The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ebay purchase, give feedback or not?

I bought a synthetic western saddle on ebay recently. The seller e-mailed a few days ago and asked if I got it yet and to please leave feedback. I had not received it at that point.

My husband picked it up at the post office today. The box was beaten up, the tape was coming off, and box was too big for the saddle, which wasn't padded or wrapped. The saddle itself made it okay, but the saddle is dirty and has mud still on it.

I'm sort of on the fence about feedback. Yeah it got here and wasn't damaged, but the poor packaging and the saddle being dirty makes me want to just not leave feedback.

Thoughts?

There are 3 components of feedback now.
    1) Positive, neg or neutral
    2) your written comments and
    3) 5 core areas rated from 1 star to five

For the core areas-timeliness of shipping, cost, communication, and 2 others i can't remember. I'd sure would leave feedback and mark her accordingly in the shipping area. Sellers can't tell which people left the scores, since they don't show up until you have 10 buyers whom have rated you.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Well, if nothing major was wrong with it, I'd still probably leave positive feedback. And maybe send the seller an email advising her to ship more carefully in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Blaster, I had no idea they changed how you rate. I like that idea.

Kelly, I do plan to let the seller know what it looked like when it arrived. I even took pictures of the box before opening it just in case the saddle was damaged. That's how bad it was.

So, for written comment, could I put something like, "Saddle arrived in good condition. Seller could have cleaned the mud off." or just the first part?

The damage to the packaging may not be the sellers fault. I shipped a bunch of stuff when I moved and all of the boxes were in HORRIBLE shape when the arrived. I packaged and taped well but the boxes were still torn, cut up, etc. One was practically ripped open and I was surprised nothing fell out. They left my hands looking great: one of the postal workers even commented on how well I did packing and taped everything! I was amazed at how bad the boxes looked when they arrived (one was sent back because the USPS managed to rip off the address it was being sent to even after I made sure everything was safe and secure...). Now the lack of wrapping and mud are a different story.
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

As a frequent Ebayer, both seller and buyer, I would leave an HONEST positive. If the saddle was in the condition as described, sans mud etc, leave a positve but do mention the dirt.

I once purchased an auto waterer for my dogs. The kind with the charcoal filter and trickle.

It was used.

I knew that.

They sent me the used filter. Complete with crud. Ick.

I left a neutral, since the shipping was slow, the unit (filter aside) was super dirty.

They returned with a negative saying "we said used!!!" Ebay took the neg away. C'mon now.

On the other hand...I bought a synthetic saddle for my niece for a song...like under $100...they sent a dressage girth with it (no charge) matted with chestnut hairs and dirt...I tossed the girth (ap saddle) and left a positive...saddle was as described...shipping timely, etc etc...

when that happens to me and I am not super pleased, but there isn't anything seriously wrong, I usually just leave short to the point feedback like, "arrived, thank you" and then I will put lower on the stars where applicable. I don't want to sound petty if it isn't anything serious, but I also don't want to gush on feedback like I normally do when I've had a great transaction. Especially if you got it for a good price. Some people really don't know how a saddle should be cleaned and packaged. Usually I prefer that it is dirty and I can clean it myself properly then to buy something that someone tried to clean and used the wrong product/method etc. and damaged the item. At least if you clean it yourself you know what you used on it.
    Honestly, I don't really think any of the things you described are really worth leaving bad feedback or not leaving feedback at all over. the saddle is okay, I know it's disappointing, but hey- you got the saddle, it's fine and it's over. If it was a looong wait or it was messed up and you had to send it back or argue about it, go through a hassle etc. then it would be negative feedback time
    Moving at the Speed of Haflinger

I did e-mail the seller about the packaging and the reply was basically he was sorry but went on to say it was the same box it came in and was probably dirty when he got it. He just put it on his horse, it didn't fit and he never used it.

I don't do a lot of buying or selling on ebay but have done some so I'm aware the post office sometimes likes to play kickball with the boxes. That's why when I ship, I wrap the item well and tape the heck out of the box. With a saddle, I at least wrap the horn. I got two other packages this week that were well taped and survived the mail person somehow cramming them into my box. That said....

I will go ahead and leave something short for a comment and give lower stars. The saddle did arrive and is as listed.

Thanks all

You can say something in the feedback like "could have been packaged better" without actually leaving a negative feedback.

I've only left neg. feedback once- that was when something arrived incomplete and the guy didn't check his e-mail for 3 weeks.

Agreed with leaving a positive but mentioning the poor shipping. Negative feedback is really supposed to be for the product is wildly unlike described, broken, takes a ridiculous amount of time to get shipped out and received, etc.

I've left negative feedback once, for Equiteric. It took them nearly 2 MONTHS to get a set of 3 nylon halters to me. Between that and their snotty customer service rep telling me it was my fault because I didn't pay for insurance.. yeah they deserved that negative.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I've left negative feedback once, for Equiteric. It took them nearly 2 MONTHS to get a set of 3 nylon halters to me. Between that and their snotty customer service rep telling me it was my fault because I didn't pay for insurance.. yeah they deserved that negative.
    By the way, e-bay has changed their shipping rules so that sellers can no longer offer insurance as optional, with the admonition that sellers are responsible for getting their items to the customer, not just to the mailbox.

Sellers can still purchase insurance but if they don't they still have to make good on shipping issues.

I thought that was a very good move on e-bay's part.

I think that's the breaks when it comes to buying used. Some people just don't think to clean the item. I've bought four used blankets off of ebay in the past year and one came complete with manure . I always re-clean them myself, whether they look clean or not, but it is kind of funny. On the opposite end of the spectrum I had one come in two plastic bags complete with handfuls of dryer sheets.

Son of a gun! I had a whole answer typed up and hit the wrong button.

I was never going to leave a neg. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to leave anything. I did leave a pos and metioned the packaging and the mud.

Ambrey, that's interesting. This seller, as well as others I've seen and even bought from recently, say in their listing that they are not responsible for it once it leaves their hands and that insurance is optional/extra.

Thanks all for the input. I probably would have gone ahead and left a positive. I sometimes need a day or two to get over what is usually not that big a deal. It's the Irish in me I guess.