The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff..watching others ride your horse..

I didn't want to hijack the other thread with this story.....I have a 7 yr old greenie TB/Paint mix...he hasn't had consistent work due to injuries/work/life issues, and tends to get temperamental..anyway, I know how to ride him, and apparently make him look easy to ride (though he's not). I don't mind others at the barn riding him, when my mother/trainer is present and instructing...SO..this past Sunday, my mother (recently widowed) brought a new "man" to the barn (note, they are both in their upper 50's), who claimed to be an experienced rider..has trained/jumped/"showed at Madison Square Garden" (??) anyway...I was riding my horse, they were watching.. when I was done she asked if he could get on and ride him..I said sure, figuring he would just be walking him around...ha, as soon as he got on, my horse pinned his ears..uh oh...guy immediately starts trotting, hands up high, loose reign, legs all over the place..I can see my horse doesn't like him...guy decides to ask for canter (mind you, in horse's bad direction..direction I just went several times around fighting with him and trying to stop the bucking)..suddenly heads for a crossrail. ..yeah..guy popped out of saddle and flies off the horse...of course the TB in him comes out and my horse is gone - bucking and racing around the ring like an idiot and all I can think is here we go...another injury...guy was fine, horse was fine....guy asked mom if he could call again - I was like that's fine, but he is NEVER getting on MY horse again!!! Seriously, what was he trying to prove? That he is a total moron??
    Wrong impression to make on the daughter of the person you are dating!!

Ugh! Watch out it often seems to be the wacky ones that mothers fall in luv with.

At least if it doesn't last you've got a good story to tease her about for years to come

ewww. I hope not..I didn't like the guy when she first introduced me to him (one of those a lot of talk but nothing to back it up)...but Andy (my horse) is the final test....I decided that any other guy needs to get on Andy - he is the test of them...if Andy likes them they are ok..
    Besides...who gets on a horse you never met and just starts trotting, cantering and jumping!! At least take some time to get the feel of the horse for goodness sakes!

If I wasn't laughing I'd cry, sounds like something my mother's new husband would do - if he thought he could ride. He always has to one up everyone - so annoying!!

Oh, and of course it was a Sunday and the entire barn was there to see it..so I'm sure the guy was COMPLETELY embarrassed....at least I was for him - after I got over the anger of what he did on my horse - because of course I then had to get on and ride again to make sure he was ok and didn't think he could get away with getting somebody off like that...ugh..my Dad never came to the barn (at least he never got on a horse - he was ultimate horse show dad)..my mom needs to find someone who doesn't come to the barn..

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    If I wasn't laughing I'd cry, sounds like something my mother's new husband would do - if he thought he could ride. He always has to one up everyone - so annoying!!

When I told my hubby the story I said it looked as if he had gotten on my horse and tried to ride (mind you my hubby has never done anything other than sit on a PONY)...seriously..showed in Madison Square Garden??!! in what..leadline?

oy! i know the feeling. well, not the mom's new boyfriend part, but where you make your tough horse look easy and then some moron decides to show off and only ends up being embaressed aggravating! poor horse.

though the MSG part would be reasonable if he actually was an experienced rider. madison square garden used to host the big shows (like maclay finals) back in the day. impressive that he knew about that. my only guess is that he's either had a few lessons at one point in his life, or that he really WAS a great rider many years ago. and realized that no, it's not quite like riding a bike.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Yeah, I know about MSG...actually went a few times (as spectator..lol) but seriously, the way he was riding...totally questioning the experience...it was definitely more of a show off kind of thing that went totally wrong. I could tell, when he immediately asked for the canter in the direction I was having trouble with, as if to say he could fix it...but when you are totally off balance at the trot it's not a good thing to try to control a bucking canter..and then the crossrail...

[QUOTE=superpony123;4336383]oy! i know the feeling. well, not the mom's new boyfriend part, but where you make your tough horse look easy and then some moron decides to show off and only ends up being embaressed aggravating! poor horse.

Yeah, definitely gave my horse extra carrots!! and a vetrolin bath, since he was so hot after all his running around.. Actually the most bothersome part was seeing the horror this "guy" was doing and that Andy didn't like him...I could totally feel how Andy was feeling when this guy was on him..like, who are you, what are you doing, and GET OFF OF ME.