The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Hair loss/pink skin - what could be the cause?

My poor boy has some sort of skin issue happening right now and I have no clue what is the cause and therefore, no idea how to help him get better. Mybe someone here has had the same issue? Some background: I've owned him for over 3 years now and never had any problems - he is 6 and a pinto warmblood.

He was fine on Tuesday, I wasn't at the barn Wednesday and then I noticed yesterday this issue and it seems more noticable today. On his off side above his loins and on his near side in large patches on his shoulder up to his withers the pink skin is really showing through and the hair is thin and coming out.... to the point that when I wiped my hand over it it basically removes all the hair and his skin colouration outline for the bay part is very noticable. He is very sensitive and flinches if I even go to touch it. At first I thought it was a sunburn as it's hot feeling and very pink but it's so uneven and I would think all of the white of his coat in the same area exposed to the sun would be affected. I mean the area of his loins is white and yet just one side is nearly bare. I'm wondering if it is something like the shampoo I use (Equss) even though I've used it every year or if the barn has changed something like his shavings.

As a side note he is also very stiff on his near side and has been very girhty and spooky this past week. He's trying to tell me there is something amiss but I'm at a loss but I need to figure out how to help him! Any ideas are welcome.

more than likely rain rot - please do not ride the horse until hes is all healed up and fur re grown
    get some hibbyscrub and wash the horse off then dry and appply zinc and caster oil cream as its acta s barrier agianst moisture and its soothing as its a nappy rash cream wash the horse of daily his fur will come away some times in big clumps but dont pick it of until its soft as its very sore and painful for the horse - dont turn him out in rian or wet weather whiles hes healing - and dont ride ride him either
    dont put on any rugs until the fur has come back in

keep the stable clean and keep him in in wet weather-- depends how bad depends how long it takes but good hygene protcol
    cleean your tack and disinfect everything used on him so it doesnt come back

look here http://www.equine-world.co.uk/horses...rain_scald.htm

It hasn't rained here for weeks though and there are no scabby parts anywhere on his coat so I don't think it's rain scald. It looks just like a burn but it hasn't been higher than the low 20s around here. Here is a picture:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...0186700&ref=mf

Rain rot doesn't come from rain. It's caused by a fungus that is found in mud/dirt. Moisture just tends to make it worse. And air temperature wouldn't keep him from getting sunburned. You can get sunburned on a cloudy day or the dead of winter.

That said, it doesn't look like rain rot. Not scabby, and it looks like it's only on the white part. That's really strange. I haven't seen that before, but it does look a little bit like a sunburn. It could be possible to burn in one area and not another. Sort of like how the top of my forehead and my nose burn more than the rest of my face. Seems like the croup would burn before the side of his hip, but maybe not. Weird.

And Stink, what is hibbyscrub?