sounds like a warble (actually a type of bot fly). My dog had one a few weeks ago. I ended up popping a macaroni-noodle sized worm out of the hole!
    I've never seen one until after the worm came out. I've seen the damage and had to put down an elderly cat because of it. She was too old for anaethesia, and the vet said it would have to be scraped and stitched to heal. On a cat, those holes are huge.

Default Had to look up cuterebra

Here's the page on what BuddyRoo mentioned:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/para..._cuterebra.htm

It sounds like the warbler fly, but I'm not sure it is the same thing.