The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird Leg Thing

Today I went to pick out my mare's left hind leg. I asked her to pick it up,and instead she sort of rolled it on her fetlock, sort of like she was trying to pick it up, but her joints were not cooperating. I ask again, and she picked it up sideways, and then immediately snaps it back down. At this point, I start looking over the leg carefully, in case there was some injury or something I missed during grooming. The muscle where the leg joins the body was twitching slightly, but no injury, and the twitching stopped in a couple seconds. I got a friend to come look. I asked her to pick up the leg again, and she was normal. I asked maybe a dozen more times, and she was completely normal. Trotted her onconcrete and she was sound and fine, came back later and tried again and she was still normal.

A simular thing happened once over a year ago, I can't remember if it was the same leg or not though, but I dismissed that as a fluke, but now I don't know whether or not I should worry. Anyone see anything like this? I am not sure if it was just a muscle spasm or a cramp or something, any ideas?
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

I wished I could find back the book & picture I read this in, but when a horse rolls a hind onto the fetlock, it's usually because of some stifle strain.
    My horse does this at times and that's how I started searching for it and came across it. It was a lameness book that had a very specific picture of a horse with that particular stance.

Other then that if your horse picks up the leg but instantly snatches it back onto the floor, it could be neurological, as in shivers for example, that's quite a typical thing for shivers, especially the muscle twitching (quivering) over the hindquarters.

HOWEVER, really since this only happened once to your mare and not anymore (other then a year back), I would not worry about it at all unless it starts to happen more frequently. She probably felt a spasm or so somewhere, totally accidental and my guess it won't happen again.

Thanks! I haddn't been able to find anything on it. I will keep an eye out for reoccurance, but not worry until then.
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

OP, did you ever figure out the problem? I know this thread is 2 years old but I recently had a horse do the same thing when trying to pick out his left hind foot. A COTH search led me to your thread

I have been doing horses for ever and have never come across anything like it. So I am curious to try and find the root cause to possibly prevent future occurances!