The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long does bute effect last?

How long does a does 1.5 grams of bute last for?

Currently, testing can find Bute in the system for 7 days. Someone on here posted a link to the banned substances list and it also explains testing.

For pain control, bute is measured and dosed according to body weight of the horse. The correct dosage should last 12 to 24 hours for good pain control and anti-inflammatory effect.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

I would think 12 to 24 hours also. USEF allows 1 gram per 1000 pounds of body weight administered no less than 12 hours before competition, and no more than a total of 2 grams in a 24 hour period.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

My gelding who had pastern arthrodesis surgery on Augest 5th is currently on 1.5 grams of bute twice a day until Tuesday, then on 1 gram of bute twice a day for ten days then on one gram of bute a day until further radiographs in November. I am finding he is significently lamer when he is due for his bute 7AM and 7PM. I am sposed to watch for increased lameness and am feeling a bit confused so am going to video him today and email to my vet for his opinion.