The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB tatoo sleuths, ID help on starvation case?

I rode along with my BO to donate hay and horse cookies to GMACER (Give me a chance equine rescue) yesterday and they have a horse that I told them I'd ask you guys for help on. Here is what I know:

Barn name: Hero
    What we have of his tattoo: 33523
    I think there was one more - something in front- is it supposed to be a letter? There were some dots of ink in front of the numbers.

Poor horse looked really horrible...

If you need any more info, just ask and I will try my best to answer.
    Last edited by Minerva Louise; Aug. 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added a bit

There should be a letter in front. I tried all the possible letters around that age with those 5 numbers, most of them were mares. What are the horse's color and markings? Are you certain those numbers are all correct? (3 could be a faded 8, etc)

These were the two closest male horses, but they are 8 and 16 years old.

Horse Name Pass the Class
    Tattoo E33523
    Year of Birth 2001
    Dam Name Class of French
    Color Dark Bay or Brown
    Sex Horse

Horse Name Regal Rick
    Tattoo W33523
    Year of Birth 1993
    Dam Name Small Regal
    Color Bay
    Sex Gelding

Thanks for trying. I should have taken a photo of the tattoo. You might could read it better than I did.

He was a big dark bay horse, a gelding, medium large irregular star, and (I THINK....) a short sock on at least one hind and front (wasn't thinking of markings just looked at how were his feet). The tattoo was pretty clear, but I am not exactly experienced in tat reading- it was odd, everything was sharp and clear as a bell except for the letter that was just GONE. I wanted to take a photo of the tattoo, but we had given him a couple of cookies by that time and he was looking for more; he didn't have a halter and we couldn't get him to be still, at least, not for looking in his mouth. *I* thought his tattoo looked awfully good except for the missing letter and his teeth looked younger than 10... but then, I have never been taught to read teeth, I have just looked at teeth of horses I have owned or otherwise known.

He was nothing but a walking skeleton. A verrrrrrry sweet, walking skeleton.

He could be imported- Thoroughbreds imported into the U.S. from a foreign country usually contain an asterisk (*) followed by five numbers. If that's the case you'll have to fill out a request form on the Jockey Club website so they can look him up for you.

Take another look at his lip to see if you can figure out any kind of a letter at all. Then let us know for sure what his markings are. It could just be a really poorly inked letter and knowing for sure what his markings are could pull up a match.