The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tell me about your Dachshund farm dogs!

I am curious as to whom has a dachshund farm dog!

My husband and I have a lab x, a pit x, and a mini dachsy. We are hoping to add another mini to our pack this weekend.

Who else has them!

Please post pics and tell tales!

I will post pics after this weekend.

Well, we have a somewhat fat fifteen year old mini called Long John, and the reason he is called that is after the Tim Horton's long johns that are long donuts with a brown icing on top and he is a little brown daxie. He is the cutest little man in the world and our company mascot. Our customers know him by name and he knows them - esp. the ones who bring him cookies and treats. He hangs out all day like a little Wall Mart greeter, barking to let us know that somebody important has shown up. He is perfectly safe around the horse barn and gets on fine with the two greyhounds - he can run as fast as them because he can cut corners and they have to take wide turns! At night he gets tucked into his bed with a blankie and is still under it in the mornings. I think you could say he is pretty well loved and lives in doggie heaven.

We have only had our little miss Leila for 4.5 months. She was soooo tiny when we got her. Now she weighs 7.5 pounds. Her long coat is coming in now. She loves helping us feed the horses. She loves playing in the hay....strange puppy! When the water troughs run over, she plays in the mud. Did I mention she is black and tan piebald. She has lots of white and long hair to boot. She is the neatest little girl when it comes to the horses. She stays out of harms way. She can duck under the boards if need be to get out of the way. I am hoping to add another one to our mix. I will keep my fingers crossed!

I have my mother's daschund currently. While he likes a good run outside, he's not exactly outdoor friendly..lol. He is scared of most everything, including the cats (my JRT is helping him work through that issue), and spends alot of his outdoor time barking at spooky stuff. Having said that, he is a great companion for my Jack Russell and they have loads of fun together.

Hunter is a dapple and probably would be overweight, but he runs pretty hardcore playing with Tanner.

Hunter:
    http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/72709007.jpg

Playing with the JRT:
    http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/72709012.jpg
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

We always had doxie's growing up so I've always loved the breed. At the Kentucky Summer shows I stumbled across a standard size long haired doxie that was used fro breeding in a puppy mill. She was up for adoption and since we just lost our first doxie (at 21!) in January I couldn't walk away. I've had her for a few months now and love her to death. She gets along so well with my other dogs and even my JRT (who goes everywhere with me and thinks she's a human). I now have two dogs that go everywhere with me .

Her only problem spot on the farm was that she has/had a very intense chase instinct and would try and chase the horses when they started running in turnout. She slipped the leash one of the first days I had her home, got stepped on, tore her leg open and 15 stitches later has never tried it again. She's very brave and friendly for a dog that had no socialization in her early years though. If you can find a doxie that needs a home don't hesitate! They're def my breed of choice. I love their attitude and personalities.

I breed and show dachshunds so I am a bit prejudice... They get along well with my horses and know enough to stay out from under foot (or hoof). My one bitch just hated it when my mare would lay down to roll in the field though Dachshunds have a very strong prey drive and many have selective hearing, so that is something to take into consideration when getting one. They are great mousers and not usually as hyper as JRTs....

I have a lovely long-haired mini dachshund, but she is not a barn dog. About a year after we got her (we rescued her when she was around 6) we took her to the wiener dog races at Batavia Downs racetrack. As we came around the corner and she saw the horses warming up for the next race out on the track, she went absolutely insane--barking, raging against the leash, squirming out of my arms when I picked her up--just crazy. She's normally a well-behaved and very sweet, sociable dog--but she was absolutely out of her mind wanting to go after the horses. We had to take her home. A year later we brought her with us when we went to Niagara-on-the-lake in Canada, and when she saw carriage horses, it was the same scenario. We'd be walking down the street and hear hooves, and have to duck into the nearest store before she caught wind of the horse. Brought her to my barn to try to desensitize her a bit, but even with horses just standing and not moving, she was like a lunatic. So I am resigned to never having my dog at the barn!

She did briefly meet a pony at an SPCA fundraiser I took her too, and was excited but controllable... here's the pic they took: http://www.yourspca.org/images/conte...arge_21687.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    Dachshunds have a very strong prey drive and many have selective hearing, so that is something to take into consideration when getting one.
    Grew up with dachsies, and love them, but the above is very true. My sister has two right now and she likes to joke that with dachsies, as far as they are concerned, you (the owner) didn't even exist in this world until they showed up!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I might have the oldest, fattest doxie on the board....

He's 10ish years old and was so heavy when I found him at the pound, his belly dragged. We were told he had an elderly owner who passed away and she had fed him everything she ate. He also only went potty on paper in the corner. We've had him a few years now, and he has gone from being terrified to stick his nose out the door to making almost daily treks to the barn to nose around. He is still terrified of the barn cats, tho. He has lost about 20% of his body weight and is still a large guy, but much healthier and more mobile now - can even make it up on the sofa by himself. He is very vocal - grunts and "talks" to us all the time - is that normal for them, Arizona? I've always had little mixed terrier types, but he's my first doxie.

Here's Chester:
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...lv/Chester.jpg

joeyforever Guest

I have 2 minis and they r the funniest dogs around the farm! They love riding on our john deer gator every time they here it they run and jump in it!!! tHEY ARE always herding the goats in to the feilds to because thats their job!!! Let me know if u get more!

mine HATES horses, but LOVES the water. She must wear a lifejacket on the boat b/c she will jump over bord if she sees a bird, even if the boat is moving!
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

starlightspectre Guest

I just started taking my doxie chahuahua mix out to the barn and she is the best little barn dog ! She loves to ride on the tractor .

Quote Originally Posted by pinkme View Post
    mine HATES horses, but LOVES the water. She must wear a lifejacket on the boat b/c she will jump over bord if she sees a bird, even if the boat is moving!
    Is yours a longhair? My longhair is obsessed with birds, and I always wonder if it's the ancestral spaniel coming out or something. (:

We had several when I was a kid. (We got "temporarily" [ha!] stuck with somebody's litter of puppies when their trailer house burned down -- nothing saved but the bitch and her litter -- and the owner only took the bitch and one pup back when she got resituated in new quarters.)

The two long-haired males who lived in the barn were OK. Quite shy, but not agressive toward the cats, and minded their own business. They'd cuddle when you offered, but they didn't accost you for attention at every opportunity.

The two short haired females that lived in the house where horrid, vile little beasts (I thought; my parents were quite besotted). Aside from being cat-killers (if they could catch a cat, which didn't happen very often), they were yappie little monsters with huge separation anxiety. Anything happened on the farm, they had to be RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT, no matter what hinderence they were (if left in the house, they'd get up on whatever furniture that would let them see out the window and yap nonstop). If outdoor circumstances demanded a hurry to remedy, the dogs were right under our feet trying to insert themselves into the situation as we rushed out the door. If we were expecting company, they were frantic the whole time we waited, and when the company arrived, it was non-stop barking until the company left.

Overall, I don't think the occasional moments of cuteness overload were enought to offset the nuisance. I like dogs like the Malemute/Husky cross I had who was content to sprawl out on the floor 23 hours a day unless it was clear that something else was required of him.

A friend who lives in the woods has a mini Dachshund, and one issue I was struck by was that pretty much all carnivores out there eye that little weiner dog with unnerving interest, and there have been some near misses. Another time, he was lost and subsquently discovered very unhappy in a live trap someone had set for a raccoon. Clearly, he faces some challenges as a small dog

Quote Originally Posted by WendellsGirl View Post
    I've always had little mixed terrier types, but he's my first doxie. Here's Chester:
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...lv/Chester.jpg
    Such a beautiful photo! And I believe that there's a very strong feeling that the Dachshund was incorrectly placed in the Hound group and belongs in the Terrier group instead, owing to their original purpose and their personality. So maybe you still have a little terrier

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    they were yappie little monsters with huge separation anxiety. Anything happened on the farm, they had to be RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT, no matter what hinderence they were (if left in the house, they'd get up on whatever furniture that would let them see out the window and yap nonstop). If outdoor circumstances demanded a hurry to remedy, the dogs were right under our feet trying to insert themselves into the situation as we rushed out the door.
    I think you just described the entire terrier race

Wendell'sGirl - Chester ooks just like Long John did when he ws younger. The beauty of these little mini sausages is that they are custom designed to fit perfectly in your lap, the crook of your arm or up against your shoulder, and they love it.

Well, we have added little Sweet Pea to our pack. He is as described. We are thrilled. We love him. More tomorrow. It was a long trip with many miles today.

Good for you, mustang! We call our dachshund Sweet Pea or Sweet Potato a lot. d; Can't wait to see pictures!

Well, I will ask Dressage Geek to post pictures for me. I just sent them to her. LOL. When she gets back to the lab.

He is quite a bit stockier than she is. He is 2.5 times her weight...I swear he is. We are calling him Deuce n a half! Deuce for short. He is adorable. We love him. He was meant to be here.

Many thanks to Lori and Sunkissed acres!

One of our neighbors has a mock hunt every Wed. night and the hounds are her pack of wiener dogs I don't know if she has 4 or 5 now, but they are farm dogs/house pets/lords and ladies of the manor. All minis.

I used to groom 2 standard rough coated farm dogs who were also national champions.