The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding beet pulp - recommendations?

My 30-year old QH is having issues keeping his weight on and I'm beginning to feed him beet pulp. I'm having trouble figuring out how much I should be feeding him - can anyone share their experiences?

I've started him with 2 C (dry) which I'm soaking prior to feeding him.

Here's info on the horse:
    - 30 YO QH gelding, 15hh, ~ 1050lbs
    - Completely retired - no work (other than babysitting the rest of the crew)
    - Free choice mixed grass hay, 1 Qt pelleted grain & 3 Qts hay extender pellets 2X/day
    - Teeth are done regularly, and he's up to date on worming (have done fecal)
    - 24/7 turnout with a run-in
    - Good overall condition (glossy coat, good energy in field)

He's historically been an easy keeper (I've had him 21 years) but doesn't have much left in the way of teeth these days I have had the vet check him, and he didn't find any physical issues - thinks he's probably just not processing his food as efficiently as in the past. He's not skinny skinny - just at the point where I can see his ribs and I don't want him to go into the winter like that.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

The first thing I would recommend is adding a multivitamin UNLESS the pellets are a ration balancer of some type. If they are just a complete feed, then I am assuming he is not getting his daily requirements in way of vitamins and minerals. Just be sure to do ONE or the OTHER, as in up the grain to the recommended amount on the bag or use the multivitamin.

As for beet, my guy cannot be on grain, so he gets 1 lb (presoaked wieght = 1 QT in my scoop) of the plain pelleted beet. After it is soaked, it fills about 6QTs of an 8 QT bucket. This is fed twice a day.

You can also consider adding rice bran for added fat. My guy gets 1 lb. a DAY to balance out his feed. The rest of the time, he gets free choice grass hay. He is what I would consider a hard keeper.

I feed shredded beet pulp to our horses. My big mare (1400 lb Friesian) gets 4 coffee cans of dry shreds (soaked before feeding) a day (2 cans am and 2 cans pm). I'm not sure how that equates to cups, but the coffee can is the size that holds 1lb of coffee.

She also gets 7 lbs of Dengie Alfa Supreme soaked. I have found the Alfalfa to put more weight and muscle on her than anything else. With your guys teeth issues, have you thought about feeding soaked alfalfa cubes??? It may help with the wieght.

I also feed a fat supplement (currently Weight Builder, but I've also given plain vegetable oil)

Good luck with your old guy!

My old pony still had all of her teeth minus one molar when she passed at age 44. The last 8 years of her life, I had her on one scoop each of beet pulp and alfalfa cubes, soaked well. She also got a mix of regular & senior feed and free choice hay (which she liked to chew and spit out) I also mixed a scoop of electrolytes in with her feed to encourage her to drink enough. She thrived on it, and never lost any weight, just maintained that round pony belly right to the end.
    Good luck with your guy, and give the soaked alfalfa cubes a try as well.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

You could give pre- or pro-biotics to help with the digestion of what you are feeding. The gut isn't able to maintain the bacteria needed for complete digestion in older horses so supplimenting the gut flora with "new" flora can help.

Beet pulp won't necessarily add calories but it will help maintain water levels and good gut motility with extra fiber. And in the winter good fiber helps keep the horse warm.

Good luck with your senior!!!

GreyDes is online now Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default Thank You!

Thanks for the suggestions - will definitely look into the probiotic and multi-vitamin.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    My 30-year old QH is having issues keeping his weight on and I'm beginning to feed him beet pulp. I'm having trouble figuring out how much I should be feeding him - can anyone share their experiences?

I've started him with 2 C (dry) which I'm soaking prior to feeding him.

Here's info on the horse:
    - 30 YO QH gelding, 15hh, ~ 1050lbs
    - Completely retired - no work (other than babysitting the rest of the crew)
    - Free choice mixed grass hay, 1 Qt pelleted grain & 3 Qts hay extender pellets 2X/day
    - Teeth are done regularly, and he's up to date on worming (have done fecal)
    - 24/7 turnout with a run-in
    - Good overall condition (glossy coat, good energy in field)

He's historically been an easy keeper (I've had him 21 years) but doesn't have much left in the way of teeth these days I have had the vet check him, and he didn't find any physical issues - thinks he's probably just not processing his food as efficiently as in the past. He's not skinny skinny - just at the point where I can see his ribs and I don't want him to go into the winter like that.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    I'd recommend a good probiotic such as fastrack or probios to help aid his digestion,and i love love love Triple Crown Senior-its beetpulp based,high fat,high fiber,is low starch/sugar and contains rice bran-and most horses love it....and 2 cups beetpulp am/pm is good to start w/...and see how he looks in over the course of 2-4wks then you can adjust up or down as needed....and you can also add rice bran pellets after awhile if he still needs to gain more....also free choice good quality hay if he can chew it...even some alfalfa or a mix would help too.